Society/Culture Why is Melbin [sic] so out of step with the rest of Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney > Melbourne in my experience, though I've not lived in either for any significant amount of time so I'm probably not the best person to judge (or maybe I am - I'm not biased at least).

That said, my family and I have plans to move from bum **** Victoria to somewhere along the South East coast of Queensland within the next 5 years or so, but maybe we shouldn't - doesn't seem like we'd be made very welcome!

Join us from the dark side friend. Life will improve 10 fold

Does it have to be either or? Kind of a simplistic reasoning for a make belief hate lmao

Arts degrees don't make you sound intelligent lmao. This coming from an "unqualified" country person who holds a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.

You sound like you've never had to rely on a farmer your entire life. What do you eat? Air?
And here is why farmers think they are special. Farmers really believe everyone relies on them. However, this isnt the 19th century where food shortages are still a thing. We rely on farmers no more then we rely on the Chinese child labourers to provide us with clothes or toilet cleaner at work to keep the bathroom sanitary.

Only reason anyone from Queensland would ever visit Melbourne is to catch a footy game then get the **** out of that dump
Comedy festival, shopping, australian open, decent restaurants and bars, to get away from the humidity and constant rain in summer, spring racing carnival, theatres. Sh** we have been through all this.

Comedy festival, shopping, australian open, decent restaurants and bars, to get away from the humidity and constant rain in summer, spring racing carnival, theatres. Sh** we have been through all this.

Comedy festival is lefty trash. Been 4 times and barely got a chuckle out of the last few. Lol at shopping. Please go to your wife and beg for your testicles back. We have tennis. Already proven the restaurants and bars are at least as good if not better.

Climate is 100x better than Melbin. Not sure anyone is jealous of your 10 degrees and 100% chance of rain 6 month forecast

And here is why farmers think they are special. Farmers really believe everyone relies on them. However, this isnt the 19th century where food shortages are still a thing. We rely on farmers no more then we rely on the Chinese child labourers to provide us with clothes or toilet cleaner at work to keep the bathroom sanitary.

I don’t believe you’ve ever set foot on a farm so not sure how you know what they actually believe?

lol.. you forgot to add in that shitty car race and the coffee.

Comedy festival is lefty trash. Been 4 times and barely got a chuckle out of the last few. Lol at shopping. Please go to your wife and beg for your testicles back. We have tennis. Already proven the restaurants and bars are at least as good if not better.

Climate is 100x better than Melbin. Not sure anyone is jealous of your 10 degrees and 100% chance of rain 6 month forecast

You think only lefties have a sense of humour? That is so sad. Im not a lefty and I find heaps of great acts (usually the international and obscure ones though).

I despise shopping but you do get women like to travel too right?as some metrosexual lefty will probably pipe up the men like to shop too.

You dont have world class tennis. Why would anyone watch a tennis match if it was not world class level? I take my kids out to the playground right in front of Queensland tennis centre every once in a while. Its not much bigger then a local basketball centre.

Again Melbourne weather from December to end if April is a sh**load better then Queenslands which is humid, raining all the time and the sun sets before 7pm rather then 9-10pm as in Melbourne. Plenty of people travel to Melbourne in summer from queensland because melbourne actually feels like summer unlike dark wet queensland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol.. you forgot to add in that shitty car race and the coffee.
Who the f*** would travel for a coffee?

I didnt even know the car race was still on. Melbourne has so many events that would be the biggest event in the likes of queensland or Western Australia like the Grand Prix barely get a mention in Victoria.

Last edited:
Comedy festival is lefty trash. Been 4 times and barely got a chuckle out of the last few.
That's a surprise, you seem so jovial and easy-going

Incorrect on all counts. UQ is every bit as prestigious as majority of Melbourne unis.

Meaningless statement. Queensland's best uni will of course compare favourably to Melbourne's worst 50% of unis.

UQ, Queensland's only Group of 8 uni, still ranks below Melbourne Uni. But yes ut is excellent and is better than half of Victoria's without a doubt. And of course Melbourne has 2 in the Group of 8.

And USQ and Sunshine coast uni? Yeah pass.

JCU and QUT pretty good though, on par with Deakin and RMIT.

Queensland are all one eyed farmers or people who work for and rely on farmers. Their interests are farmers and mining. We see the same pattern in the poorer parts of America where people literally need these jobs to survive because they didn't go to school like in the major cities.

Melbourne is full of well educated white collar individuals. Engineers/Doctors/Lawyers etc. Their interests are the environment/future/social services/human rights.

Country people and Queenslanders generally have no qualifications. Farming and mining are both being threatened and these people have no degrees or skilled work experience to fall back on. These regions are disadvantaged to the level these people can't get jobs and that brings out the worst in people (a type survival based lifestyle not seen since the middle ages). I feel for them but at the same time they could go to uni and study a degree anytime

I find it difficult to see how in a State of 5 million people, Queensland, with massive infrastructure and mining as well as many rednecks there isn't a large population of White collar workers such as Doctors/Engineers/Lawyers.

Disingenuous? Why? Sydney as a City shits on Melbourne. Sydney is spectacular. Whether you can afford to live there is another matter.

Nah, Sydney sucks. PT is s**t, sporting culture is s**t, the layout of the city is s**t. Sydney is about as interesting as Launceston.

Nah, Sydney sucks. PT is ****, sporting culture is ****, the layout of the city is ****. Sydney is about as interesting as Launceston.

That’s just the chip on your shoulder talking. What would an international visitor find interesting about Melbourne? It has no landmarks, no beautiful scenery, a s**t climate and full of crime and homelessness. Sydney, Queensland (both south east and far north) Adelaide and Darwin all have far better attractions for international visitors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back