Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

The s**t disposal to him hardly gave him much chance. Crocker had s Barry but his teammates seemed hellbent on making him look bad.

I didn't have an issue with him losing that contest. Would much prefer he win it but that's footy sometimes. I was however disappointed with how he responded after the contest though, slow to his feet, well less than the 100% effort to chase I'd like to see or expect from him. If he'd actually got to his feet quickly and chased hard I can live with it.

Just watched the last quarter for the third time (gulp). Nothing beats watching premiership football.

Re Crocker, while clearly outclassed for most of the game, he never stopped trying. When Bucks asked for a monumental effort at 3/4 time, he did his bit. He didnt drop his head when beaten by Jetta, and in his limited way he helped us win. He may not keep his place next week, for a variety of good reasons, but so be it. At the very least, he was part of a significant win and hopefully one which we look back on and see as the turning point in our season.

Actually....drop his head is kind of exactly what he did.

Jetta just got up and ran away and Crock gave up the chase almost immediately.

Ed, but how do you really feel about the Crock? :p

Barry had a bad game... yes the Jetta contest was v ordinary. He really tried hard in the last Q. I am sure he more than anyone here,or at the game would not be proud of his days work.
Hands up who hasn't had a days work like above...

Barry had a bad game... yes the Jetta contest was v ordinary. He really tried hard in the last Q. I am sure he more than anyone here,or at the game would not be proud of his days work.
Hands up who hasn't had a days work like above...
Now now, you don’t expect us posters to be anything but perfect all the time.

:p

Just watched the last quarter for the third time (gulp). Nothing beats watching premiership football.

Re Crocker, while clearly outclassed for most of the game, he never stopped trying. When Bucks asked for a monumental effort at 3/4 time, he did his bit. He didnt drop his head when beaten by Jetta, and in his limited way he helped us win. He may not keep his place next week, for a variety of good reasons, but so be it. At the very least, he was part of a significant win and hopefully one which we look back on and see as the turning point in our season.

The bare minimum required is 'trying'.. particularly in a successful/good side.. otherwise.. wouldn't last very long. 2 blokes that spring to mind are Fasolo who deliberately avoided working hard and Frost who was an absolute cheat.

I can't think of anyone at Collingwood who doesn't try.

He contributed bugger all as far as I'm concerned.

What did he do.. kick a point.. kicking a point is contributing? Incidentally.. it was a point we won the game by. Doesn't make him at all a contributor. 'Lucky' more like it.

He's a bad footballer.. your post is 'safe'.

Last edited:

Not sure whether he gave up the chase or not.. perhaps he was buggered. Lactic acid. Not AFL ready. Unfortunately for Crock.. that's part and parcel of being an AFL player.. 'if you don't have the goods to compete in the last.. well.. you're s**t.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tries hard, restricted in his ability...on shaky ground come years end..

Has a solid VFL career ahead of him but that's about it.

From the outside looking in it looks like he never really worked hard enough on his strength and conditioning in those critical first few years to add a bit of either elusiveness or explosiveness to his game (yes he had reasons) and you need one of the two at a minimum to succeed as a medium forward at AFL level.

It's a shame because from all reports he's a rippling young man who has shouldered burdens many of us couldn't even contemplate from a young age without fuss, but at this stage perhaps lowering his sights and taking a step back to a lower-pressure career at state level might be the best outcome.

Not sure whether he gave up the chase or not.. perhaps he was buggered. Lactic acid. Not AFL ready. Unfortunately for Crock.. that's part and parcel of being an AFL player.. 'if you don't have the goods to compete in the last.. well.. you're s**t.'

My little cousin played against him before he was drafted.

Thought he was a gun at that lower level.

Even he can't believe how bad Crocker is now. He also played against De Goey and Darcy Moore too.

I am hoping Crocker gets another go at it this week. Have a feeling he might do well.
If they play him on a wing, even if he plays a good game on the graveyard flank it's not sustainable, we need to see if he can pull of a Mayne and accumulate upfield

Even he can't believe how bad Crocker is now. He also played against De Goey and Darcy Moore too.
Always levels out when they’re adults.
De Goey and Moore much higher selections in their draft year, and Crocker a suck it and see pick.

It’s just likely than Ben is a simple medium level talent at best. Will not be more as his talents don’t allow for that extra levels required to be the higher talent.

So he either finds a way to etch out a longer career or plateaus at his level.

Many are in that level.

Crocker was captain of that team (Oakleigh Chargers)

De Goey and Moore much higher selections in their draft year, and Crocker a suck it and see pick.

It’s just likely than Ben is a simple medium level talent at best. Will not be more as his talents don’t allow for that extra levels required to be the higher talent.

Many are in that level.
It's athleticism. If Degoey and Crocker swapped bodies, Crocker would be the star and Degoey would be a VFL player.

It's athleticism. If Degoey and Crocker swapped bodies, Crocker would be the star and Degoey would be a VFL player.
Aunty or uncle

Just the way it rolls

dunno if it has been covered or not but we need to remember crocker was a pick 65 lol, expectations should be lowered. He will never be a super star, just need him to do a role when he gets his chance.

Last week was tough for him, intensity was finals like for his first game of the year, he struggled quite clearly, but now he gets another crack at it and I reckon will be fired up because he would obviously know he didn't have a great game.

Many are in that level.
Pretty much exactly word for word how Maxwell was described early.
Maxwell worked his arse off to overcome...
Hopefully Crocker can too.
For now he is depth, which we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back