Analysis What The Heck Happened vs Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure he's referring to Murphy's tendency to initiate a Selwood type free. Got a couple on the weekend where he was tackled around the upper arm and lifted the arm to push the tackler high.

Personally I'm happy we've got a player on our team willing to play smarter. The umpires will keep paying them so might as well do it. Wrighty used to do it, Knight has jagged a few over the years too. I hate seeing it in the game, but while Selwood's around the umpires can't help themselves but pay it so might as well get on the gravy train.

Murphy might challenge Knight as our resident flopper/ducker.

He also got caught holding the ball several times when he had other options. I think he was trying too hard to make something happen off his own back.

But there were 10 free kicks paid to each team. Tex got pinged htb twice!!!! They did not pay the same free kicks about 20 times during the game! They paid them against Tex because he is Tex.

If it was just once I wouldn't care, but there was another one which looked to be even more blatant during the game and he did it against St Kilda as well.

Some people are okay with players playing for free kicks. Personally I can't stand it and considering that I have been banging on for years about Selwood and Robbie Gray blatantly playing for free kicks I can't really turn a blind eye when one of our players starts doing it.
Whilst it may seem like we have differing views about the Murphy free I agree with you about players playing for free kicks. Both Selwoods, Grey, Wells used to piss me off. Having said that I dont consider a player who throws his arms up to demonstrate that he is being held onto in the same light as I do the ducking frees.

I have always thought CEY, Greenwood and M Crouch together cant work.

Last three weeks it has. And a big reason for our turn around with such a physically strong midfield. As statistically pleasing as the Crouch boys were it was the grunt of CEY and Greenwood that went a long way to winning yesterday.

However we are yet to see it against a quick moving side.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The test will be against Geelong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I keep banging on about this, but the single biggest improvement the AFL could've made to the game was simply enforcing the existing rules properly and consistently.

We don't need 6/6/6 or any of that crap - pay holding the ball properly (including dropping/shoving/pushing it forward), and the game will open up anyway.

They completely wrecked the HTB rules a few years ago, and instead of changing it back to what it was, they bring in all of these stupid other rules to try and correct over the top of it.

Personally I would do away with the 6 6 6 rule and the kick in rule. I would as you say put in more focus on ensuring umpirers adjudicate the correct interpretations of the rules. For me if you want to open up the game eliminate the interchanges. Players will get tied as the game progresses but even during the game players will be looking to catch their breathe up forward or in defense and wont mill around the ball as much. Congestion reduced.

I know I keep banging on about this, but the single biggest improvement the AFL could've made to the game was simply enforcing the existing rules properly and consistently.

We don't need 6/6/6 or any of that crap - pay holding the ball properly (including dropping/shoving/pushing it forward), and the game will open up anyway.

They completely wrecked the HTB rules a few years ago, and instead of changing it back to what it was, they bring in all of these stupid other rules to try and correct over the top of it.
Bringing in dumb rules to fix something that isn't a problem is the AFL's bread and butter.

AFL: What do people want fixed?
Fans: Clearer interpretation of the rules, and consistency.
AFL: Great. We brought in zones, got rid of runners and changed more rules.
Fans: ...?

The test will be against Geelong

And Collingwood, Brisbabe and GWS.

Four sides with quick ball movement and in decent form

I wouldn't discount Port this week. Tend to think they could hurt us on the counter and out of centre breaks as well.

Bringing in dumb rules to fix something that isn't a problem is the AFL's bread and butter.

AFL: What do people want fixed?
Fans: Clearer interpretation of the rules, and consistency.
AFL: Great. We brought in zones, got rid of runners and changed more rules.
Fans: ...?

Yep - they're clowns.

Isn't there a law of unintended consequences?

Why do they constantly ignore it?

Perhaps look a bit deeper...

Fyfe - 1.00 kick-to-handball ratio, 54.29% contested possession rate, 78.13% disposal efficiency, 10.72 metres gained per disposal

Matt Crouch - 0.86 kick-to-handball ratio, 33.33% contested possession rate, 58.97% disposal efficiency, 8.77 metres gained per disposal
https://www.aflcoaches.com.au/awards/the-aflca-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard

Adelaide Crows vs Fremantle

Sun, May 5
Votes

Player (Club)

Brodie Smith (ADEL)

Reilly O'Brien (ADEL)

Matt Crouch (ADEL)

Nat Fyfe (FRE)

Alex Pearce (FRE)

Rory Sloane (ADEL)

Luke Ryan (FRE)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Offers loads of pressure imo. Always hurrying the opposition even if it doesn't register. I would say that's the only thing keeping him in cos he's been average otherwise.
Nah he’s kicked 7 goals the last 3 games. That keeps him in which I’ve got no issue with.

If his goals dry up then he doesn’t survive on the kind of output we saw last night

I'm taking their opinion over yours every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Good on you.

And who will be the first to be questioned, queried and doubted when things go badly - the coach! We seemingly pick and choose when we trust them and afford them absolute authority.

Good on you.

And who will be the first to be questioned, queried and doubted when things go badly - the coach! We seemingly pick and choose when we trust them and afford them absolute authority.
I'll give you a tip it won't be because of Matt Crouch or Nat Fyfe's efforts

And Collingwood, Brisbabe and GWS.

Four sides with quick ball movement and in decent form

I wouldn't discount Port this week. Tend to think they could hurt us on the counter and out of centre breaks as well.

Yep all formidable midfields at present. I don’t know why but I have a feeling we are going to beat Port by a healthy margin.

Having said that about Freo what about the pressure we applied for the entire game. Just what we wanted to see.

Yes, this. Very good point. We're so focused on how negative / defensive Freo are - or are supposed to be, but they showed some movement on Sunday that was very fluent / attacking, and it was because of our pressure (and our solid back 6) that they didn't get more of that.

The pressure on Sunday went both ways.

Feel like we’ve broken things down a bit after the first 4 games and have gone back the basic tactic of building from defence.

Ugly

The game itself of course, but I have a feeling we may need to become more appreciative of this style. Think the free wheeling days of 2016/17 are behind us
I'm actually seeing a bit of the opposite. We are showing signs of more the hardcore running similar to 2017 than the spluttering run in 2018. These stretch of wins are a sign we're gel-ing more as a unit, and had we kicked straighter, it could have easily been a solid 5-6 goal win.

We are on the improve and the good news is that there is much more scope to improve further - Seeds, Milera, Brown to return. Can see us being more stable in structures and more quicker transitions with those 3 coming back.

I thought this was very good :thumbsu::

Until this:

From the AFC site:
" BEST/ Adelaide: M Crouch, B Crouch, Sloane, Lynch, Ellis-Yolmen, Laird ".
I didn't watch the game and cannot offer an opinion on how CEY played, except to say he is an AFL player, played for us yesterday and was praised by several posters in here for his aggression and grunt.
It's always interesting, and a bit funny, how people can disagree so strongly in here about some of the player's performances especially from this game Walker/ Murphy/ Knight/ Lynch/ CEY and the usual suspects (erratic Mackay, contact-avoiding Atkins).

If you didn’t watch the game...

CEY was good, but chiming in on a game you didn’t see is a bit off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back