Test Pick a likely Australian Test team for next summer's series against India

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure - but he also has a lot of baggage.

Pucovski doesn't? You guaranteeing he won't want some health break halfway through a test? Or get himself concussed through his poor technique?

A few of our guys are older than the pyramids, so might become easier to find a place as more time goes on.

Talent isn’t the question don’t think anyone has questioned his talent…problem the bloke can’t stop headbutting the ball and taking health breaks. Continuity is so important in a test side you can’t be replacing a top 6 bat every 2 tests.

If he shows he can play a full season (no breaks) he’ll be considered.

If Pucovski is available, then he has to be in.

342 runs at 31 in Shield.. he has to put better numbers out then that to force his way in.

If he shows he can play a full season (no breaks) he’ll be considered.

He has to score runs at Shield level which he is struggling with atm bar the odd 100.

Last edited:
Inglis making 136 n.o. striking at over 80 for WA shows yet again his batting ability. The question of whether he is more valuable than Carey in a test side won't go away.

He does seem a good bat. Perhaps he could first work on having a first class batting average higher than Carey though - and his keeping is not quite to the same standard from what I have seen.

However if the two formlines continue he will be putting Carey under pressure next summer.

I understand the "Bancroft will fail" thing but frankly, if Labs fails in the 2nd NZ test he needs to justify his spot by scoring big in the Shield at the start of the cricket season. At that point, any of Bancroft, Maddinson or McSweeney at least deserve a shot, it's very unlikely to be worse

A couple of near 34/35 at the time pacemen worry me as aging is insidious. The 9 months between Test could make a difference there. Openers will be 38 and 38. Trying to work out if the side needs refreshing. Like to see Pucovski play if he could keep his head out of the way of the ball, but one never knows there.

A couple of near 34/35 at the time pacemen worry me as aging is insidious. The 9 months between Test could make a difference there. Openers will be 38 and 38. Trying to work out if the side needs refreshing. Like to see Pucovski play if he could keep his head out of the way of the ball, but one never knows there.

I think we are done with Pucovski dreams now. No good options for openers but I'd like to see McSweeney get a run in the middle order next summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the "Bancroft will fail" thing but frankly, if Labs fails in the 2nd NZ test he needs to justify his spot by scoring big in the Shield at the start of the cricket season. At that point, any of Bancroft, Maddinson or McSweeney at least deserve a shot, it's very unlikely to be worse
Will all our players be available to play shield cricket next season before the test series against India though.

Some will be in short format games. Labs should absolutely be playing Shield though
What short format games are on,I would like to see a guy like Maxwell play all shield games up to the test series.Set up the fixture so a 4 day shield game followed by both teams play a 1 day game after the shield game.

What short format games are on,I would like to see a guy like Maxwell play all shield games up to the test series.Set up the fixture so a 4 day shield game followed by both teams play a 1 day game after the shield game.
Problem is Maxwell is also 35 by then. Cupboard is scarily bare for under 30s

It feels really bare from like 25 through to 35 but few promising players under 25, just probably not quite ready. Top 3 is the scariest really
Young bowlers we have decent depth coming through. Pace and spin alike. Batting though....Ollie Davies....McSweeney is 26 next season and hasn't set the world on fire tbh.

Dare I say it, big Webster seems like the type to get found out at international level a really struggle. I hope I'm proven wrong if he's given the chance though.

Depending on the start of the shield season:-

Maddinson
Khawaja
Smith
Green
Labuschange
Head
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

After this series I think Khawja will be finished. Maddinson’s form since going back to opening has been great which allows Smith to return to his best position to hopefully turn his form around and Labuschange drops down the order for the time being, again hopefully allowing him to find some form. Marsh is unlucky but IMO he isn’t in our best 6 batsman in the country.

Carey is on thin ice if he can’t contribute some runs with Inglis in the background.

I think it may be the last summer for Starc as well with a need to bring in a younger bowler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back