Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. Just wow. He said he told HIM that he regretted his words.... Thats what was said to GIL, and that is all that he is allowed to say. You might tell someone something, doesn't mean it's the truth. Maybe Jeff doesn't really mean it and won't admit that publicly. You're allowed to say what someone told you, however you can't speak further about their intentions on their behalf. They're different things mate.
Saying "Jeff regrets his words" is literally speaking for him.

The rest of your post is hot garbage.

you forgot one of the corollary(ies). Said <boorish behaviour> may be materially motivated backlash to overbearing strategy from AFL hq, circular dynamics, greater crackdown, greater protest, more secret police🙄

My opinion of what is boorish behaviour does not extend to a belief that what I find to be boorish behaviour is actually what it should or shouldn't be defined as, or what should and shouldn't be allowed or acceptable at the footy. The Skipper Kelly of 30 years ago would have been one of those pushing the boundaries due to the motivation you mentioned. The Skipper Kelly of today may not be as boorish but is more boring, meaning I won't be impacted in anyway from the comfort of my man cave.

We can assume Jeff didn't literally say to GIL that he can announce his intentions if he wanted to. Thats just common sense. How often do you come across a verbal contractual agreement after a general conversation jeez.
If you are important enough to have private secretaries in Government level meetings, or even chief of AFL, the exec. assistants/secretaries arrange most professional calls, unless using a private C U T___ O U T or BACKHANNELs. The default protocol, is PRIVATE conversation, you do not come out and leak it, or explicitly overt quote it 🙄

Last edited:
Gillon beholden to popular mores of the day.
Not a chief Statesman (nor CEO for that matter)
Leaders seem to be more and more risk averse when dealing with criticism so, by definition, I feel they fail as leaders both in politics and the corporate world. It's almost refreshing listening to ex-politicians because they actually speak their minds and makes me wish they did so during their actual public service.

The AFL is no longer a sports administration, it is a business and Gil will toe the corporate line and he will be risk averse when dealing with these sorts of issues which I think is a shame. I don't think Gil and the AFL are saints. The whitewashing of the Essendon drug scandal or the Melbourne tanking debacle despite the evidence was disgraceful. In this instance though I'm not seeing evidence of this being an AFL sanctioned crackdown yet people have jumped to that conclusion.

For a storm in a teacup - McLachlan looked shattered during that press conference.
Because It's disappointing that the general public passionately and distastefully headhunt people over minor issues based on opinion. It happens with everything not just sport or the AFL. And often they're cemented in their opinion regardless of what anyone says. There's no making them happy. It's sad that people get a kick out of beating someone even though the issue itself has no effect on the way they live their lives what so ever.

Look at the state of bloke over what should be a non issue. Lack of sympathy and logic from people.

So venue management unilaterally decided to crack down on fan behaviour. Wonder what it was that forced them to overreact in such a way.
exactly, think it is Orwel's aphorism *who said that* self censorship being more insidious than censorship. Well the AFL chief didn't need to send the dictate to Marvel ceo for the Marvel ceo to know of explicit expectations. It was unsaid, but instructed thru other means.

Because It's disappointing that the general public passionately and distastefully headhunt people over minor issues based on opinion. It happens with everything not just sport or the AFL. And often they're cemented in their opinion regardless of what anyone says. There's no making them happy. It's sad that people get a kick out of beating someone even though the issue itself has no effect on the way they live their lives what so ever.
Are you talking about Gil? If you think the ‘public’ has it in for him for no reason, you’d be as out of touch as him.

No it's not. He didn't say that. He said 'jeff told him". Thats changes it from speaking on his behalf, to speaking what was said to him
He literally said "I know that Jeff regrets his comments".

The fact that Kennett told him that in person doesn't mean he wasn't speaking for him about that topic at the press conference.

This is a stupid and irrelevant argument in semantics, but that's what you get when you call people "fckn dumb" and are wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there an official AFL offensive? There's a bit of jump in logic there. I guess ultimately the AFL run the show so they need to be held responsible but in the mix are the ground management and the security contractors. There's lot of moving parts there. Gil might not have moved on it fast enough but that doesn't mean there's some conscious and proactive crackdown going on at the AFL management level.

He should've produced one of those Essendon football department org charts where nobody was to blame.

It's a fair question that should be directed at the venues. That would be the rational decision here rather than absolutely battering who someone who is stating that it has nothing to do with him or the AFL. Yet another example of the masses jumping on a bandwagon if an issue that doesn't actually exist.

Let's say the conspiracy theory that Gil behind it is actually not true and that he's actually telling the truth. And because of it all he gets sacked. Are you all content of stripping someone from their job and publicly humiliating them of something that is not true? it's actually sad that public opinion has gotten to the point that things have become personal. Then they wonder why people are actually stamping their foot down on abuse and blatant bullying.

I would want Gil gone even if he had nothing to do with this.

But he does have something to do with this because he's is the CEO of the AFL for Christ sake.

He literally said "I know that Jeff regrets his comments".

The fact that Kennett told him that in person doesn't mean he wasn't speaking for him about that topic at the press conference.

This is a stupid and irrelevant argument in semantics, but that's what you get when you call people "fckn dumb" and are wrong.
He said it as his personal opinion of what was told to him. He believes what Jeff told him and told the media what Jeff told him. But he's not announcing a factual statement on jeff's behalf. I said it earlier, you're not able to comprehend it, it's ok. Move on.

I would want Gil gone even if he had nothing to do with this. But he does have something to do with this because he's is the CEO of the AFL for Christ sake.
What if it really is nothing but the venue deciding it? For arguments sake.
Would you feel bad for getting him sacked as a result?

He said it as his personal opinion of what was told to him. He believes what Jeff told him and told the media what Jeff told him. But he's not announcing a factual statement on jeff's behalf. I said it earlier, you're not able to comprehend it, it's ok. Move on.
I do comprehend it actually.

He should've produced one of those Essendon football department org charts where nobody was to blame.
Yeah he took the safe option so fair cop. He didn't want to throw the stadium management or the security contractors under the bus but a stronger statement would've been "Ultimately the AFL is the governing body so we take responsibility for the issue and will work with our partners to address it". He only said the second bit and then lots of "Nobody is to blame".

You understand that the AFL own the stadium where most of this stuff has happened right? So it's a fair chance that any crackdown by stadium management has come down from above, it's not that much of a leap.

The AFL could have met with stadium management but not had a meeting with them.

To borrow a quote from the great Sue Wilson “There’s a difference between meeting someone and having a meeting with them.";)

Are you talking about Gil? If you think the ‘public’ has it in for him for no reason, you’d be as out of touch as him.
The public has it in for everything about anything. It's the culture now. And it's s**t. He could be completely on your side and you'd find another view to hold against him. Or anything for that matter. We have a culture of disagreeing with everything, especially authoritative, regardless of our actual view. We change our opinions to create an argument about everything. Whether someone does something good or bad, there's always someone complaining with a whole flock behind them. There is absolutely nothing Gil could have said to make you or anyone else happy. Even if he did make you happy, someone else won't be. So he can't win.

What if it really is nothing but the venue deciding it? For arguments sake.
Would you feel bad for getting him sacked as a result?

None of us on this thread is on the AFL Commission. None of us "get him sacked".

Average fans like us make the game and McLachlan has made millions of dollars while showing contempt to people like us. Feel bad? - honestly not really.

The AFL could have met with stadium management but not had a meeting with them.

To borrow a quote from the great Sue Wilson “There’s a difference between meeting someone and having a meeting with them.";)
Gotcha ;)

76EMfa.gif

None of us on this thread is on the AFL Commission. None of us "get him sacked".

Average fans like us make the game and McLachlan has made millions of dollars while showing contempt to people like us. Feel bad? - honestly not really.
Then let's say he steps down as a result of the backlash due to feeling humiliated and unsafe. Again assuming for arguments sake he is actually telling the compete truth..? (Answer without spinning it to suit your agenda, you know exactly what Im implying)

And your factual evidence for him showing contempt? Oh wait, it's your opinion.

Then let's say he steps down as a result of the backlash due to feeling humiliated and unsafe. Again assuming for arguments sake he is actually telling the compete truth..? (Answer without spinning it to suit your agenda, you know exactly what Im implying)

And your factual evidence for him showing contempt? Oh wait, it's your opinion.
We're in a post-truth world. It's about the feels. Get with the times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back