Green
Labuschange
Head
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

After this series I think Khawja will be finished. Maddinson’s form since going back to opening has been great which allows Smith to return to his best position to hopefully turn his form around and Labuschange drops down the order for the time being, again hopefully allowing him to find some form. Marsh is unlucky but IMO he isn’t in our best 6 batsman in the country.

Carey is on thin ice if he can’t contribute some runs with Inglis in the background.

I think it may be the last summer for Starc as well with a need to bring in a younger bowler.
Going far to early selecting this side especially with what Marsh does tomorrow and what Maddinson does in the shield game against WA and perhaps the shield final.Remember Bancroft is also in this shield game and perhaps the final.

providing every fit and firing on all cylinders - same XI.

wouldn't be surprised if khawaja retired at some point between now and the first test - but chances are slim.

the batting is somewhat of a concern with only warner, head and green tonning up.
smith, khawaja, labs, marsh and green did however score a 90+ during the summer.

batting has the talent but was a bit flaky this summer and still no real batsmen banging down the door.

with a good summer against india and then over in sri lanka, it'll be off to the WTC final (likely opponent india).

When you win a series with your best batsmen being the two all-rounders and the tail, that is unsustainable. We have no matches for 9 months, so all batting positions need to be made open and the side plays all the early Shield matches to earn their spot. The side needs a gradual refresh, even if someone is a little unlucky. Be alot worse than then all going at once, which history shows has been ugly.

Picking a side is difficult right now given form batting-wise. i'm not keen on a rising 35yo and 34yo opening the bowling together next year either. Like just one of them. The 34yo I am very keen on keeping though on form. Just don't know what 9 more months of aging, athletic-wise, will do. Just wonder what adding someone like Spencer Johnson to Cummins and Hazelwood would do.

Every time I type something like this the bloke I want to drop embarrasses me. Starc will now take 40 wickets next summer...haha.

Last edited:
We played with grit and found a way to win, but it still feels like papering over the cracks.

I think Smith is simply out of form, and I don't think where he bats is honestly going to change that. That said, Head has been in a rut, so I wouldn't mind seeing Head to open, Smith 3, Green 4 and Marnus 5. I know Head has said he's not keen on opening, and when he was the best number 5 in the world that's fair enough, but he's not now.

Put him in against a hard new ball. Yeah he'll nick off occasionally, but he does that against the old ball too. And having Head-Marsh-Carey at 5-7 is too bazball for me. Meanwhile Labs batting 5 protects him from the new ball that he's been struggling with lately.

Alternatively, keep Smith opening. While not a success, I don't think it's been a failure. He's been getting out the exact same way he's been getting out at 4.

Alternatively, keep Smith opening. While not a success, I don't think it's been a failure. He's been getting out the exact same way he's been getting out at 4.

In his prime he simply didn't miss the balls that were on his pads, his eyes starting to go on him unfortunately.. he'd go better against a older ball.

When you win a series with your best batsmen being the two all-rounders and the tail, that is unsustainable. We have no matches for 9 months, so all batting positions need to be made open and the side plays all the early Shield matches to earn their spot. The side needs a gradual refresh, even if someone is a little unlucky. Be alot worse than then all going at once, which history shows has been ugly.

Picking a side is difficult right now given form batting-wise. i'm not keen on a rising 35yo and 34yo opening the bowling together next year either. Like just one of them. The 34yo I am very keen on keeping though on form. Just don't know what 9 more months of aging, athletic-wise, will do. Just wonder what adding someone like Spencer Johnson to Cummins and Hazelwood would do.

Every time I type something like this the bloke I want to drop embarrasses me. Starc will now take 40 wickets next summer...haha.

So who gets selected for the T20/ODI series against Pakistan that precedes the India test series?

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If they were to drop a batsmen to get Smith back in the middle order It'd have to be Travis Head.

1. Khawaja
2. Bancroft
3. Labuschagne
4. Green
5. Smith
6. M. Marsh
7. Carey
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. T. Head

I honestly can't see Bancroft going that well though so I'd probably go the same XI for the first Indian Test but a couple batsmen would have to produce or get the flick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our batting order is a real issue. I hope we give up on Smith opening. It could be his swansong next summer. I think Bumrah and co will eat him up with the new ball. I'm not sure we can really carry Green and Marsh - both players who average early to mid 30s.
Can't carry Green? He's about the only one that isn't a great concern to me either because of age (Ussie and Smith) or terrible form (Marn and now Head). Marsh I'm not wild about. Unfortunately, by way of being less shite than just about everyone else since returning to the side - he will remain.

Seeing as there are no more tests until India, the XI will be unchanged I assume. They won't drop anyone off Shield form

After the T20WC get all the quicks to put the feet up, and really prime themselves for this series

I can see the next home Ashes, being a lot of players swansong however if the team is still performing they can go as long as they want

If they were to drop a batsmen to get Smith back in the middle order It'd have to be Travis Head.

1. Khawaja
2. Bancroft
3. Labuschagne
4. Green
5. Smith
6. M. Marsh
7. Carey
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. T. Head

I honestly can't see Bancroft going that well though so I'd probably go the same XI for the first Indian Test but a couple batsmen would have to produce or get the flick.

One of the issues that we have is that Marsh and Head are essentially the same type of player - a counter attacking middle order batter and a useful relief bowler. I agree Smith would be better at 5 - for him and to balance all the counter attackers but that creates a few problems (noting that we have a few problems now anyway).

What the selectors want and what the public wants is nowhere near a match.

They will pick the same XI as they had for the past few Tests and hope we have forgotten about the fragility of the top order come October.

The top order has been a issue for some years, covered up by Smith's dominance.

The top order has been a issue for some years, covered up by Smith's dominance.
It's funny one for me......we don't have 2/3 bats in form at the same time...and I think thats the major issue

When smudge was in from Warner was out of it.....When ussie starts making runs marnus drops off....When Head starts smashing it Smudge drops off...etc

We have this approach where one batter goes okay and the others struggle

Its pretty clear selectors won't change anything, injury aside. And, despite not being a fan of what they did post-Davey, its hard to blame them. Nobody is looking much good in the Shield.
The Aus top six are as flaky as untreated dandruff, but each can point to one innings in recent(ish) times - with few, if any, showing much better a level down. I expect a panic move for the MCG and SCG, with someone who puts together a couple of slog 40s in the BBL pulled in to fill a hole.

Yea.. McDonald come out yesterday and said it'd be a unchanged side for the 1st India Test.

Injuries or a sudden retirement are the only way there'll be change/s for the first test against India. Smith is the only one who's future could be questioned but they'll point to him carrying his bat at the Gabba against the West Indies as to why he'll be a walk up start against India in Perth.

Injuries or a sudden retirement are the only way there'll be change/s for the first test against India. Smith is the only one who's future could be questioned but they'll point to him carrying his bat at the Gabba against the West Indies as to why he'll be a walk up start against India in Perth.
yeah most likely you are right but I think they are trying to get some shield games in before the 1st test starts. Will be interesting to see if they prioritise the test players into the shield comp before the 1st test.

The majority of them will have been playing a lot of white ball cricket so genuine FC is a must IMO

and it will be interesting to see what happens with Smudge. I honestly believe there is not a spot for him in the T20 World Cup squad .out of all the players reckon he needs at least 3 shield games as an opener before the first test

If everyone thinks Australia will win the series in a canter against India, think again. India has won the previous two series here in Australia, and our top 6 batsmen are under the pump. And I expect this summer to be no different.

On 5002X using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back