Coach John Longmire - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he certainly has not lost the playing group, that’s for sure.
I just loved the way he stood in the wings while the presentation was on, but then congratulated each and every player as they came to the gate.

He's been telling us the team was building, talking up the youngsters and asking us to be patient... guess he knew what he was talking about after all! :)

To be honest the thought did run through my mind but it just didn't feel like a goodbye

View attachment 689778

For the record in all seriousness I’ve never thought anyone hated horse

Oh well interesting times ahead

Either way he is driving his $ value up this week

Barrett must want him at norf

Well he certainly has not lost the playing group, that’s for sure.

This Is The One quote in Football Clubs that spreads quicker than Stage 4 Terminal Cancer. If the truth be known most of the time it is Bullshit started by weak as piss parasites within the club who bolster their case with this without reason. The emotion for each other shown by players and coach so far this year in trying circumstances tells me be it is exactly that. Weak as piss some people.

he gets a lot of credit for the last month it seems but no credit for the rest of the year

time will tell, if the swans extend him this week etc it would be stupid, wouldn't surprise me

certainly a good spirit after a win, but he never looked disinterested etc anyway
I do admire your ability to make being so wrong look right!;)

This Is The One quote in Football Clubs that spreads quicker than Stage 4 Terminal Cancer. If the truth be known most of the time it is ******** started by weak as piss parasites within the club who bolster their case with this without reason. The emotion for each other shown by players and coach so far this year in trying circumstances tells me be it is exactly that. Weak as piss some people.
Disgruntled employees stirring things up. Gotta love them.

I had been on the anti-horse bandwagon for some time, but the way he has handled the rebuild this season has impressed me immensely.

His connection with the young players is impressive, and his passion is contagious. The way we have played the last 6 weeks or so without players like Kennedy, Jones, Grundy, Smith, McVeigh, and often with one of the youngest teams in the league each round is outstanding. Yesterday’s game the most impressive, pack of kids out there and they produce that stuff.

If they announced his re signing I would not be disappointed at all.

I’m not saying he’s perfect, there are still frustrations and criticisms here and there, but I am happy to admit that ultimately I have been wrong.

He seems to be evolving as the players evolve and it has been great to see.
S14, you can clearly see the big picture of our evolution. I wish we all could but for some posts here indicate otherwise.

It's not about where we're at or even where we've been this year. It's about where we're going. The results of the last few years are a direct reflection of the progress of our rebuild, where even the number of injuries we've had to carry has more or less reflected the reliance on our senior players while the younger group come through.

The trading bans, injury to expensive players (eg, Tippey) and to key players (Hanners) who otherwise could be expected to be contributing at or near their peak has further exacerbated that reliance on ageing players. In short, we have had an experience and age profile with an hourglass shape.

We are fortunate to have a brave club which remains competitive where many others would fall. We are blessed with dedicated players and staff who are passionate and fully committed. In the bigger picture we can see the evolution of our game plan, the clever recruitment and development of the personnel required to deliver that game plan, a parallel or co-development of depth through our NEAFL team and finally a willingness to test new approaches and new positions for players even as we focus on bringing all to fruition from about 2021 onwards.

I can tolerate losses while we are progressing forward. This a a very cohesive club. We're not merely building for a tilt at a premiership we're building for generational dominance. We are aiming to get back to another decade of finals with multiple premiership opportunities carried by this new generation of players.

Many of these young players will one day be Swans greats. Sunday's result gave us a glimpse of that future. It came after a difficult start to the year, a couple of wins against lesser fancied teams, a genuine challenge against the top two teams and finally a break through game where it all came together against the reigning premiers.

I don't think for a minute it'll all be plain sailing but keeping Horse in the team is key. Give him 5 years, long enough to reap the seeds that have been sown.

You are an expert no doubt. I just don’t like that fellas attitude to others on here. I watch a lot and will comment when I want . So who are you to have a crack !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Perhaps you could be a little less confrontational. Attack the content of the post not the poster. No.37 may not deserve your respect simply because he's a long term poster but the number of likes he gets indicates he has it from many here.

he gets a lot of credit for the last month it seems but no credit for the rest of the year

time will tell, if the swans extend him this week etc it would be stupid, wouldn't surprise me

certainly a good spirit after a win, but he never looked disinterested etc anyway

I think we've seen the best and worst of Horse this year. Against the Cats was the worst, too conservative and defensive in a game where we had nothing to lose. Last night was the best, had the players engaged, encouraged the young blokes, gave us license and confidence to play with some audacity. That's why he frustrates the **** out of me even though I like him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we've seen the best and worst of Horse this year. Against the Cats was the worst, too conservative and defensive in a game where we had nothing to lose. Last night was the best, had the players engaged, encouraged the young blokes, gave us license and confidence to play with some audacity. That's why he frustrates the **** out of me even though I like him

first half heat map especially is heavily in the middle compared to every other week

post bye will be interesting

Tigers went on a scoring spree compared to our last final when we mustered a flattering 5 4 34.
It's more relevant to compare just a week apart. We did a lot better against the cats than richmond, even with our rubbish goal kicking. In fact, we did so much better that even on the cats home ground we enjoyed 15% more scoring shots than they did whereas on their own home ground the Tigers barely managed half of Geelong's scoring shots.

I disagree. We were very competitive against the cats but playing Geelong takes a different style to playing West Coast. A team that can't adapt doesn't get far. Only GWS has had more scoring shots against the cats this year than we did last week. They had one more and won the game. We had our oppotunities but our forwards were atrocious.

I disagree. We were very competitive against the cats but playing Geelong takes a different style to playing West Coast. A team that can't adapt doesn't get far. Only GWS has had more scoring shots against the cats this year than we did last week. They had one more and won the game. We had our oppotunities but our forwards were atrocious.

But I guess that's why I was frustrated, because Horse has mastered the Cattery in past years by playing direct, attacking footy that played to our forwards advantage. I thought for whatever reason, we just didn't play that way this time around, which is why our forwards didn't get the kind of isolation they usually do against the Cats, and we put ourselves under pressure with that style of footy. Obviously Geelong are a different proposition this year, but I felt like that kind of made Horse go into his shell and focus too much on shutting them down, as opposed to playing in a way that made our boys more dangerous. But I think he did learn, because the game last night was a massive change to the week before.

I've never doubted though that Horse is aware we need to ramp up our attacking game more, I just think he reverts to his 'factory setting' from time to time. Hopefully wins like last night will give him more faith in what he and the boys can do when they play a little looser.

But I guess that's why I was frustrated, because Horse has mastered the Cattery in past years by playing direct, attacking footy that played to our forwards advantage. I thought for whatever reason, we just didn't play that way this time around, which is why our forwards didn't get the kind of isolation they usually do against the Cats, and we put ourselves under pressure with that style of footy. Obviously Geelong are a different proposition this year, but I felt like that kind of made Horse go into his shell and focus too much on shutting them down, as opposed to playing in a way that made our boys more dangerous. But I think he did learn, because the game last night was a massive change to the week before.

I've never doubted though that Horse is aware we need to ramp up our attacking game more, I just think he reverts to his 'factory setting' from time to time. Hopefully wins like last night will give him more faith in what he and the boys can do when they play a little looser.

Geelong play a far more attacking game this year, relying on a winning midfield, fast moving well-coordinated forwards and a formidable rebounding defence. Their midfield gets them first use of the ball and they lock it into their forward line. Defence has to be a priority if we can't get first use. The trouble was that while we did well enough to get the ball into the hands of our forwards in good positions, they kept fluffing easy shots. Buddy is an excellent field kick normally but he sent three or four inside 50s straight to uncontested opposition. Some of those turnovers directly resulted in Geelong goals. The game was there to be won. I think we played the right strategy against Geelong but we executed poorly, even without pressure.

Geelong play a far more attacking game this year, relying on a winning midfield, fast moving well-coordinated forwards and a formidable rebounding defence. Their midfield gets them first use of the ball and they lock it into their forward line. Defence has to be a priority if we can't get first use. The trouble was that while we did well enough to get the ball into the hands of our forwards in good positions, they kept fluffing easy shots. Buddy is an excellent field kick normally but he sent three or four inside 50s straight to uncontested opposition. Some of those turnovers directly resulted in Geelong goals. The game was there to be won. I think we played the right strategy against Geelong but we executed poorly, even without pressure.

This is correct. In many respects our performance was better against Geelong than West Coast because Geelong brought better pressure, as indicated by the heat maps.

The point though for the purposes of this thread is that for the second time Horse has rejuvenated the list without bottoming out. We’ll be at least knocking on the door of finals this year. Might even sneak in. We’re competitive with the top 4 sides. And, once again, all the negative crap has been proven wrong.

And, once again, all the negative crap has been proven wrong.

You do a disservice to legit debate. Longmire (bar v Geelong when he tossed in the towel) is in better coaching form than he has for years. Why is this the case? Move to the bench for some games? Dispensing with gold card vet selection policies?

An impending task of Longmire's might just be to slowly phase Josh Kennedy out of playing every minute of his game in the guts of the midfield. I know, blasphemy, but I think there's enough evidence now over the last few seasons that we do just fine when the younger guys step into the middle with Kennedy doesn't play.

Since 2017, in games Kennedy hasn't played in, we're actually 5-1. 6-1 if you include the North game last year when he came off just before half-time. We lost the clearances in 5 of those 7 games, just for added context.

Now I'm obviously not saying Kennedy shouldn't be in the side or even shouldn't play in the guts of the midfield anymore - but I am saying that those numbers could be indicative of our young guys being able to do the job right now to a greater degree than when Kennedy is in. What if we started shifting him around to test it out like how Geelong have move Joel Selwood around? Kennedy's lack of pace is an obvious hindrance to him playing in a few positions, but given how we're playing, why not give it a go? He could still play most of the game in the middle where he's at his best, but I'd hate to see guys like Hewett and Florent and Jones when fit to stop their development as stoppage players when they're all doing well. Limiting Kennedy's time in the middle seems to me to be best for the team moving forward.

You do a disservice to legit debate. Longmire (bar v Geelong when he tossed in the towel) is in better coaching form than he has for years. Why is this the case? Move to the bench for some games? Dispensing with gold card vet selection policies?

It hasn’t been legit debate though has it. Like the Reid stuff it’s all been cliche ridden repetition monopolising thread after thread. “No plan B”. “Too defensive.” “Chippety chip”. “Too Buddy-centric.” “Not using Buddy enough.”

Anyone, like myself, who took the time to provide any sort of detailed analysis, got ridiculed for “rose coloured glasses” or “blaming injuries”. One liners. Entirely dismissive.

And he didn’t toss in the towel against Geelong. That sort of characterisation is really offensive and false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back