Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about a tattooist with no tattoos?

I'd be very surprised if this person exists.

There was a contestant on Ink Master years ago, rather good artist, who had no tattoos. About halfway through the season he was eliminated and I'm convinced part of the reason was that, their guest judge for that week really got up him about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I saw a Financial advisor driving a Holden or Ford I would look elsewhere. Basically anything modern European (Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc) a minimum.

When my wife was pregnant we had a class at the hospital on a weekend. Walked through the carpark and I saw a standard Ford Focus in the Gynecologist carpark. Said to my wife she ain't having our child on the weekend.

Felt more at ease seeing the Porsche Cayenne in that same carpark for a midweek class we took.

For the cost of the delivery rightly so.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good financial advice may be invest in Holden/Ford. My nan sold her Monaro LS for $600 in the 90s. Now that would be pushing $100,000.

New fancy cars are a waste of money anyway. There's nothing financially sound about buying something that will lose up to half its value the second you leave the dealers.

Anyway our baby was born safe and the doctor was napping on a lounge covered in poo before the c-section.

So many naturally thin girls that lead average lifestyles taking advantage of it on instagram to become PT gurus and personal trainers despite never being overweight in their life even before they started pretending to diet and exercise to an above average level.

Not as bad as the other women and men who follow it.

Kindergarten graduation night.

Kids dressed in university graduation gowns, recieving trophies, putting on a play and singing several songs for their parents. So much pretentiousness.

And while I'm on this topic there's a parent who films her 3 year old kid walking into the kindergarten unloading his backpack and taking his shoes off every single day and when he's leaving kindy at the end of the day.. He has to wave goodbye and hello to the camera.

Good financial advice may be invest in Holden/Ford. My nan sold her Monaro LS for $600 in the 90s. Now that would be pushing $100,000.

New fancy cars are a waste of money anyway. There's nothing financially sound about buying something that will lose up to half its value the second you leave the dealers.

Anyway our baby was born safe and the doctor was napping on a lounge covered in poo before the c-section.

It was (kind of) a joke. Broken Hill is a different economy anyway .

I get around in a VX Commodore and never plan on updating it, unless it dies. I did buy it reasonably new and have had it nearly 16 years now.

When I think back to all the cars my old man had whilst growing up in the 80s and 90s I cry. He was big on buying an old Holden (never a Ford) Mazda or Datsun with minor things wrong with em and fixing em up drove em for a few months then sell it. He often had three or four cars on the go in the cycle.

My mums daily driver was a Mazda 808 wagon with a Rotary engine in it he put in before it was cool. He was always tinkering with that.

My first car was a 1971 LC Torana he used to teach me how a car works. We basically rebuilt it over four years, he got it just after I turned 12. I learnt not to take too much stock in cars after I crashed it as a 17 year old P plater. Complete write off. Yes we got some money back on it but nowhere near the hours we spent or financial expense.

I do wonder if I never crashed that car if I too would have got that bug. I pretty much do all the servicing on my VX because I enjoy it. Plus I would have a very valuable Torana in the carport next to my VX.

Probably sacrilege, but what are your thoughts of a LH or UC Torana with modern (ie Ecotec) engine and running gear?
It is an idea I have been toying with over the years. I love that mid to late 70s Torana body and interior but like the convenience of modern running gear.
V8 does not really interest me.

And unlike doctors, you don't need to formally know anything to be a "personal trainer".

Doctors give the same advice as WebMD a lot of the time. It's the formality as you said. Nothing stopping anyone from going to some kook witch-doctor who prescribes essential oils and healing crystals, just don't expect them to have malpractice insurance or Medicare to pay for it.

What you really get from a doctor is years of medical training rubber stamped by reputable universities and teaching hospitals and an industry that is highly regulated. It's pretty unlikely to go find a GP that the AMA somehow don't know all about. You can get a doctor who is half-arsed and misdiagnoses you, prescribes something you don't need or that makes you worse etc. but in doing so you are afforded certain protections. Similar to getting tax advice from a CPA, legal representation etc.

You can be a PT with a Masters in Sports Science or one of those 'Australian Institute of Fitness' polo shirts and backpacks and it doesn't mean much. Who you choose to give your money to is your business, but AFAIK there's no regulatory body tightly controlling the whole thing. Not sure you can sue a PT if you work out with them and are still fat after 3 months or you hurt your knee.

Probably sacrilege, but what are your thoughts of a LH or UC Torana with modern (ie Ecotec) engine and running gear?
It is an idea I have been toying with over the years. I love that mid to late 70s Torana body and interior but like the convenience of modern running gear.

UC is probably the 'played one season too many' of Torana so I reckon it would be worth a go. Very few would have been made with V8 anyway. LH is a bit more iconic but still four door ones aren't uncommon, but I would keep the original motor around in the shed just in case, rather than move it on.

Old 6's more convenient than the 8 of the era anyway. My 253 takes forever to warm up and still stalls as an auto. A fella down the street with a 202 drives it as a daily, starts first time every time.

The ecotech is my VY is a solid motor.

Agree re: car interiors. I reckon it's preferable to modify the engine than those beautiful interiors and dashboards from a purist angle.

It's been done before and can provide a very driveable and unique car but the real value is in original. 20 years ago a bog standard LH/LX Torana was worth a grand or so. Now you're lucky to find anything under 10x that. SL/R more, L34 or A9X (if you can find one) much much more. If you picked up a base model worth $10-15k and spent $10k putting a V6 in it I don't think you'd have a car worth $25k.

Whatever motor is in it it still needs to marry to a transmission and driveline. A car built in 1975 with a Tri-matic and Banjo diff isn't going to be as smooth as a car built in the 2000s with a more modern driveline. IMO the Ecotec V6 is nothing special anyway. An OHV V6 introduced in the 80s isn't a whole lot more advanced than a Holden red motor anyway. The Alloytec DOHC V6 is a lot more modern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best WTF job I ever saw was a 20 year old girl go traveling and picked up some part time work in London as a food critic.

I mean she was from a wealthy area and it was a parent funded trip and a parents connection job but who the hell hires a 20 year old girl with no qualifications or experience in food or journalism to be a food critic? That's a job for a 48 year old man in slacks.

L̶i̶b̶e̶r̶a̶l̶ Conservative voters.

It's been done before and can provide a very driveable and unique car but the real value is in original. 20 years ago a bog standard LH/LX Torana was worth a grand or so. Now you're lucky to find anything under 10x that. SL/R more, L34 or A9X (if you can find one) much much more. If you picked up a base model worth $10-15k and spent $10k putting a V6 in it I don't think you'd have a car worth $25k.

Whatever motor is in it it still needs to marry to a transmission and driveline. A car built in 1975 with a Tri-matic and Banjo diff isn't going to be as smooth as a car built in the 2000s with a more modern driveline. IMO the Ecotec V6 is nothing special anyway. An OHV V6 introduced in the 80s isn't a whole lot more advanced than a Holden red motor anyway. The Alloytec DOHC V6 is a lot more modern.

I've heard the alloytec get ripped on a bit, more than the ecotech? What about the black motor that was only released with the VK?

Last edited:

FWIW when my Tri-matic is purring it is very smooth. Yes there is serious understeer on the HQ combined with the no power steering, but the ride quality when warmed is definitely comparable to a modern commodore.

Have never owned one. Just highlighting that the Ecotec is old tech.

Old tech isn't necessarily bad but you can get a basic red/blue motor balanced and running smoothly.

Blue gets ripped on too a bit. I guess the TLDR is that Holden seriously struggled beyond even the most pessimistic forecast to adapt to changing emissions, which did eventually to just saying * it and throwing a Nissan motor in the VL then a Buick in the VN before attempting an Aussie made one again.

Of course, a neighbour who is an mechanical engineer reckons that done right the pollution motors could be just as strong as pre-pollution, so maybe most people just didn't know what they were doing. He is also the only person I have heard recommend fixing the automatic choke on my engine when everyone else says they're shithouse.

I have been thinking Ecotec as that is what is in my VX.

So take the running gear (Engine, trans diff) from that and put in a Torana shell.

Yeah I agree it is not a decision based on adding value. Just driving a cool car that starts first time every time.

Probably a pipe dream.

I've heard the alloytec get ripped on a bit, more than the ecotech? What about the black motor that was only released with the VK?

A guy I know who worked worked on the plant said the Alloytec was built cheap. He reckons I should keep my VX as long as possible and stop putting kays on it.

Sitting on 140k now.

I have been thinking Ecotec as that is what is in my VX.

So take the running gear (Engine, trans diff) from that and put in a Torana shell.

Yeah I agree it is not a decision based on adding value. Just driving a cool car that starts first time every time.

Probably a pipe dream.

From memory there's a limit to which gearboxes will fit in the transmission tunnel but it's been ages since I looked at any of this stuff in detail. Nothing is impossible, just expensive...

A guy I know who worked worked on the plant said the Alloytec was built cheap. He reckons I should keep my VX as long as possible and stop putting kays on it.

Sitting on 140k now.

Lol how? My VY has nearly 300k. Our VR which has been left out to rust for the last decade nearly 500k.

OLook up Project Binky on YouTube
A Mini with Celica running gear.

A very long build. Not sure they have even finished it yet. But worth a look.

I remember watching a youtube years ago of a guy who had jammed a 350 into the rear of a mini transversely. Clearly a 'because I can' story. Thing was ******* ridiculous but quite funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back