Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Reid came into his own when he was the guy at the end of 2015 with Franklin out and Tippett rucking. From that point he has barely played football so not surprising is struggling again now. 2017 was a career-year for him as well, and then he got injured again. I think we should trade him eventually, but there's no one in the NEAFL worth playing over him.

Re watched the game. Yeh dropped some marks, also took some. At one point in the third, Reid was playing fullback on Lynch, 2 minutes later ruck on our defensive 50. 1 minute later a contest on the wing. 2 minutes later playing full forward. The guys been asked to play everywhere where he's needed. Yep, should be taking more marks but * me this place does my head in. Name a player in our group with the tank and height to do that job atm. And to call a guy who helped us win a flag a flog is just pathetic.

What league do you think Reid is in?
He is C grade imo.
So I guess you must think Blakey and McCartin are d grade.
No, I don't think either are D grade. They are both talented young forwards in development. You arrived at that ridiculous assumption by following the logic of your own insipid opinion of Reid as C Grade.

Re watched the game. Yeh dropped some marks, also took some. At one point in the third, Reid was playing fullback on Lynch, 2 minutes later ruck on our defensive 50. 1 minute later a contest on the wing. 2 minutes later playing full forward. The guys been asked to play everywhere where he's needed. Yep, should be taking more marks but **** me this place does my head in. Name a player in our group with the tank and height to do that job atm. And to call a guy who helped us win a flag a flog is just pathetic.
Completely agree. He did a lot more than Lynch on the weekend and when he's on can crash a pack with the best of them. Injuries are Reid's weakness, not his ability or endeavour.

In my top 3 most disappointing players over the last decade for us.

I thought he would be ripping games apart. I really can only remember a game against Freo where he played wing and sort of in the guts for a bit that he actually did this.

He isn't terrible, although his kicking for goal can be woeful when even under the tiniest bit of pressure meaning the game is not toasted as yet, but he could be so much more.

Shrugging my shoulders with him. Trade him or whatever. Just so meh about his ability and contributions over his whole body of work.

Seriously - what i the point? If it came down to him or (say_ McCartin I would be punching the games into Tom all day.

I think he will play this week because he is OUR required key position forward. We also need to deliver the ball into our forward line a little better & that will assist any of our forwards.

Re watched the game. Yeh dropped some marks, also took some. At one point in the third, Reid was playing fullback on Lynch, 2 minutes later ruck on our defensive 50. 1 minute later a contest on the wing. 2 minutes later playing full forward. The guys been asked to play everywhere where he's needed. Yep, should be taking more marks but **** me this place does my head in. Name a player in our group with the tank and height to do that job atm. And to call a guy who helped us win a flag a flog is just pathetic.

Fair point re the last , i apologise if i called him anything rude, i dont think i did, but no need for it

Well said. Be critical by all means but the extra dressing is not necessary.

Though it could be argued that Reid was being shifted from back line to forwards and the ball followed him ;)

Fair point re the last , i apologise if i called him anything rude, i dont think i did, but no need for it
It wasn't you, someone else called him a joke. You rarely call people names except for bleeding hearts, and I'm always quick to let you know that I don't like it! :p:eek:

It wasn't you, someone else called him a joke. You rarely call people names except for bleeding hearts, and I'm always quick to let you know that I don't like it! :p:eek:

Yeah I was going to say I only call all my swans board friends names ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isnt Reid's fault the club have talked him in the media and marketed him as a 'star'.

It has created expectations amongst fans that he wont be able to live up to.

But despite his abundant athletic gifts he is just bog average as a player.

Plenty of fans hold him up as premiership star

Reid isnt generally a poor mark, confidence issue right now imo

That one the other night where he went to take a chest mark falling down and it literally popped out at the last possible second tells the story right now.

Plenty of fans hold him up as premiership star
"Premiership star Toby Thurstans"
"Premiership star Brent Renouf"
"Premiership star Aaron Keating"

Hmm, seems throwing the words premiership player in front of people is not their defining characteristic

There is a lot of pyschological literature around that suggests the pain we experience at your sports teams loss significantly exceeds the high you experience at the occasional wins. So why do we follow a team then? The theory goes that it enables us to connect to a community (ie swans supporters) and allows
us an intrinsic sense of being loyal to something other than self. Have to be honest here. I think the theory is rubbish. Instead I think that our innate capacity to obsessiveness kicks in and reason is abandoned in favour of 'chasing' the high from wins at whatever cost. Because reason is abandoned in obsessiveness we revert to pyschological defences to mitigate the pain at a loss (or series of losses)- things like denial ( it's the umpires etc) or blame (Hanners is hopeless) or in this case Reid is hopeless or perhaps (horse is a pathetic coach). Scale back those defence mechanisms and you'll find Reid isn't hopeless at all- he is probably top ten on our list but uniformly there are it seems a majority of the community (that are supposed to enhance my experience of loyalty to a team) that are intent on ridiculing and rubbishing him. Why did I say I do this? That's right .....the sense of community from common loyalty lol

Blame is never a productive measure. Nothing positive flows

Nice considered post. Generally after a defeat or string of them we try to find reasons. This requires a little distance.

For two decades we have won more than we lost. I guess most Bloods fans are optimistic about our list, the Club in general and go off to the footy expecting we will get over the line.

However growing up in a different era when a win was unexpected and our list was pillaged of our few Champs by other Clubs (CarlCrims, Filth) means I respond a little differently.

I am usually pessimistic. I expect the Royals to be feted, the rich to rule over the poor, the Yanks to send in their tanks at the drop of a hat and my team to cop it. The past two decades of Bloods success has been a period of delighted surprise.

It feels to me that normal service has resumed. Horse has transmogrified to a stubborn Ian Stewart or worse a Tuddy. Our list like Sam Reid may have been a little overrated.

Still there are prospects Sam will improve. Maybe he needs contact lenses or maybe he like Dawson should not be played in every position on the park.

Like MarkP I had great expectations of Sam. Mine have been adjusted now. I see him as an average second kpf.

I hope he finds some form and plays to his ability.

There is a lot of pyschological literature around that suggests the pain we experience at your sports teams loss significantly exceeds the high you experience at the occasional wins. So why do we follow a team then? The theory goes that it enables us to connect to a community (ie swans supporters) and allows
us an intrinsic sense of being loyal to something other than self. Have to be honest here. I think the theory is rubbish. Instead I think that our innate capacity to obsessiveness kicks in and reason is abandoned in favour of 'chasing' the high from wins at whatever cost. Because reason is abandoned in obsessiveness we revert to pyschological defences to mitigate the pain at a loss (or series of losses)- things like denial ( it's the umpires etc) or blame (Hanners is hopeless) or in this case Reid is hopeless or perhaps (horse is a pathetic coach). Scale back those defence mechanisms and you'll find Reid isn't hopeless at all- he is probably top ten on our list but uniformly there are it seems a majority of the community (that are supposed to enhance my experience of loyalty to a team) that are intent on ridiculing and rubbishing him. Why did I say I do this? That's right .....the sense of community from common loyalty lol

Blame is never a productive measure. Nothing positive flows

Small point relative to your overall post, but I disagree that Reid is top 10 on our list. He's never finished top 10 in a Skilton count and while that isn't a perfect measure because he hasn't played multiple full seasons and gets injured a lot, he has played in 20 or more games in 5 seasons and none of those resulted in a top 10 finish. So there's a pretty solid argument to say he's never finished in our 10 most impactful players over the course of one season, so how could he be top 10 more broadly?

But more to the larger point, it's a very interesting argument you raise. I think there's something to it for many supporters, not all obviously, but many. Particularly because supporting a sports team is a scenario with a lot of emotion involved and very, very little control. You don't get to pick the players, you don't get to pick the style of play, you don't get to draft in players you rate or trade out players you can't stand. So in place of control we often exert on our lives, it can help to speculate or mount cases or reasons for why a team or a player is a certain way without knowing it intimately. I do it all the time, I like to think I do it acknowledging it's my opinion and I'm making educated guesses or speculations, but when you don't get to control what's going on and it means a lot to you, it can be incredibly frustrating to support a team which is going poorly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back