Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I also think we'll be a lot better for that hitout played in a finals like atmosphere. Some of our guys seemed to struggle a little with the mental pressure stakes particularly early with lots of fumbles some fairly woeful disposal and hesitancy when going forward. The guys in the backline were excellent from the beginning. Adams was like a rock early ,Harris likewise ,Dizzy the usual ,Rich the usual , and Witherden didn't make one blue all day.

A lot has been written about our attack and the options we have ,but the above is the basis of our team right there . If they hold strong then we're hard to beat against anyone . How many times did the Cats get the breakaway only to be thwarted on the last line . Just a rock solid defence . Bar a few stray kicks . Dizzy's last kick in straight to Dangerfield had me hyperventilating. We could have made a better contest there
in reference to Dizzy's kick in.
We were set up a little wider , was a bad decision for Dizzy to go probably 20m inside instead of the usual boundary, but that was the game , it was intense with little time on the ball, or even if you had time it was still like a pressure decision to make , we will be better for it.

As has been said, Marcus Adams was brilliant yesterday and he was ably supported by Andrews and Gardiner, but I think it is worth pointing out how much Alex Witherden has improved and what it means for our team. His decision making and commitment in physical contests have been fantastic since the bye and while he may fly under the radar at times, he is a key contributor to our side’s success. Everyone will always remember McCarthy’s screamer and goal when they reflect on the game yesterday, but I liked the fact that it was Witherden who sent the ball inside 50 and he didn’t just blaze away, he deliberately gave the ball plenty of air and put it perfectly in the ‘hot spot.’ Loving your work Alex Witherden.
Agreed - also a big call out to Noah Answerth on his game yesterday as well. Hard to believe he is a first year player, playing with such aggression and poise under pressure.

Agreed - also a big call out to Noah Answerth on his game yesterday as well. Hard to believe he is a first year player, playing with such aggression and poise under pressure.
Yes! Answerth has been brilliant!

There will always be a lot of older league supporters who will bag out AFL every chance they get but I suspect more and more will convert to AFL.

I feel lucky in that I am a fan of both the Lions and Broncos. The whinging about umpiring in AFL can at times be legit but at least they usually try to appear to be unbiased and competent.

Everything the NRL does is incompetent, backward and most frustratingly, inconsistent.

This is starting to turn fans away from the game. I think the Lions got more to a home game this weekend than the Broncos did, that tells you a LOT.

This team is not only winning, they are playing a very hard, attractive style that suits league fans a lot.

How many do the Broncos usually get when they are travelling well?

Came across this on YouTube earlier; hadn't seen this particular video I don't think:

Watching that reminded me how much I loved watching Brent Moloney in those two years he had at the club and how invaluable he was as an older statesman of our team when we were really crying out for a mature body. Shame his second season was wrecked by injury which ultimately caused him to retire.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A difference of opinion on a Lions star

"Did I misread that, was he the difference?" Yes, Chris Scott, Charlie Cameron was just that. With five of his team's 10 goals, including two in a dramatic final quarter, Cameron continued an extraordinary season.

That the Cats coach failed in his post-match conference to realise his team lost this game because it failed to adequately quell Cameron's impact was either a strange and unusual misreading of the match, or misplaced arrogance.

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from Round 22
3 LAUNCH OF THE LIONS
Let’s ride the wave, Brisbane coach Chris Fagan said last week.

The Lions are being swept up in a wave of emotion, not unlike the Bulldogs in 2016 and Richmond in 2017.

Riding the wave is Fagan. He choked up when interviewed by Fox Footy’s Cameron Mooney after the match. He spoke of ticker, pride, finals pressure, toughness and of delivering a brave effort against Geelong in the final quarter.

“I love them,’’ he said of his players. “To come from where they’ve come from …’’ He was then choked for words as he beat his fist against his heart.

Everyone is in awe of Fagan, the middle-aged maestro who has won the admiration of all footy folk.

Absolute scenes in Brisbane. Picture: Getty Images

4 ROAR TALENT
The Lions are tough. They play football that will stand up in September. This was finals-like pressure — Brisbane was at 201 on the pressure index and Geelong at 191. And when the whips were cracking in the final quarter, Brisbane had the whip in hand.

In the final quarter the Lions won the contested possession count 55-37, including winning post-clearance ground balls 30-14, and dominated the ruck.

Those doubting Hugh McCluggage for the All-Australian side should watch a replay of this game.

Also watch Charlie Cameron’s five goals, Stef Martin’s ruckwork, the tenacity of Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons and Mitch Robinson, and Marcus Adams’s intercept marking. Neale, McCluggage and Lyons combined for 31 disposals and 22 contested possessions in the final quarter alone. They’re good.

DISLIKES

7 COME ON, COACH
It wasn’t Chris Scott’s most accurate summary when asked whether Brisbane’s Charlie Cameron was the difference.

“I thought he was good late, he kicked a couple of goals … I don’t think he had a huge influence on the game. That’s my initial reaction. I think he took his chances when they were presented.”

Did I mishear? Cameron kicked five of his team’s 10 goals and his eight score involvements were the third most on the ground behind Patrick Dangerfield and Jarryd Lyons — and his team won by a point. Fagan certainly thought he was the difference.

“Five goals is the new 10 in football,’’ he told 3AW yesterday. “I don’t know why he (Scott) said that. I’d be tearing my hair out if some small forward did that to us. I did have a chuckle.’’

Scott should be well aware of Cameron’s capabilities — he kicked five goals against the Cats in the 2017 prelim final.

8 SCOTT HAS BIGGER ISSUES
Brisbane’s Stef Martin was influential on Saturday — two of his taps resulted in goals to a running Dayne Zorko and Neale.

So, a week out from finals, the Scott still has a ruck problem. He has used five different ruckmen this year — Rhys Stanley, Zac Smith, Mark Blicavs, Ryan Abbott and Darcy Fort.

On Saturday it was Martin v Bicavs/Esava Ratugolea. The Cats lost the hit-outs to advantage count 20-7 and were outscored from stoppages 48-38.

It’s not a heavy defeat in scoring, but in a one-point game, it was an area of influence. Martin was the third-highest ranked player in the final quarter with five disposals and seven hit-outs to advantage.

Will the Cats persevere with Blicavs or go back to Stanley? Midfielder Mitch Duncan told Channel 7 yesterday he believed Blicavs was best suited as a defender. A huge decision is looming.

9 IT WAS TOUGH, BUT WAS IT GREAT?
The intense pressure and the ability of Geelong and Brisbane to shut down the aggressive switch or corridor play meant this game was largely played down the line, which then presented a whole new level of problem.

The Lions kicked the ball out on the full 11 times, the equal-most of any team this year. Overall, the 15 for the match was the second-most this year.

The record by a team in a match is 13 by the Bulldogs in 1999.

Watching the replay, I can't believe how good our back six were. Answorth is a legitimate star defender in the making and Adams could be sworn in as an elite top ten defender before the year is out.

That was a special game. We survived an incredible amount of pressure that we're not used to and still managed to outwork a very good and experienced Geelong outfit.

How far can we go? Who knows. All I know is this is one incredibly exciting, elating and proud time to be a fan!

I've said it before, and allow me to say it again. Those who argue against the Rayner's and McStay's need to learn footy.
McStay is a critical part of our forward pressure. He very rarely gets beaten. And his up-the-ground efforts are elite.
Rayner was very under-utilised in this game, but he was always there. His job was to be tbe centre option and he kept presenting, we just barely took it because we were crazy defensive and always pushing down the line. But the times we did? He didn't let us down.

I've said it before, and allow me to say it again. Those who argue against the Rayner's and McStay's need to learn footy.
McStay is a critical part of our forward pressure. He very rarely gets beaten. And his up-the-ground efforts are elite.
Rayner was very under-utilised in this game, but he was always there. His job was to be tbe centre option and he kept presenting, we just barely took it because we were crazy defensive and always pushing down the line. But the times we did? He didn't let us down.

His 1 kick was sublime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back