Preview 2019 Semi Final v West Coast

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Collingwood had the first 11, so that means we led the count 50-32 from there.

Geez.

An interesting discrepancy is we won centre clearances 11-4 but lost stoppage clearances 28-34.

Not sure how we won inside 50s so convincingly when we were only +1 for overall clearances and -60 for disposals, -50 for marks. By those stats it seems like Collingwood played possession footy, but watching on the night didn’t give that impression.

It's not about the weather anymore, it's to do with crowd safety - restrictions started being put in place after a couple of incidents in Melbourne with vehicles being used as weapons.

A key reason was to minimise the chance of that happening at a large scale event

From last year:
Cars will be blocked from parking at major sporting events at the MCG in an effort to strengthen security against vehicular terror attacks.
Yarra Park will be closed for marquee matches

full story - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...or-major-sporting-events-20180314-p4z493.html
FFS. Over-reaction much? I mean, couldn't you make that argument at any event? Taylor Swift, Metallica, Pink concerts etc.

Just makes it even more insane when they go 'where are all the Geelong fans?' They're at home, because you won't give them anywhere to park. You also won't give them their game at a real home ground and you won't even cater to them by putting the game on, on a day (Saturday) that they can actually get to the game. It's become a f*cking joke now.

It's not about the weather anymore, it's to do with crowd safety - restrictions started being put in place after a couple of incidents in Melbourne with vehicles being used as weapons.

A key reason was to minimise the chance of that happening at a large scale event

From last year:
Cars will be blocked from parking at major sporting events at the MCG in an effort to strengthen security against vehicular terror attacks.
Yarra Park will be closed for marquee matches

full story - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...or-major-sporting-events-20180314-p4z493.html

Is the same on GF day?

Cars as a weapon.. yes I guess it could make a mess.

FFS. Over-reaction much? I mean, couldn't you make that argument at any event? Taylor Swift, Metallica, Pink concerts etc.

Just makes it even more insane when they go 'where are all the Geelong fans?' They're at home, because you won't give them anywhere to park. You also won't give them their game at a real home ground and you won't even cater to them by putting the game on, on a day (Saturday) that they can actually get to the game. It's become a f*cking joke now.

Our public transport has been devoid of improvement for decades.. meanwhile we have reduced tarrifs to the point that families have 2 to 3 cars a household.. the roads are flooded.. now they try to improve it all .. car park or no car park... its a mess now. Its ironic when I hear the Melb media complain about the time it takes to travel back to melb...

The need a speed train to Rich station or something like that.. the current train cant even have more than 6 carriages. Its now just a huge mess.

Is the same on GF day?

Cars as a weapon.. yes I guess it could make a mess.
Yep - can't remember the last time they had the car park fully opened.

At a previous job I used to arrange for car access to the concourse for a couple of games - that was before these added restrictions and there was a lot of restrictions around that. Not sure if we would be lucky enough to do that now.

A sad state of the world we live in when these become concerns

Yep - can't remember the last time they had the car park fully opened.

At a previous job I used to arrange for car access to the concourse for a couple of games - that was before these added restrictions and there was a lot of restrictions around that. Not sure if we would be lucky enough to do that now.

A sad state of the world we live in when these become concerns

I loved the BBQ's on GF day ... just another reason that leaks the experience for me...

I wouldn't describe myself as 'wishy washy'........ But someone who's wavering in their belief and rapidly losing faith in Scott's ability to take us to a GF. I think that's fair enough?

And as to speculation about Stanley's confidence..... Well, you're right, it's just that. But it's also not a string leap of faith to believe his confidence is shaken..... Is it??

And as for a bet both ways on winning or not, I'd suggest that's the result of wavering confidence, rather than a total loss of it. Yet.

This is the story of life mate, there are some perfect moments and mostly, it's a grind. Win or lose the sun comes up the next day! Don't worry so much about it. It'll be a good game.

What a bone-headed post.

Maybe, just maybe, is it instead possible that some of us have stuck to our defence of Scott for the last 7 years, and that this Stanley debacle was the last straw? That the lies and the arrogance from the club, in one of our most important games, took centre stage over the actual game? I excused his decision to drop Menzel in 2017 (I was rightly pi**ed at the time), only because he was brought back in and played like crap against the Crows (his decision to burn Selwood in the 3rd when we were on a roll, and shoot from 55, reeked of a 'me first' player). This Stanley decision, IMO, was inexcusable.

Some people take a while to reach certain conclusions (I've defended him because we have made finals with a transitioning list; something that a lot of other clubs could only dream of). Just because they don't think the same from the beginning, doesn't make them 'wishy-washy', just makes them more willing to see how things play out before making a judgement call.

I personally haven't been bothered by certain losses, when I've understood why we've lost. But losing after a bye has always come with the same vitriol from me, as has losing to bottom end teams that we approach with smug arrogance - and then lose to. I've always said that it's how we lose not when we lose that bothers me the most. If we had of been competitive all game and still gone down to Collingwood, then I would be more than positive about this week. We weren't and now I'm not.

My partner also defended Scott, and has reached the same conclusion as me this week. We both wanted him gone last year, but he then signed on to 2022 the week before our finals match against the Demons. I didn't think we'd make the 8 this year, or if we did, that we'd just scrape in. To then see our focus on youth, aggression in the front half and recruitment/drafting of pace and ruggedness, was a surprise to say the least. To then also see us win 10 out of our first 11 games, when I thought we would 6-5 at best, was incredible. To see us revert back to certain old patterns like last year, and lose the aforementioned focus, alongside this whole Stanley thing, is what brought me to the 'sack Scott' position many others have been in for years. I suspect others would be in a similar boat.

To change your opinion based on evidence doesn't make you 'wishy-washy', it makes you reasoned and considered. Once the evidence and the argument then stacks up against your own opinion, then you have no choice but to accept it. It's not your place to condemn others for this, when they have tried to see the positive in a negative situation, and have now run out of positives to see.
Chin up mate, we're all in it together. Now's not the time to waiver.

Last edited:
I just call it how I see it and have seen it for a long time. I go into every game hoping that we change things up and start doing the basics right (I was hopeful after our strong start this year but the longer the season went on the more it looked like Scott had killed any attacking flair and natural instincts of our new recruit. Scott reverted to his modus operandi of slow defensive football when things got tough instead of taking a risk and letting players use their natural ability.
I dont disagree, you're observation is correct. But I still enjoy watching the team play, whatever style they implement.

Just heard this stat...

we have won ... 1 game in 12 weeks away from GMHBA ... something that should not have been said when we had the fixture we had..
Only two of them were at the MCG and none of them were vs West Coast though ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn’t mean a thing, they both tipped us last week. I’m not saying we’ll win but they are both s**t tippers

That can only be a good thing that they're backing the Eagles then. ;)

Time for everyone to dry their eyes, wipe away their tears, stop expecting the sky to fall down and start focusing on this match.

This is a good breakdown of WC's major strength and our major strength.

Their strength (intercept marking) is our weakness (letting other teams intercept mark), however, if the ball is brought to ground, it plays into our strength (winning the ground ball inside 50 - which is supposedly the best that Champion Data have ever seen).

It puts a few things into context. The slow play kick down the line. The fact that Sav and Hawkins dont appear to mark it often, but create a contest.

Focusing on what we do well, if Hawk or Sav mark it, that's a bonus. If they create a contest, it is more than likely a win for us.

If we are off our game, pressured and kick poorly - so that it isn't actually even a genuine contest (i.e. why we allowed Howe to dominate), then we're in a world of hurt.

I would almost argue that this is the weak to scrub kicks into our forward line and let our small forwards do the work (something that Richmond and Hawthorn have done to us in the past).

Last edited:
Do we know if Guthrie is right to go this week?

Will almost certainly play parsons if he’s not.

Presumably Tuohy goes to Duncan's wing and Guthrie comes in if available.
Stanley has to play IMHO so does he come in for Rohan ( if he's not 100% FFS don't play him ) or do we drop a defender ( Kolo?) or a mid ( Menegola or Narkle - probably not). Going to be interesting.
If this was a H&A game I'd play Kreuger in Rohan's place but as it's a final not sure that will happen , although with Rohan getting 3 possies last week what have we got to lose? If Kreuger understands our forward structure and hasn't been on the juice I wouldn't be against it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back