Training Jen's training updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is no public training this week. They are training off-site, and won't be publicized.

Might do them some good. Away from the public eye and reporters/media.

This is troubling to me, and another symptom of something odd that seems to have occurred in recent weeks. Training off-site and closing it is this week's thing, last week Bucks held his press conference really early in the week rather than after the training session. Then we have the football department deciding to completely discard full injury reports with Walsh that included estimated returns and more info about what the nature of the injury was, rather than just a static image with the location of where a player is injured.

Added to that, there has been a marked shift in Bucks' persona in the past month or so, where he's gone back to being the grouch he was in previous years (perhaps somewhat understandable but it happened even before the Freo loss).

Then the club tried to be so controlling of the messaging that went out in the media about the Stephenson thing, which led to the argument between Walsh and Mick Warner on 3AW.

It just kind of seems like the club has done a complete about-face on the positivity and openness that permeated the whole of 2018, including open media weeks where they swung the doors to the Holden Centre open and gave the media carte blanche on a number of players. The toxic vibe (from the outside) and Soviet-style controlling of information from the middle-of-the-ladder years has returned in recent weeks.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is troubling to me, and another symptom of something odd that seems to have occurred in recent weeks. Training off-site and closing it is this week's thing, last week Bucks held his press conference really early in the week rather than after the training session. Then we have the football department deciding to completely discard full injury reports with Walsh that included estimated returns and more info about what the nature of the injury was, rather than just a static image with the location of where a player is injured.

Added to that, there has been a marked shift in Bucks' persona in the past month or so, where he's gone back to being the grouch he was in previous years (perhaps somewhat understandable but it happened even before the Freo loss).

Then the club tried to be so controlling of the messaging that went out in the media about the Stephenson thing, which led to the argument between Walsh and Mick Warner on 3AW.

It just kind of seems like the club has done a complete about-face on the positivity and openness that permeated the whole of 2018, including open media weeks where they swung the doors to the Holden Centre open and gave the media carte blanche on a number of players. The toxic vibe (from the outside) and Soviet-style controlling of information from the middle-of-the-ladder years has returned in recent weeks.

2018 had no expectations, everything was a bonus but this year there is very high expectations despite having an equally bad injury list almost. Expectations weigh heavily especially on Collingwood because every man and his dog are wanting either success or failure.

I like the idea they are behind closed doors this week, it would worry me if they just went through the motions at training this week like nothing happened. Maybe Buckley has decided enough is enough and to tear some shreds off them this week and deliver some sprays and home truths so we can start again on a clean slate, I wouldn't blame him. Maybe they have decided meetings are the most important this week to work out what is going on and solve it.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

The warning signs have been there, as you very rightly point out this isn't the 2018 Collingwood from a public relations standpoint. Off-site training for this week though, for me that's nowhere near equivalent however to some of these other symptoms that have been going on - Truly bizarre the disappearance of those Walsh video reports midway through the season.
Whatever they are doing is at least something different, and hopefully something which hits home hard and can shift the course of this underwhelming but somewhat successfully scrappy season. Shame since I was keen to have a look tomorrow (lucky I checked too thanks guys), but am happy enough to cop not seeing the lads run around at training for what will hopefully go some way to bringing back playing with a bit of pride.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rumor that they could be using vic park including the old rooms. Maybe to get things back to basics? when things were simplier.

Yeah was wondering whether VP may have been an option. Spending some time around there may be worthwhile for the boys.

If not there hopefully they pop up at one of our local ovals!

Yeah was wondering whether VP may have been an option. Spending some time around there may be worthwhile for the boys.

If not there hopefully they pop up at one of our local ovals!
I live across the road basically. I may see if I can sneak a peek. Not sure tomorrow or thursday. I will check both days.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Or maybe you're looking for signs that aren't actually any there. I think it's personnel driven form issues that are impacting the club rather than any underlying malaise.

My word is that they've hired a large transportation vehicle, possibly a bus, and will spend some hours driving around to the soundtrack of opposition theme songs. It's a therapeutic technique. Not sure how it works but I've heard some good things about it.

My word is that they've hired a large transportation vehicle, possibly a bus, and will spend some hours driving around to the soundtrack of opposition theme songs. It's a therapeutic technique. Not sure how it works but I've heard some good things about it.

Really?

I heard that they’ve hired a town hall and a singing coach and will spend the morning practicing singing “Good ol’ Collingwood Forever” with passion and gusto.

Not sure how that works either, but likewise, I’ve heard some good things about it.

Really?

I heard that they’ve hired a town hall and a singing coach and will spend the morning practicing singing “Good ol’ Collingwood Forever” with passion and gusto.

Not sure how that works either, but likewise, I’ve heard some good things about it.

The collective psyche of a football team can be a very complex thing, a bit beyond me, but it is difficult to see how repeated renditions of the club song in such a venerable setting could fail to stir the team. If they top it off with 'Bound for Glory', then look out!

Really?

Really? I've heard they've booked out Highpoint cineplex and are spending the day watching a video montage of Rhyce Shaw turnovers and bloopers in order to help overcome the scarring of being smashed by his team.

The collective psyche of a football team can be a very complex thing, a bit beyond me, but it is difficult to see how repeated renditions of the club song in such a venerable setting could fail to stir the team. If they top it off with 'Bound for Glory', then look out!
giphy.gif

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Resurrecting the bat mobile the icing on the cake.

I can reveal that are currently at enjoying a round of golf at Moonah Links. This will be followed by lunch and refreshments at the Rye hotel. The pub has arranged priority access to all betting machines for the afternoon.

Ed has promised to fire up the hot tub down at Portsea later in the evening.

I can reveal that are currently at enjoying a round of golf at Moonah Links. This will be followed by lunch and refreshments at the Rye hotel. The pub has arranged priority access to all betting machines for the afternoon.

Ed has promised to fire up the hot tub down at Portsea later in the evening.
I reckon they are all on Stevo's couch, contemplating their next move as their performances have gone down since Stevo's mate stopped putting money on them

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

Weren’t you staunchly anti club info being released only a couple of weeks ago? With the whole “wewantanswersoninjuries” hashtag or whatever it was. Now the club is exhibiting communist tendencies :$

Brigi2127

Debutant
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
They were at the Sea Baths at St Kilda. Went down there after seeing the photo on insta and they were just doing some light training, kicking the footy about but not a lot of intensity. Then that was followed by a dip in the ocean and then they all left. Didn’t look like their main session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back