Inequality is out of control in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

So text of a letter I am sending my (labor) MP - removed references to specific seat

I am a constituent in the seat of xxx and I am concerned that the upcoming federal budget is not going to adequately respond to the challenges of increasing inequity in Australia. I am currently working in a frontline position in the Victorian public hospital system, and I am seeing increasing patients who cannot afford to see a GP, or to pay for medication, or to find housing, so they turn up at the ED to find solutions which do not exist – certainly not in the ED I work in anyway.

Then I hear that the Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee recommends that Jobseeker be raised to 90% of the aged pension. This is a broad based committee representing multiple economic interests. If they can all agree surely this is something worth doing.

Yes I appreciate that there is no money in the budget – and yes a lot was caused by waste and mismanagement by your predecessors – but there is an easy target to retain money in the budget.

That target is the stage 3 tax cuts. These are an absolute perversion, where the highest income earners (myself included) get a massive reward – money which to be frank will not be missed if it is denied because we never really had it in our pockets. Contrast this to the pain and blame being felt by the removal of the low and middle income tax offset – these people are feeling it (the removal of the offset) as a new tax.

I would prefer to set fire to the stage 3 tax cuts altogether, and if media companies are insensitive (was going to call it brazenly partisan) enough to scream broken promise, the facts are

• The economic landscape has changed
  • We need the money to address inequality
  • Or my old standard – tell them to take a long walk off a short pier and see how the real world works

But if one MUST have a stage 3 tax cut, let us redo it as follows

• Reduce the tax bracket for 45000 – 120000 to 30 c in the dollar from 32.5 c.
  • And leave the rest (the 37c bracket from 120-180000) alone.

This would deliver the same benefit for those earning up to 120000 as the existing stage 3 (ie the bulk of the population who would benefit) but capping the cut to (2.5% of 75000) = $1875 per annum instead of just under $8000 at 180000 under the current legislated cuts.

It is both sensible policy and sensible politics. When the liberals scream class war they can be dismissed, ignored, invalidated or even simply told “yeah theres been a class war and your mob have been engaging in it for years, so take a hike, call the RACV (tell someone who cares”

I hope this proposal gets due consideration. The risk if something is not done on stage 3 is the perception that the ALP are unwilling to take necessary steps for those on lower incomes in our society

Feel free to copy and use.

We need a group to form that champions this incessantly. Normally that would be a party of the worker, but it seems we don't have one of those any more.

We really are reaching a tipping point I feel.

This ABC article / infographic demonstrates the absolute absurdity of stage 3 tax cuts, in a very in-your face way. Share it among your friends and let's get this s**t going viral.

We need a group to form that champions this incessantly. Normally that would be a party of the worker, but it seems we don't have one of those any more.

We really are reaching a tipping point I feel.

This ABC article / infographic demonstrates the absolute absurdity of stage 3 tax cuts, in a very in-your face way. Share it among your friends and let's get this s**t going viral.
I’m happy for it to start from bigfooty SRP to be honest. Spam talkback, legacy media etc

Also threaten to vote informal at the next election. They wouldn't believe a threat to vote LNP but a rise in the informal vote could hurt. If only it wasn't illegal to publicly encourage the practise.

Unless they think you are really a LNP stooge, getting in early to sabotage re election.

Not sure where to talk about it.

But RBA went another 0.25% , I can't see that improving anyone's life.

Edit - outside people/companies with money on deposit, who will be happy
They got spooked by house price data going up too soon.

Ah I think interest rates increases can only achieve so much wrt inflation. They have no impact on supply shocks.

Time to look at either increasing productivity (how?) or the obvious re assessment of stage 3 tax cut madness

Ah I think interest rates increases can only achieve so much wrt inflation. They have no impact on supply shocks.

Time to look at either increasing productivity (how?) or the obvious re assessment of stage 3 tax cut madness
You need to give Labor credit, so desperate to avoid breaking promises even everyone telling them it's fine to stop they are going to do it any way.

But the rate rises are interesting, I thought they'd stopped, I can't see what 1 more month of data will do to stop them rising them again next month.

Supply shocks?

It's corporate war profiteering which started under COVID and they never bothered to drop prices.

The obvious step would be to lift the corporate tax rate back up 5%, to 30% for SMEs and 35% for multinationals.

Tax where the causes of inflation are.

Also lift royalties and the PRRT to properly collect our share of exported inflated gas prices.

Supply shocks?

It's corporate war profiteering which started under COVID and they never bothered to drop prices.

The obvious step would be to lift the corporate tax rate back up 5%, to 30% for SMEs and 35% for multinationals.

Also lift royalties and the PRRT to properly collect our share of exported inflated gas prices.

No instead they'll stop the Lamington and make those already struggling be worse off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supply shocks?

They just put prices up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back