Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Cunners as much as anyone. However, I think the coaching guys need to ensure that he doesn’t end up at centre bounces on mobile opposition players. Ben, invariably, takes a snooze for half a quarter every game - he shares that with all the competition superstars. Last week it happened early in the last. He was jolted back to life immediately after his very lazy handball was blocked. However, while he was snoozing, the Bulldogs ran riot at the centre bounces. The time where the Bont literally cruised away from him and set up a goal looked really bad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In Cunners defence the Bont has done that to man a player and will continue to do so.

Any talk of trading Cunnington is ludicrous. why would you trade not only our best player but the player that best symbolises north Melbourne. I couldn't care what draft pick we get, we are not guaranteed to get a player of his calibre. I don't care what the media and so called footy experts say, cunnington is an elite A grader, full stop. people should ignore super coach points and just assess the players on football ability. he is star and I would be filthy if the club would even contemplate trading ben.

and I am not sure what other peoples opinions are on our list but I am not falling for the we need a full rebuild talk. our list is very good and our downfall was our game plan and how it looked like our players were playing robotic football. the talent and flair is there, its just a matter of letting them show it off. we are not as bad as all these experts believe we are.

Any talk of trading Cunnington is ludicrous. why would you trade not only our best player but the player that best symbolises north Melbourne. I couldn't care what draft pick we get, we are not guaranteed to get a player of his calibre. I don't care what the media and so called footy experts say, cunnington is an elite A grader, full stop. people should ignore super coach points and just assess the players on football ability. he is star and I would be filthy if the club would even contemplate trading ben.

and I am not sure what other peoples opinions are on our list but I am not falling for the we need a full rebuild talk. our list is very good and our downfall was our game plan and how it looked like our players were playing robotic football. the talent and flair is there, its just a matter of letting them show it off. we are not as bad as all these experts believe we are.

Agree with you about Cunners. He is at his peak with easily 4 to 5 years of good footy ahead of him and is absolutely a talisman of the club for both his fans and his teammates. We would undoubtedly get some excellent picks if we were to trade him as there would be 17 other clubs that would be extremely keen to have Cunners on their list.

I am not sure I completely agree with you about our list. We have probably the best group of 21 and under players we have had in a long time but our middle age bracket is among the worst in the league. We have several C and D graders getting regular senior football and not much in the way of genuine star power. It is not a terrible list and doesn't need a radical overhaul, but if our starting 22 doesn't have at least 7 or 8 changes by the 2021 season I can't see us really making an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every other player in the midfield rotation that stood next to Martin seemed like they were positioned more with their bodies turned towards him. They seemed more focused on impeding his run at the bounce.

Then there's Cunnington...

Positions himself the exact same way as Martin. Chilled out, wide stance, hands on knees slight forward lean. Almost like he didn't give a s**t that he was there. But then once the ball bounces, they make contact but Cunnners does not move the slightest. What a ******* bull.

Jacobs might be able to wear him like a glove.
But Ben can shut him up.

Double like for that comment.

Every other player in the midfield rotation that stood next to Martin seemed like they were positioned more with their bodies turned towards him. They seemed more focused on impeding his run at the bounce.

Then there's Cunnington...

Positions himself the exact same way as Martin. Chilled out, wide stance, hands on knees slight forward lean. Almost like he didn't give a **** that he was there. But then once the ball bounces, they make contact but Cunnners does not move the slightest. What a ******* bull.

Jacobs might be able to wear him like a glove.
But Ben can shut him up.
Reckon there’s a bit of mutual respect between Cunners and Dusty. Couple of hard arses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back