AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton šŸ„ˆ

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

At what point after 5 years and 60 games do we cut our losses with this bloke? Fumbles under pressure and plays like he's made of glass, even though he could easily kick my arse. His i50 disposal is fantastic but he never finds himself in positions where he can capitalise on it.

Do you reckon he looked like he was close to turning the corner because far out he must have been bloody close last year?

This year has been a disappointing year for him and I don't think anyone can really argue against that.
Not really. I said last year he was nowhere near getting enough touches to be a mid.

If he'd turned the corner his numbers would've been much higher.

Not really. I said last year he was nowhere near getting enough touches to be a mid.

If he'd turned the corner his numbers would've been much higher.
It wasn't just the number of disposals, it was the quality of his skills and the way he was finding the ball and his delivery into the forward line etc. He looked more assured and at times his delivery to our forwards was sublime. He certainly looked a whole lot more comfortable than he does now. I'm definitely in the "thought he was turning the corner crew". Interestingly, I just compared his years and they are very similar statistically with only his his tackles being down (but significantly down). I certainly agree with you that he is not good enough at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's the thing with Langford....he does something like his pack mark in the 1st quarter that makes you think this could be his breakout game.
He then proceeds to fumble , get caught , go missing and make poor decisions for the entire game.
We all want him to succeed but as has been previously stated he's had more than enough time now.
One thing in his defence is he is NOT a midfielder, stop trying to turn him into Jobe, he does not have the physicality to be that inside mid or the tank.
I would play him in the role that Laverde was playing deep forward where he can utilise the only things he has going for him which is his overhead marking and kicking for goal ?.

Mate he played in the midfield at best and I mean at best 15 minutes. Have a look. Was in the fwd line and was ignored and ignored as was Tippa by pathetic long floating balls. Langers still had the 4th most contested possessions, so what where the other mids doing including DClarke who had 2 contested and awful disposal. Zaka no impact Shiel looks great running and bouncing for what benefit.

Mate he played in the midfield at best and I mean at best 15 minutes. Have a look. Was in the fwd line and was ignored and ignored as was Tippa by pathetic long floating balls. Langers still had the 4th most contested possessions, so what where the other mids doing including DClarke who had 2 contested and awful disposal. Zaka no impact Shiel looks great running and bouncing for what benefit.
He certainly wasn't alone, but the others have some credit. He hasn't showed any sort of consistency to be competitive at the top level. He fumbles under even the tiniest bit of pressure (sometimes even under no pressure), goes to ground easily, turns the ball over, drops marks, is pushed out of contests too easily and doesn't stick tackles. He really needs a long spell in the twos to get some hunger and competitiveness in his game.

Otherwise, he won't make it as an AFL player.

We definitely should be putting games into other kids ahead of Langford. His effort when defensively chasing is downright embarrassing. Often we have players come from behind and overtake him within the space of about 10 metres, even if they are like 5 metres behind him.

I'd put him back to VFL and tell him he needs to prove over the next few weeks that he can tackle and scrap and chase like a madman. Until he does, I wouldn't bring him back to the seniors.

I'd put him back to VFL and tell him he needs to prove over the next few weeks that he can tackle and scrap and chase like a madman. Until he does, I wouldn't bring him back to the seniors.

This is probably the kind of philosophy that Richmond tell their players you can have all the skill in the world but if you don't tackle,scrap,chase like a mad man they will pick some one else who will.

Last edited:
This is probably the kind of philosophy that Richmond tell their players you can have all the skill in the world but if you don't tackle,scrap,chase like a mad man they will pick some one else who will.
Plus they have Dustin Martin.

Back