Society/Culture Why is Melbin [sic] so out of step with the rest of Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony is I probably have contributed more to the queensland economy in both taxes, services and demand in the 5 years Ive been here then what most queenslanders contribute in 30 years. That makes me more queenslander then all the poor uneducated rural losers that us city dwellers all look down on with pity and slight distaste.

You need to fix up your than and then before calling people uneducated. Just for your info. :thumbsu:

Only reason anyone from Queensland would ever visit Melbourne is to catch a footy game then get the **** out of that dump
Nah you stupid queenslanders invade the cox plate aswell, full of bundy and singing Darryl Braithwaite.

Lmao and how can you again assume that we haven't stayed in one of the inner suburbs? **** me, no need to try and sway people's opinion on a city. Some of us just don't find buildings, pollution, and high population density fascinating and enticing. No matter how much **** your city has going on, for me it's only worth a 1 week tops visit. And that goes for Brisbane so....
Try again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's with the vermin problems in Melbourne? When I've been there walking around at night in the CBD you would look down any random lane way and there would be like 50 rats just sitting there looking back at you. Never seen this in any of the other Australian cities.

What's with the vermin problems in Melbourne? When I've been there walking around at night in the CBD you would look down any random lane way and there would be like 50 rats just sitting there looking back at you. Never seen this in any of the other Australian cities.

I've seen them in Sydney around Darlinghurst, but yeah, often see them on the tracks at Flinders St Station.

Google says there was a rat infestation in 2017 due to construction work.

It’s basically a third world city in a first world country

There really isn’t much to see in Melbourne. The MCG is pretty much it, and most people from outside the UK or India don’t care about it.

If you look up “top attractions in Melbourne” the top answers you get are coffee and street art. It’s a big ugly concrete jungle without much to see, and it doesn’t even have good beaches to redeem it like every other major Aussie city. The inner city is flooded with homeless people too. I wouldn’t recommend to travellers.

Agree with this is had not got much iconic stuff for visitors. The main driver for tourism obviously being events.
If somebody was coming from overseas to Australia for a few weeks I wouldn't necessarily suggest they come to Melbourne. But if they were coming here to live for six months or a couple of years, I would rate Melbourne as the best city to live in. I think it is that kind of place.

Sydney > Melbourne in my experience, though I've not lived in either for any significant amount of time so I'm probably not the best person to judge (or maybe I am - I'm not biased at least).

That said, my family and I have plans to move from bum * Victoria to somewhere along the South East coast of Queensland within the next 5 years or so, but maybe we shouldn't - doesn't seem like we'd be made very welcome!

As opposed to Brisbane, which goes underwater when it rains a bit.

Brisbane is a decent little regional city, but you wouldn't want to live there if you're young. Second rate universities, second rate career opportunities, second rate city.

Incorrect on all counts. UQ is every bit as prestigious as majority of Melbourne unis. Career opportunities are plentiful and population in south east Queensland isn’t far short of melbin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back