Autopsy Hawks defeated by Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

he has not shown he can play at this level forward. Keep him as a defender and only throw him forward as a last resort type thing late in a game if we need a spark.
o_O wow 1 post about Sis going forward and its an obsession? Soooo Sis hasnt show that he can play at the level forward mmmmm ooooookay but youre happy to play him forward to win a game if need be :drunk: Yesterday would have been a nice time to try it in the last qtr.

o_O wow 1 post about Sis going forward and its an obsession? Soooo Sis hasnt show that he can play at the level forward mmmmm ooooookay but youre happy to play him forward to win a game if need be :drunk: Yesterday would have been a nice time to try it in the last qtr.
No it has been a common theme on this board for well over a year... wasn’t aimed at you

Yesterday when he was the only one generating anything from down back when we were already down Stratton and Frawley? Not sure, wouldn’t have hated the move but I would prefer him left down back yesterday.

Always hate losing to Geelong. But not too upset this time around.

They are this years best team and at full strength. We are missing so many key players but importantly leaders which is underrated.

Need to stick fat because things will turn, and I don't think we're out of 2019 by a long shot.

A Cat flog behind me said something along the lines of how crap Hawks were being beaten by Cats reserves midfield.

Wasn't the first (or last) dumb, floggy comment he made, so I just shook my head and laughed (along with a few others).

View attachment 660410
Did Gary Rohan win the lottery 4 times yesterday. Talk about an over celebration after a goal, decent bloke but tone it down Gary, Geez.

Ripped us a new one... absolutely took Mirra to the cleaners on multiple occasions, he doesn’t get much of it but unlike our mid/small forwards he made the most of his chances.

On G8141 using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOTE]
Ripped us a new one... absolutely took Mirra to the cleaners on multiple occasions, he doesn’t get much of it but unlike our mid/small forwards he made the most of his chances.

Perfect example of why Mirra isn’t up to it. Rohan on his day is a dangerous player but completely got off the leash yesterday and made Mirra look way out of his depth. Way way way too slow and not enough footy nous to cover for his lack of pace.

I have always been a fan, last year I had him in my starting side ahead of Chip.. KB did wear my patients thin at times last year, I was starting to doubt myself but yesterday he showed why I have always rated him highly. Is it just me or does he look a lot stronger and bigger, he looks solid through his hips/quads and glutes, looks at home now.
Saw him last weekend at BH at marvel and he is certainly bigger through the core. Planted his body in front time and again and the sandy player couldn't move him. To me this is were he goes up a level as a player. Has always had good skills and a solid interceptor it's his ability to win 1 on 1s which will be crucial for us going forward. Starts doing that regularly Chip will have a hard time getting back in.

Thought the gunston move was to defensive early, obviously the thought was our mids might get beaten in the center clearances. Which we won. Geelong started to use ablett as the spot up forward in the 2nd & 3rd qtr.
Gunston should have been moved fwd!

Fwd line, Nash has had minimal impact,
Breust has been solid but in and out of games. Wingard has only Played 2 games. Poppy had his best game today but has been struggling. Roughy is serviceable but we know he is not a true key position anymore.

I think it's time clarko stuck to gunston as the permant full forward. Or move him down back and play Sicily as the ff!!
We need structure there is not 1 forward leading to the ball carrier it's the laziest forward line I have seen in a while.

I think Sicily up front is a good idea, he does get himself into strife sometimes on the ground not only taking on too much, and not moving the ball quicker but he gets hammered by opposition and umpires. He's fiery too.

So up the front is a safer bet, Gunston is in fact a good interceptor mark and can move up and down the ground as well, with no Stratton and Frawley, we have to be careful not to get into strife down the back and perhaps we need a crasher, lower to the ground, someone like Poppy, down the back.

No!!! I don't mean Poppy himself , he holds the ball in the forward line more times than anyone even tries to.

Some one who is hard and aggressive at the ball and never lets up!

Someone who will chase like crazy, (like Poppy does) but in defence.

If ever a bloke will chase its Puopolo, he is a demon for catching people .If not he frightens them or spoils them .

Hawthorn are not playing unsociable football these days.

If we won the clearances for the day , it was only because of McEvoy. And Worpal on a couple of occasions. He did really well.

I don't see the nasty in our club at the moment except for Poppy. I never know why a player whose chasing down a runner with the ball, never cut the ring against a runner ( said it before) never go inside actually to them, its not always that the ball carrier is faster its that the players appear to not want to make contact.

Not just Hawthorn , every body!

Maybe its because the rules have frightened off the contesting type players , that is a tragedy.

Yet some ( few) games you see it, where out of the blue, a club is every where like bloody flies on a carcass, all over their opposition and huge pressure, at Hawthorn right now, I don't see much of that, at all.

And if you are going to leave your forward line empty where's the fast breaker, into open goals, where's the quickest way into attack gone.

The game is played like robotics every thing looks the same, yet the commentary is laughable about tactics and skill , and game plans, really the contest is dying, just follow the rule, kick to the boundary, never take chances , never use the middle .

Just once I 'd like to see a team take on footy by risking everything , even a full game and getting smashed first time out, but going and attacking in every move they make, and that takes running players , running like there bleeding lives depend on it, run, hassle , tackle, and when you see your team mate with the ball, call for it or run like hell into attack.

When the play is finished , in that instance, get back to where you bloody well should be, that is Australian rules.

Its called SIMPLE FOOTBALL. If you do it long enough in a game.

All game!!!!!

If your fit enough ?

And at this level you SHOULD BE... !?

Then go out and die of exhaustion!

You won't die of course.

You will feel like you have died. You'll feel great too!

Our game now is so predictable , every one looks the same.

And how baffling is it so many players are free to get hold of the ball even at close quarters too easy, no one team tags now, you should be on a man right next to him.

When there is a kick out why not be touching your opponent , you don't have to infringe, do that all the time, doesn't matter where you play , if your team has the pill, you are an attacker!

When the opposition gets the thing, you are ALL defenders. Then RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is not how the game is played now. And its getting more noticeable by the week!

If some team did this, with high skill and as fit as any athlete SHOULD BE at this level , they 'd kill all the opposition teams,
Because they'd actually be playing footy, no one can do it these days. Too many tactics and boredom and "plans"

It looks same old same old and pissy ! There appears to be very few footballers playing football these days, and the kicking is atrocious , but I blame expansion for that.

C'mon Hawks back to the real thing.

Good to see the team fight it out in the 4th. Coughed up too many easy goals from turnovers and an inability to halve a lot of contests near the boundary. With the amount of possession Ablett, Dangerfield and Kelly had around mid-field the score could have been much uglier.
Seemed to be a lack of talk or maybe confidence, as there were at least a couple of times in that last quarter we won a clearance at half-forward and the players had time and space and clear air in front of them but chose to blindly kick forward and the ball was marked by Geelong defender.

Worpel was outstanding today.

I've been wanting Lewis in the side since the start of the year and he went better than I thought he would.
Was impressed with his follow-up efforts after the initial marking contest.
Roughy also looked more useful forward hovering around the contest and not competing in the air.

Scrimshaw had an ordinary first-half but didn't drop his bundle and finished the game well.

Morrison needs time at Box Hill to get some touch.

Stands out when we play Geelong for some reason, but it drives me nuts when players coming off half-back seem to either lack awareness or underestimate the nearby opposition's closing speed trying to pass the ball in that 30-40m range.

Not sure what to do with Nash. With his speed, he looks suited to getting goals over the back where he needs to outrun the last defender to the ball and then kick a goal from the square, but we don't create a lot of those opportunities and we have Poppy, Wingard and Breust for those plays as well.

Geelong the better team on the day, won , but the Hawks helped them a little , as Clarko said, fumbling turnovers not so good at goal. Too many chances from the boundary too hard to score, when do we attack real hard and straight?

Saw him last weekend at BH at marvel and he is certainly bigger through the core. Planted his body in front time and again and the sandy player couldn't move him. To me this is were he goes up a level as a player. Has always had good skills and a solid interceptor it's his ability to win 1 on 1s which will be crucial for us going forward. Starts doing that regularly Chip will have a hard time getting back in.

It’s only a positive for the club and our future if he keeps Chip out, KB is levels above him with ball in hand so if he gets the defensive aspect sorted out then it’s a no brainer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong the better team on the day, won , but the Hawks helped them a little , as Clarko said, fumbling turnovers not so good at goal. Too many chances from the boundary too hard to score, when do we attack real hard and straight?

Yet another case of Hawthorn doing more to help them lose the game than Geelong did to win it. I won't say the margin flattered the Cats but we really did contribute to our own demise and not always due to pressure. This can and will be fixed. Remember, Hawthorn doesn't just build a premiership team like Tigers and Bulldogs, it builds a premiership dynasty.

I liked much of yesterday , this IS a rebuild period , we must keep that in mind , going fwd
Outs Ins
Mirra Stratts
Nash. Chips
Morrison. Burgs
Cuz. Shiels

These changes alone imo will make us very damaging ...

If we are in fact rebuilding why have you named 3 30+ year olds to come back in . Stratton being captain obviously will slot straight in but moving forward I'm not sure we need to rush burgoyne and frawley back.

Everyone is raving mad about Mitchell - Lewis game, I thought he was OK not great! Brand is the man who should be getting more credit!

On G8141 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the reason for this is that Brand has had good games before. Mitchell Lewis' first two games were complete train wrecks, so this game shows his wares to the audience.

Plus, who doesn't love a forward that kicks goals over a backman who does his job well??

View attachment 660410
Did Gary Rohan win the lottery 4 times yesterday. Talk about an over celebration after a goal, decent bloke but tone it down Gary, Geez.

WTF? Can't a guy kick a goal and celebrate? Make sure you're consistent and have a crack if any Hawthorn players celebrate.

Celebrations are fantastic. The best celebrations are in the NFL as touchdowns are harder to come by than goals, and the whole side gets in on it. Brilliant!

Not too bad. Think Bruest, Smith and Gunston have had their games, this year, but have overall not been up to their usual standard.

You're going to find that people love a scapegoat and rarely go after the established names. Some also love to shoot down as many as they came and then scream how correct they were when one of their hatchet jobs comes off.

Personally i think Mirra is only plugging a hole, whilst Clarko shuffles pieces to find the correct mix. He is a very serviceable player and does a decent job. Always need players like him on the list.

Go Hawks!

In a way, I see Mirra as I did Cheney, good solid back up depth player for us.

It’s only a positive for the club and our future if he keeps Chip out, KB is levels above him with ball in hand so if he gets the defensive aspect sorted out then it’s a no brainer.
TBH wouldn't mind having both of them down there as long as it doesn't mess with our style of play. We can actually release Stratts into a more roaming role with Sicily cutting off forward thrusts repeatedly. Would actually give us a proper backline with all bases covered. Clarko doesn't like having both of them there though so its wishful thinking ATM

Decent effort by most, but we were just not batting deep enough today.

Some positives in Worpel and Lewis.

Still amazing to think that despite our bottom 6 doing almost nothing we were not blown out of the water with our two best defenders in the stands and a young midfield lead by Worpel.

Didn’t expect a win, so....

Meh.
Pretty much sums it up. Missing Some big hard bodies to help the kids. Once again everyone flew the flag. Thats all you can ask for as a supporter.

In a way, I see Mirra as I did Cheney, good solid back up depth player for us.
That's all he ever was meant to be. Plenty of people saying he's a good depth player and then complaining when we have injuries and he's in the team.

Hawkins 2k fine. FMD.

So it goes Sicily “hit” against Dogs was worthy of a free in front of goals....................to an elbow with 10 times the force but no free, but a $2k fine. Seems fair.

This could have been cleared up had the AFL simply come out and said the Sicily/Bulldogs free was wrong. But no they backed their man in and now it’s a farce.

Last edited:
That's all he ever was meant to be. Plenty of people saying he's a good depth player and then complaining when we have injuries and he's in the team.

I know, although to be fair, I liked Miles from last year, think that Miles has great potentials to do something, obviously I don’t know why Miles isn’t given a go instead of Mirra, but Mirra, is filling his role, with that comes some mistakes. Good luck to him I think.

Hawkins 2k fine. FMD.

So it goes Sicily “hit” against Dogs was worthy of a free in front of goals....................to an elbow with 10 times the force but no free, but a $2k fine. Seems fair.

This could have been cleared up had the AFL simply come out and said the Sicily/Bulldogs free was wrong. But no they backed their man in and now it’s a farce.

He was never going to cop anything other than a fine. As Derm said a suspension had to happen in round 1 and continued from there

From here the next one has to be 5k and then 10k - see if anyone wants to go for a nice 20. I reckon that will be a no

Remove this Banner Ad

Back