Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie Betts will add membership numbers, more bums on seats and many goals too. His mentoring and leadership in the forward line will be inestimable.
It’s a good feel story and the club needs all the positive healing it can get.
Why do people keep making statements such as this with any certainty? I understand he is a favourite of many
here and that the romance in the situation makes people want him back first and foremost.

I don't know one Carlton member or supporter who stopped supporting the club after Eddie's departure even with how disappointed we were in him going. I can't see thousands of extra members signing up just because Eddie is playing for us.

I understand the romantic notion of wanting him back but please don't dress it up as anything else.

Any spike in membership as with the one we saw this year will be on the back of the quality of young players that we have assembled to give us hope for future success. it won't be on the back of Eddie returning.

I don't really think we need Eddie back, I think it runs contrary to everything we have done with our rebuild over the past few years but in the likely event that the club does secure his services, I will support him 100% because he will be one of ours again.

Not Carlton related, but how much is Jack Steven worth?

I keep seeing the suggestion that Geelong won't have to pay much at all for him?

I guess its relevant to what we offer for Betts?
30 in march, having some issues as well.. I really don't think Geelong would need to give up much? maybe their 2nd pick swap with a later pick?

If we could swap 8 for 11 and 18 that would pretty much solve our issues I’d expect. That would leave next years first for a genuine midfielder and a late pick for Eddie.. come on sos make it happen

I'm sure we'd need to add another pick to 8 in that deal. The Giants have done lopsided trades to get into the top 2, but not for pick 8.

Wines aside, surely Brad Crouch must be thinking hard about coming home...?

Still like Ellis-Yolmen too.

Betts, BC and CEY as a package?

If we ended up with Martin, Betts, Papley, one other good or great mid and a big State league ruck, I'd be stoked.

Crouch wants a 5 year deal with a considerable pay rise and recent reports suggest the Crows will give it to him anyway.

Few years ago, Giants did a few deals like this to get up to #2 and snare Taranto. They did back to back deals trading up for their man despite giving up points and perceived value. Wouldn't see them complaining now though.

So if they think Pick 8 will then somehow get them to a pick above Green, we're a chance.

That's a fair point - Melbourne may want a top 10 pick included in any deal for Pick 3.

So if that was the case...

GWS get Band 2 compo for Tomlinson (Pick 20)
GWS trade Picks 12 and 20 to Carlton for Picks 9 and 41.
GWS trades picks 9 and 16 to Melbourne for Picks 3 and 38.

GWS get a pick ahead of a bid for Green, and only need to manufacture another late second to have enough draft points to match a bid on Green as early as Pick 4.

12 and 20 get Papley and Martin just about done without touching our future picks. Might need to give Sydney a favourable pick swap deeper in the draft to satisfy them.

I'm sure we'd need to add another pick to 8 in that deal. The Giants have done lopsided trades to get into the top 2, but not for pick 8.

What else could we throw in? We don’t have a 2nd and 39 would probably be to high

I’m sorry I call BS, you don’t need to liquidate assets if you want to move back to Melbourne, you don’t need to sell anything and an agent would be stupid to say to tenants, oh by the way, this is Eddie Betts house, he’s liquidating he’s assets.

It doesn’t make sense and it’s unproffesional.

Sorry but I don’t buy it, I do however believe he’s coming.

Must be nice to be able to afford to buy a nice family home in Melbourne, without clearing any assets.
I'd suggest that just because you're able to do it, most people wouldn't be. Selling an investment property in order to purchase a home makes perfect sense.

Why do people keep making statements such as this with any certainty? I understand he is a favourite of many
here and that the romance in the situation makes people want him back first and foremost.

I don't know one Carlton member or supporter who stopped supporting the club after Eddie's departure even with how disappointed we were in him going. I can't see thousands of extra members signing up just because Eddie is playing for us.

I understand the romantic notion of wanting him back but please don't dress it up as anything else.

Any spike in membership as with the one we saw this year will be on the back of the quality of young players that we have assembled to give us hope for future success. it won't be on the back of Eddie returning.

I don't really think we need Eddie back, I think it runs contrary to everything we have done with our rebuild over the past few years but in the likely event that the club does secure his services, I will support him 100% because he will be one of ours again.

Agree with this post from start to finish. Excellently put.

I absolutely can. Maybe not by your typical Bigfooty poster, but there are a lot more casual followers out there who will want to go to games more because of things like this - he is exciting to watch. I don't doubt it at all, especially if we have a good start to the year.

30 in march, having some issues as well.. I really don't think Geelong would need to give up much? maybe their 2nd pick swap with a later pick?

McClure was suggesting as high as 67, i think Morris said either 34 or 52, though you'd imagine the latter.

So perhaps only 52, unless they were to get something in the 40s, with 68 coming back then?

Wines aside, surely Brad Crouch must be thinking hard about coming home...?

Still like Ellis-Yolmen too.

Betts, BC and CEY as a package?

If we ended up with Martin, Betts, Papley, one other good or great mid and a big State league ruck, I'd be stoked.

Cam E-Y Is built like superman. Crippa and him in the middle could do physically a lot of damage to opposition midfielders.

As I have said Willy in the VFL GF this week have a good ruckman and the Sandover medallist in WA was a ruckman also.

Looks more and more like these are the 5 players we are going to pick up. Martin, Betts, Papley and a mid. Ruckman may be a rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a fair point - Melbourne may want a top 10 pick included in any deal for Pick 3.

So if that was the case...

GWS get Band 2 compo for Tomlinson (Pick 20)
GWS trade Picks 12 and 20 to Carlton for Picks 9 and 41.
GWS trades picks 9 and 16 to Melbourne for Picks 3 and 38.

GWS get a pick ahead of a bid for Green, and only need to manufacture another late second to have enough draft points to match a bid on Green as early as Pick 4.

12 and 20 get Papley and Martin just about done without touching our future picks. Might need to give Sydney a favourable pick swap deeper in the draft to satisfy them.
Pretty consistent with what they've done in the past (GWS) and quite foreseeable. Would be a great outcome for us.

Agree with this post from start to finish. Excellently put.

I dunno - I think he's a bums-on-seats player. It's not just about his statistical output, or his skills, it's his engagement with the crowd and innate ability to bring the fans into the game. He creates atmosphere. There aren't many players that have fans on their feet before they've even kicked the ball, but he's one of them.

Signing Eddie doesn't necessarily have 5000 extra people signing up in the preseason, but I wouldn't be surprised if the excitement of sitting on level 1, somewhere inside the forward 50, and maybe seeing some Eddie Betts magic up close, was a genuinely attractive prospect for casual fans who couldn't get excited about watching us lose for 4 years.

Maybe it's just those casual fans who get along to a few games early and then sign up for a 3-game membership when the love of the game is rekindled.

For minimal outlay, I just see so many benefits to bringing Eddie home. Fills an area of need, popular teammate, knows Teague's methods, makes the game exciting, assists in indigenous player acquisition/retention, assists with developing other small forwards, naturally transitions to an off-field role. It's not about stats for me, it's about the whole package, and Eddie ticks a heap of boxes.

FWIW we've contacted GWS about a pick swap, they don't think a bid for green will come after 8 so it's unlikely it gets done.

Makes sense.

As Matty pointed out though, we may be able to set ourselves up as a stepping stone for them if one of the higher placed clubs wants a top 10 pick involved in any swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back