List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn Will Golds - pick 30, 2018 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed that 2-5th in the 2km time trial were all 20 years old or younger. We definitely got some young guy runners in the list.
Smith still comes out on top.

1. Smith
2. Nash
3. Golds
4. Moore
5. Jones
Did we happen to get a list of the full field? I'd heard that perhaps not everyone ran, so it would be interesting to know who they beat.

Was def one of the best against the Lions today, had a few in the crowd asking who he was and saying that he has some class.
Too right he does! He has a light frame but he knows how to get it and what to do with it. Watch this kid with interest!

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So much to like about this kid, really impressed me today.

Needs to put on a little size, but that's nothing that a preseason or two won't fix.

Will surprise many supporters with his game sense and skills.

Plus, who couldn't love having a Hawthorn supporter on our list, with the surname Golds?

Great athleticism to build on. An excellent foundation and good nous. Good first hitout, even if pre-season.

However, when I see a frame like his I always get a little gun shy. After the Billy "could be like Chris Judd" Hartung fiasco, I'm optimistic but not going to get my hopes too high until I see him delivering a little more consistently.

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
However, when I see a frame like his I always get a little gun shy. After the Billy "could be like Chris Judd" Hartung fiasco, I'm optimistic but not going to get my hopes too high until I see him delivering a little more consistently.

I know of noon that stated Billy could be the next Judd, wow. Who said that? David King?

I know of noon that stated Billy could be the next Judd, wow. Who said that? David King?

A little hyperbole from me, but the word Judd-like was mentioned in a few training reports from a few years ago from our watchers. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hold it against them as they do an amazing job with all the reports, info and critical analysis. It’s just that that was a big lesson for me to temper my expectations :)

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
This is what I thought that we were getting when we rookied him but didn't expect to see it for a year or two against big bodies with his slight frame. Just imagine when he's fully grown. You can't teach what he has in footy nous not to mention his running ability. He could be our Issy replacement on that first up performance.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Yep, it's March. It was a practice match. The reason I am surprised that there are not more people raving about this kid is that he was identified as a great aerobic athlete more than a footballer. Well, he has now shown that he has promise as a footballer. Regularly put himself in the right position, always ran on to offer another option, good disposal and thoroughly convinced me that he has promise. I never say anything negative about young players so I won't use names, but IMHO this kid just passed half a dozen or more others on our list....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly has hit the ground running.

Not sure why he dropped so late in the draft, was it because of his ACL injury?

I honestly can't figure it out. I've been looking at the reports of him through the his TAC Cup games after he recovered and he played well every game.

26 touches, good disposal plenty of inside 50s.
27 touches, good disposal plenty of inside 50s.
25 touches, good disposal plenty of inside 50s.

It was just that over and over again, plus comments about how he gets to the right places and runs well. It's exactly what you want from a footballer.

It's a lot easier to put some size on a bloke than it is to teach them to get to the right spots.

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haven't heard much about the kid. Any updates?

From the weekend:

Screenshot_20190626-180201_Hawthorn.jpg

How was his first season in the end?

Saw him a handful of times at U18 and thought he had a fair bit to work with so I have been tentatively excited about him.

Saw him a handful of times at U18 and thought he had a fair bit to work with so I have been tentatively excited about him.
He had a pretty good year.
He can find it and he can use it well, but he’s still slight of build and learning.

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United

I would rate his first season as very good considering he was always picked for a longer term look with his slight build and coming off a long term injury. His ability to take the opposition on and link up well with good speed and agility really stands out. If he can gain some size and strength he could be our Issie replacement in the waiting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back