Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladbrokes paying $201 for him to win the Brownlow... crazy odds for a bloke sitting fifth in the coaches award. I had to put $20 on... should at least get a good cash out by the end of the year when they realise how close he might come.
I would be amazed if he is not considered a walk up start to the AA team as it stands 11 rounds in. He has been phenomenal this year. He has long been my favourite & IMO our best player by some margin for last 5 years. He is now a top 5 mid in the league.

Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
Elite
WARNING: Above average!

Yep, trade him.

Last edited:
Nah St Patty Cripps has him so far covered all areas it's not even close.

View attachment 687065

Yep, 6 clearances.

Be interesting to see their respective centre square times, considering Ben plays up forward for chunks of time.

Yep, 6 clearances.

Be interesting to see their respective centre square times, considering Ben plays up forward for chunks of time.
I'd like to see Cunnington's tackle go up. . . wait that sounds weird. I want to see his tackle count go up. But since he's upped his disposals to ~30 it was always going dip a little

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Cunnington's tackle go up. . . wait that sounds weird. I want to see his tackle count go up. But since he's upped his disposals to ~30 it was always going dip a little
Pretty hard for Cunners to tackle himself.. he’s always got the rock..

Pretty hard for Cunners to tackle himself.. he’s always got the rock..
Cunners tackle numbers are lower because he's first to the ball
Which is what I was getting at saying upped disposal will equal dipped tackles. The midfielders who have more disposals i.e always have the rock also manage to have more tackles. Higgins is also a little light on the tackling.

Cunners is my favourite player so this isn't a harsh critique but I do think he could up that tackle count a little.

FWIW I'd have him in AA squad

1559692351930.png

Cripps is a pretty outstanding player to be fair. There will be much less deserving players in the AA team we can point fingers at if Ben doesn't make the team.

The fact Carlton's midfield is just about breaking even with a midfield of Cripps and a bunch of kids is pretty incredible. Cripps, Fisher, Dow and Cunningham being a better group this season than Cunnington, Jed, Higgins and Ziebell should be pretty telling as to how good of a player Cripps is.

Taking the piss if he’s not AA.
He won't be, and it will be criminal.

I love ROCO but on Footyology earlier this week he said Cunnington does everything very well but isn't elite at anything so he doesn't get the plaudits that other mids get.

PLEASE!!

This bloke has the best handball I've seen in my time. I saw Williams as a kid but I haven't seen a player that can create space for teammates like Cunnington does with a simple flick of the football.

Don't need to tackle when youre number 1 in the league for winning the ball in the first place. He'd have to start tackling himself.

Have never understood why people need to criticise other players in order to praise your own. Cripps is a different type of player to Cunnington (as are Neale, Boak etc) but he is still outstanding. As is Ben.
Because there is a 97% chance someone would need to get dropped for Cunny to get a look in and it's constructive criticism to figure out who and why?

Of course the selectors found separate reasons to keep BB out in the last two years so who tf knows what excuses they'd make anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back