Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very strong chance we will be trading both our 2019 and 2020 first round picks this trade period. We'll be able to wrangle a second back in one of those deals.

Trading our future first for a couple of second rounders back is palatable a la West Coast/Gold Coast 2017 or Brisbane/Gold Coast 2018.

That ones a strong possibility I reckon.

So how do we land Papley AND Martin? Where/how do we get the picks? I want both, not interested in choosing. What are some realistic scenarios?

Pick 8 should land Papley.
Future 2nd and Casboult for Martin.
Butler and Betts for chips.

Future 1st on the table for an experienced quality midfielder.

Hmmm. A good counterpoint. I'd be ok with missing out on Butler if it means we get Papley and Martin. If your valuation of Papley + Sydney's 2019 second for Pick 8 + 2020 second rounder is closest to the pin, then we may have to add a sweetener or potentially trade with another club.

Papley I feel is the easiest trade on paper. Pick 8 is fairly straightforward. Martin presents as a bit problematic. Pick 8 is too high, and pick 39 this year is too low and we have nothing in between. Future second is unlikely for reasons previously stated. Future first perhaps? That seems too unsavoury for SOS to swallow. Getting pick 21 from the Crows would be bang on the money but that'll cost a player. With Sauce supposedly out the door could Phillips be involved? Unlikely as they have a decent ruck stashed in their cupboards.

Ive no doubt SOS and the team are across everything and are a high chance when/if they nominate us. Im just trying to peak behind the curtain to see how SOS pulls the rabbit out of the hat.

Papley for #8 if it helps Sydney get Daniher.
They need Daniher for more than just the player alone.
Papley is hard to cover, but Hayward & Florent are there for them.

Martin? I agree that a future second on its own doesn't amount to much for GC, so what would they want?
How else could we help them out without compromising the future first? I think it may have to be by way of a player.
Just don;t see the need for GC accumulating future second rounders and/or current third rounders on their own, unless points become paramount for them.
Gold Coast are going into this trade period with picks #1 and pick #14 along with the real possibility of being given the pick #2 PP (pick #1) What Gold Coast don't need is more kids. Maybe we have to manufacture a three way to get Martin done.

Butler is a third rounder. If e really do want him, that will be an easy deal to get up.

EDIT: What Red Bull just said in not so many words :)

Getting bloody excited for this trade period.

Sounds like we are seriously going to address our small forward needs.

Gone will be the days of expecting Gibbons, De Luca, Polson etc try to play that role.

Papley- A grade small forward who can play mid field minutes.

Betts - probably the GOAT small forward. Give us a dozen good games this year would be aweome.

Butler- Think he still has heaps of upside. Betts will only give us 1 or 2 years so good to have a replacement good to go.

Martin- High half forward/ wing. Who can push forward and kick goals.

With Cuners back on the park too next year, we are finally going to look dangerous going forward.

Another preseason into our young mids. And a full pre season drilling Teagues game plan. Already we have seen under Teague we spend so much more time in our forward half.

With dangerous small forwards who can apply pressure I think we will see our avearge score go through the roof next year.

Exciting times ahead.
3 smalls and 3 talls - you can see the plan unfolding
When they are all on the park, we'll be a scary proposition for most teams
Agile talls too

Martin deal will get done first imo.....

Think the #8 pick (+ whatever else) will get used here in some permutation and get us back GC's pick 17 + change.

17 on Papley. Perhaps with a third rounder coming back.

Does not surprise me, Cameron wouldn’t be close to a game with us unless Phillips and Casboult left and Krueger and TDK were injured.
I keep hearing about this Krueger fellow for over a decade now, but never seen him actually play. I know rucks take time to develop but I think 10 years is long enough.

Cannot see Marchbank being traded as just heard Cripps say tonight he’s the one player he expects to improve the most next year

In years gone by the players that were traded out WERE the ones that improved the most the next year! :mad:

Very different under SOS, thankfully :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Future second rounder is likely to be pick 30-40 factoring in father/sons, academies, and our on field improvement. Also already being rumoured to be an exceptionally weak draft. Cant see that getting it done.

Even if we split pick 8 into 2 x late first rounders?

I'm lying in a hammock on a Thai island (made it to Koh Pha, Koh Phi), and there's an afterparty just kicked off down the other end of the beach. I can hear the soft beat of the music carried this way on the breeze, and these dudes are dancing completely in time with the beat. Freaky!

tenor-26.gif

Seems pretty obvious that Gibbons is being judged for the path he had to take to make the big league and vice versa for other young players.. was a very impressive first season. Easily ahead of Fisher, for instance, on the back of 2019 and looking towards 2020.

I think a major flaw in SPP’s game has been overlooked - aside from his kicking and off-field flaws, he has very little in the way of footy ‘smarts’. Not many players make it these days without it

I think we lack something he has...an old fashion bit of campaigner.

We have a lot of nice players, he adds something different.

Having said that, I wouldn't be giving much for him. Not sure how we would get a deal done.

Trading our future first for a couple of second rounders back is palatable a la West Coast/Gold Coast 2017 or Brisbane/Gold Coast 2018.

That ones a strong possibility I reckon.

Yep.

Otherwise I predict our 2020 first will be going to Adelaide.

Martin deal will get done first imo.....

Think the #8 pick (+ whatever else) will get used here in some permutation and get us back GC's pick 17 + change.

17 on Papley. Perhaps with a third rounder coming back.

Might be on the money if he was out of contract. The reality is that if we want him, we'll have to pay overs.

Martin will be our value trade this year.

Agree with this, but we'll likely get a better second or upgrade our 2020 to get Gold Coast over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back