List Mgmt. Mid-Season Draft - Who do we take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as rare as losing a player to a midseason AFL draft will be

Centrals poached a ruckman from the country during their premiership dynasty from memory
Like I said every player on the nominated list was available to all AFL clubs less than 6 months ago and they considered none of them worthy of a list spot. And all under normal circumstances would be available to them in 6 months time again.

Like I said every player on the nominated list was available to all AFL clubs less than 6 months ago and they considered none of them worthy of a list spot. And all under normal circumstances would be available to them in 6 months time again.
Every player 19 years old and older taken in the national draft was available to all clubs 12 months before and they considered none of them worthy of a list spot

It's meaningless

Bicks I watched him play some Hills football last year. He won a Grand Final in the Uraidla under 18s side. He was in the best couple of players on the ground in the grand final rucking. He's a huge athletic lads who can run all day, got springs and is courageous in the air. Lacks polish as he is newish to football formally being a decathlete but still improving. He will improve more than most kids over the next few years just from being in a strong system and learning more about the game but currently not ready.

Young lad is a good friend of a close relative of mine.

Top character, really level headed and quite a strong leader in looking out for his mates. The kind of kid to take action when others are just sitting back gobsmacked.

As previously stated a brilliant athlete, went to school with State ruckman Braidwood I believe, and from what I hear showed him up in a few ways which you wouldn't expect others to show up someone with more exposure to the game. More driven mentally than Braidwood though.

His mates have big wraps on his football, but I've not seen him play more than a kick and a catch so can't say much about that side of things really.

Have a look at Essendon & their ruck situation.

They had Leuenberger retire pretty late in the piece prior to 2018 draft (they picked up Zac Clarke as a SSP at least), but now have had Lavender retire, SMACK out with a hammy for 5-6 weeks, Daniher unfit during the summer, Clarke done a calf recently, Draper do an ACL & Bellchambers under duress with an ankle. Their big men can't stay out there.... there is no way they could've planned for that. Seemed to have the depth, then cursed. (that's 5/5 of their 200+ cm blokes involved)

Them picking up a ruck is exactly why the AFL wanted a mid-season draft. IMO

Have a look at Essendon & their ruck situation.

They had Leuenberger retire pretty late in the piece prior to 2018 draft (they picked up Zac Clarke as a SSP at least), but now have had Lavender retire, SMACK out with a hammy for 5-6 weeks, Daniher unfit during the summer, Clarke done a calf recently, Draper do an ACL & Bellchambers under duress with an ankle. Their big men can't stay out there.... there is no way they could've planned for that. Seemed to have the depth, then cursed. (that's 5/5 of their 200+ cm blokes involved)

Them picking up a ruck is exactly why the AFL wanted a mid-season draft. IMO
Yeah and have a look at the State League club they pilfer their No.1 Ruckman from...

How many of the top up players due to their issues did Essendon retain?

Ruckman has to be the priority - should've addressed it in the off-season already.

Give ROB a ~4 week bloke to see if he's up to it, if not, Ruckman.

Still not sure why we got rid of him, he's decent depth, at worst.
Couldn't agree more. Always seemed to play well when he got a chance. Good kick, tough player, versatile. I was dumbfounded when they cut him.

Looking like Murray Bushrangers 19 Y.O. Key Back/Ruck Ben Kelly is near the top of a lot of clubs shopping list following a stellar start to the 2019 U18 NAB League season playing mainly in defence with chop outs in Ruck. Showed a bit last year but looks to have finally got over his knee issues this season and is putting together a good 2019 season. Played in the Young Guns game Saturday morning at Trevor Barker Oval which is a game basically for youngsters that have missed out on getting drafted over the last couple of years that recruiters want to have another look at.

200cm 96kg athletic and a sub 3.00 sec 20m sprint time under his belt, obviously not a plug and play player but likely to see an AFL club swoop now rather than wait for the National/Rookie Draft.

Interesting too he was one of the players that AFL recruiters requested be brought back as a 19 Y.O. for another look after the lock down job he did on 1st round draft pick Ben King 202cm in last year's finals who had dominated until then.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/ben-kelly/

Made the Bushies bests in 3 of the 4 games he's played this season.

http://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=125251262&c=1-3020-0-518307-0&pool=1
http://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=125251179&c=1-3020-0-518307-0&pool=1
http://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=125251307&c=1-3020-0-518307-0&pool=1

1557288808587.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As in, who could we pick right now, that could turn out to be a steal when we look back in hindsight in 2020?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for Hamish, but is the right question to be asking mid season - between the draft and now, has anyone come on in his opinion to the point where he'd want to draft them this year (another Rory Sloane?)

Maybe theres a guy like that we can get cheaper/earlier. Maybe not - but is a new mechanism to get some advantage, and we have the right guy in place to decide if its worth using this year.

Question for Hamish, but is the right question to be asking mid season - between the draft and now, has anyone come on in his opinion to the point where he'd want to draft them this year (another Rory Sloane?)

Maybe theres a guy like that we can get cheaper/earlier. Maybe not - but is a new mechanism to get some advantage, and we have the right guy in place to decide if its worth using this year.
Yup my thoughts as well. There has gotta be a handful of boys that some recruiters regretted letting slip at last years draft OR an overlooked draftee that’s had a stellar first half of year.
Sloane is a good example.

Not so much a fan of the mid season draft, but this is absolutely how we should be using it. Find that next Tim Kelly, Isaac Smith, Harry Taylor, Shane McAdam, Liam Ryan, Luke Brown or even Rory Sloane. That more mature aged type (ie past first draft) that looks like going high in the draft, that we might be able to get for cheap now. Doesn’t matter if they can play this year, just what their potential is longer term.

I wouldn't pick anyone to force us to use the perfectly capable players we already have on the list in basically every position
I like the idea of picking someone just to get an early look at them.

To add to our AFL team and expect them to be plug n play. Nope.

Can't see any of these draftees making any real AFL impact. Especially in a team playing Finals.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Don't like my suggestion of Mitch Podhajski?
3rd Tall defender/forward/midfielder 190cm 87kg.
I saw him play all 3 roles named above with distinction for the Calder Cannons in the TAC Comp and he backed that up with some very good performances whenever he got the call up to Coburg in the VFL. I particularly liked him at the Cannons as the 3rd tall intercepting defender where he played a very similar role to Doedee for us. Already very mature body wise and a great leader when captaining the Cannons. Could also transition into that big bodied mid a lot of the posters on here covet.

Suiting up for Coburg in the VFL this season.

https://coburgfc.com.au/podhajski-commits-to-coburg-while-looking-to-develop-as-a-midfielder/
Sounds like a good prospect to get an early look at to draft next year.

Also good for our SANFL team this year.

I also wonder with the emergence of Keath, could midfield be the next step.for Doedee?

My vision is similar bring someone in from interstate and treat as an 18 month project.
Draft them for the mid season in 2019 and have them sign on for SANFL in 2020.
They earn $50K + $20K for not re-listed and $10K + match payments in SANFL 2020. Earn $80k in 18 months. We hold a Rookie spot open for start of 2020 season. Does AFL preseason. If they are good enough.
As part of it we could invest in there fitness in 2019 and learn the playbook.
Be able to have a proper crack in 2020 preseason

My vision is similar bring someone in from interstate and treat as an 18 month project.
Draft them for the mid season in 2019 and have them sign on for SANFL in 2020.
They earn $50K + $20K for not re-listed and $10K + match payments in SANFL 2020. Earn $80k in 18 months. We hold a Rookie spot open for start of 2020 season. Does AFL preseason. If they are good enough.
As part of it we could invest in there fitness in 2019 and learn the playbook.
Be able to have a proper crack in 2020 preseason
Not how it will work IMO, if the player shows enough we should sign them up for 2020 or risk the chance of other clubs drafting them in either the 2019 National or Rookie draft.

Sounds like a good prospect to get an early look at to draft next year.

Also good for our SANFL team this year.

I also wonder with the emergence of Keath, could midfield be the next step.for Doedee?

Coming back next season off the knee, don't know how that would hold up in the midfield. But the marking power in defence with him and Keith back there would be nice.

2019: Talia, Keith, Brown, Laird, Butts, Scholl. Milera and Smith to rotate out to a wing?

Anyone think the Crows will just essentially upgrade Jordan Boyle from the top-up list to the rookie list?
Has pretty much played SANFL most weeks this year and played the 2nd half of last year, so has been in the system a while.
Decent production as well in the midfield depending on his role, had a 30 possession game last year and has had some mid-20 possession games.
Don't know whether he could ever step up to AFL though as a Lachlan Murphy type trier?

Anyone think the Crows will just essentially upgrade Jordan Boyle from the top-up list to the rookie list?
Has pretty much played SANFL most weeks this year and played the 2nd half of last year, so has been in the system a while.
Decent production as well in the midfield depending on his role, had a 30 possession game last year and has had some mid-20 possession games.
Don't know whether he could ever step up to AFL though as a Lachlan Murphy type trier?
Not the type of player we'd be looking at for an AFL career IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back