Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worry about our forward line speed, and that’s before we throw another tall in with Bruce.

I think two of dale, Dickson, Lloyd and Wallis can play. So Wallis is a tough one.

That electric small forward is still a missing link. How good were castagna and miers last night.

The other issue with going with 3 talls, is that it surely spells the end of beveridge playing a 5 man forward line (with the 6th rolling up to the midfield).

Can’t have a 5 man forward line with 3 talls (and then slower guys like Lloyd, Wallis, dale and Dickson filling the last 2 spots).
Getting Bruce doesn't mean we have to play 3 tall fwds. Either an underperforming Schache gets dropped and we play two big fwds. Or Naughton is shuffled back and we play two big fwds.

What I do take from the game last night is that we still lack a burst mid.

dusty, danger, prestia, Kelly and Edwards can all accelerate from stoppages and it just opens the game up.

Bonti, Macrae, Dunkley and to a lesser extent Lipinski, are all great, but none of them have leg speed.

Bailey smith is going to be that man for us, so we don’t need to bring one in, but I think we need to start getting him more centre bounces in 2020.

It also makes me worry about libba.
Can he do a Matt Boyd? Remember when Boydy was cooked coming toward the end of his career, too slow for the middle, but still hard as a cats head so we sent him to halfback and he became All-Aus talent again? Can see Libba being utilised similarly. He has a great leg and good game sense.

I also don’t see where Libba fits next year. The issue he has is that he’s pretty much next to useless unless he’s in the centre square as an inside mid and plenty have gone past him now.
You need to watch this year elimination again to see where he fits.
Needed him more than Trengove Dickson Wallis

Can he do a Matt Boyd? Remember when Boydy was cooked coming toward the end of his career, too slow for the middle, but still hard as a cats head so we sent him to halfback and he became All-Aus talent again? Can see Libba being utilised similarly. He has a great leg and good game sense.
Could work, I’d be nervous with both Libba and Daniel back there though.

I could see Wallis playing that role

I worry about our forward line speed, and that’s before we throw another tall in with Bruce.

I think two of dale, Dickson, Lloyd and Wallis can play. So Wallis is a tough one.

That electric small forward is still a missing link. How good were castagna and miers last night.

The other issue with going with 3 talls, is that it surely spells the end of beveridge playing a 5 man forward line (with the 6th rolling up to the midfield).

Can’t have a 5 man forward line with 3 talls (and then slower guys like Lloyd, Wallis, dale and Dickson filling the last 2 spots).

Only two of Naughton, Bruce and Schache will play and when they are all fit I'm sure you can guess which one is playing VFL.

dusty, danger, prestia, Kelly and Edwards can all accelerate from stoppages and it just opens the game up.

Bonti, Macrae, Dunkley and to a lesser extent Lipinski, are all great, but none of them have leg speed.

Bailey smith is going to be that man for us, so we don’t need to bring one in, but I think we need to start getting him more centre bounces in 2020.

Looking at Richmond alone they are really quick or long-striding players who cover the ground:

Baker
Short
Edwards
Martin
Ellis
Rioli
Bolton
Grimes can sprint too
Cotchin still has speed
Prestia

We've got JJ and Smith, and maybe Suckling....then daylight.

Maybe you could add a fully fit Lynch, or Bailey Dale, but that's stretching it. Dickson in bursts. La.Young looked pretty fast when playing. Bont has a high cruising speed. Croz shows flashes.

I think what makes us even more deficient in the area is the number of out and out slow players we have.

Wallis
Dunkley (although much improved)
Maclean
Cordy
Duryea
Daniel
Hunter
Lloyd
Macrae

You may not think all of think all of these guys are slow, and yes they all have other attributes that make them valuable, but none of them are going to run down Edwards, Rioli, or Bolton on the open field.

I'd like to see Dunkly do some sprint training. I've always thought he was slowish but I've seen him motor a few times this year. And he's obviously athletic a/f.

A high rated player better option that Keath to be honest way more long term and tbh with Keath was really disappointing in the second half of the year think he got injured against us before that couldn't say I saw him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at Richmond alone they are really quick or long-striding players who cover the ground:

Baker
Short
Edwards
Martin
Ellis
Rioli
Bolton
Grimes can sprint too
Cotchin still has speed
Prestia

Maybe you could add a fully fit Lynch, or Bailey Dale, but that's stretching it. Dickson in bursts. La.Young looked pretty fast when playing. Bont has a high cruising speed. Croz shows flashes.

I think what makes us even more deficient in the area is the number of out and out slow players we have.

Wallis
Maclean
Cordy
Duryea
Daniel
Hunter
Lloyd
Macrae

You may not think all of think all of these guys are slow, and yes they all have other attributes that make them valuable, but none of them are going to run down Edwards, Rioli, or Bolton on the open field.
Agree with the general proposition but Richards should really be added to the group of players who do have pace

Efficiency of ball movement is much more important than pure leg speed. People often confuse the two.

Agreed. Speed is more important ahead of the ball than through the midfield. For the ball carrier, speed is one way to buy yourself time and space. Then there is evasiveness, brute strength and perhaps the best skill of all - simply needing less time and space, lets call that smarts.

Of those 4, speed and strength are most situational. Evasiveness more generally useful. Smarts is useful every single time.

Last edited:
Honestly feel like the "leg speed" discussion comes from the most naive perception of the game imaginable. Richmond aren't beating everyone because their players run faster. I don't even think it's that much to do with personnel.

Gotta love their effort lol.

I'm a fan of Jarvis Pina from the WAFL, reckon he lasts to our later picks? Very skilled, fairly quick, very smart player, just really undersized. Also is more of a rebounding defender which isn't the biggest need, but he does seem to have some serious ability
Also a fan of the way Pina plays. Suited to playing half back, he is a ball magnet with elite ability to read the play and often is involved in the one two handball receive to get offensive chains started. Reminds me allot of Kade Simpson, seriously good player but not sure he is a list fit for us.

Baker
Short
Edwards
Martin
Ellis
Rioli
Bolton
Grimes can sprint too
Cotchin still has speed
Prestia

Wallis
Maclean
Cordy
Duryea
Daniel
Hunter
Lloyd
Macrae

We match up better than most vs Richmond. Recent results show that.
The key to beating Richmond is good tall forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back