Numbers on shirts for coming Ashes series

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea when trying to identify fieldsman but lets hope this does not lead to advertising on tops.

Last edited:

I am not a fan of bringing it into test cricket.

But...

I do like it in the shield as it helps identify players who I am not familiar with. Which is probably the exact thing for whom they are aiming this idea at. However, with the broadcast levels of test cricket and the minimum standards of screens/scorecards at every English/Australian ground is surely unnecessary.

Well, I wouldn't have suspected this is what made me give up watching test cricket, but there you go:

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/tes...-tim-paine-ashes-test-championship/2019-07-08
You'll stop watching test cricket because of this? Rightio.

I think this is a great idea. Anything that helps spectators identify players is brilliant. It shouldn't be difficult to know who is who on the field. With numbers (and to a lesser extent names) on players shirts, combined with those numbers next to the players' names on the scoreboards, you'll know instantly who is who. And I fail to see how that is a bad thing.

I don't even like numbers on ODI shirts. Keep it classy.

Maybe the players can chat to the commentators while they are batting and fielding too.

Gotta be a place for free hits as well.

Sponsor logos have been on test whites for years
They have, and I despise that but at least they aren't taking over the shirt, like footy jumpers, and some ODI kits.

I'm generally conservative when it comes to changing cricket, but this really takes nothing away (it affects the asthetics a little). Its far less of a problem than day-night Tests, modern bats, or people who want to introduce over limits in the first innings, or many other changes to the weay the game is actually played. And it may help people who drop in and out of a day's play on TV, or go to a game every now and then but aren't regular watchers.

They have, and I despise that but at least they aren't taking over the shirt, like footy jumpers, and some ODI kits.

I'm generally conservative when it comes to changing cricket, but this really takes nothing away (it affects the asthetics a little). Its far less of a problem than day-night Tests, modern bats, or people who want to introduce over limits in the first innings, or many other changes to the weay the game is actually played. And it may help people who drop in and out of a day's play on TV, or go to a game every now and then but aren't regular watchers.

Could help the kids identify the players better to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks dreadful

If you don't know the players very well then you aren't watching test cricket anyway

Can't the BCCI put a stop to this somehow?

We want the ones" not watching" test cricket to get involved in cricket.Personally do not like it but if it helps in more people showing an interest in watching cricket including the kids all the better.

We want the ones" not watching" test cricket to get involved in cricket.Personally do not like it but if it helps in more people showing an interest in watching cricket including the kids all the better.
Has anyone ever said they don't like tests because they can't tell who the players are?

Did people flock to Shield cricket when they brought it in there?

Looks dreadful

If you don't know the players very well then you aren't watching test cricket anyway

Can't the BCCI put a stop to this somehow?
Dig up some highlights of the series vs Sri Lanka earlier this year and take note of how little the commentators knew who the SL fielders were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back