Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see Dunkly do some sprint training. I've always thought he was slowish but I've seen him motor a few times this year. And he's obviously athletic a/f.
Remember that tackle in I think the Essendon game? I'm pretty sure it was Merrett he ran down to prevent him scoring. With closing speed like that, I'd love to see him try push it to the next level

Efficiency of ball movement is much more important than pure leg speed. People often confuse the two.
So often I see opposition fans confused when we say we want to add leg speed to our side. A lot of them see us as one of the quicker sides purely because of how quickly we move the ball around. Gives the illusion of speed, and helps to tire out the opposition players without too much extra effort

Remember that tackle in I think the Essendon game? I'm pretty sure it was Merrett he ran down to prevent him scoring. With closing speed like that, I'd love to see him try push it to the next level
He also did that against brayshaw in thethrowbacks round

Never thought too much about Bennell until now. I'm open to having a crack. Comes for nothing, could possibly become a mentor for our future indigenous recruits ( if he has in fact pulled his finger out ) seeing he's experienced first hand what can happen in your career if you don't make good choices and something we all forget is he's an out and out gun. He would be our classiest outside player by some margin.

Looking at Richmond alone they are really quick or long-striding players who cover the ground:

Baker
Short
Edwards
Martin
Ellis
Rioli
Bolton
Grimes can sprint too
Cotchin still has speed
Prestia

We've got JJ and Smith, and maybe Suckling....then daylight.

Maybe you could add a fully fit Lynch, or Bailey Dale, but that's stretching it. Dickson in bursts. La.Young looked pretty fast when playing. Bont has a high cruising speed. Croz shows flashes.

I think what makes us even more deficient in the area is the number of out and out slow players we have.

Wallis
Dunkley (although much improved)
Maclean
Cordy
Duryea
Daniel
Hunter
Lloyd
Macrae

You may not think all of think all of these guys are slow, and yes they all have other attributes that make them valuable, but none of them are going to run down Edwards, Rioli, or Bolton on the open field.

Your forgetting one big issue. Tigers dont have a salary cap. In either AFL or AFLW. No other club not even the Swans at their best could rort the cap like the Tigers. 3rd Party deals are everywhere there. So its not a level playing ground to start

So often I see opposition fans confused when we say we want to add leg speed to our side. A lot of them see us as one of the quicker sides purely because of how quickly we move the ball around. Gives the illusion of speed, and helps to tire out the opposition players without too much extra effort

I don’t think the 3peat Hawks team were overly quick, but they destroyed teams with positioning & foot skills. There weren’t contests with multiple match ups, but plenty of space (positioning) for players to run into on leads (foot skills, hitting the targets).

Every team needs breakaway speed, such as Richards, JJ & what Bmith will bring over the years. But at the end of the day I can kick a ball 50m quicker than anyone will run it, I’d rather draft & recruit players that know what to do with the ball instead of being just fast over a certain distance

I was talking to my source a couple weeks ago about a small forward with pace and he said we already had that player - V2 !! He has been a rap for him ever since we drafted him last year.

You think he hasn’t tried before?
Tell me where this has worked before on 22 yo 5 years in the afl system?
Unless he is 120kg he won’t be getting faster.
He is as fast as he will ever be.
Rather than wishing for something we don’t have, embrace the very good player he is now.

I reckon Cripps has gained some pace this year and my Carlton supporting brother thinks the same. I have no idea if the stats back it up but he seems to have this burst speed from the pack that he hadn’t shown in the previous seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the legspeed discussion has got a bit away from the original point. As a few have said here any side can move the ball the length of the ground at great speed if they have sharp handball, support runners, quick decision makers and accurate delivery. Those runners don't have to be especially quick. In fact it's probably endurance that's more important in that situation because it's mostly about running hard and repeatedly making position for UPs.

What Fronk was talking about was the ability to burst clear of a pack, so that's more about leg speed over the first 5-10m and a willingness to take the game on. Plenty of players have good leg speed but don't use it to take the game on (e.g. Moz who mainly used it defensively). What also helps are clean hands, the ability to read the play well and a solid frame to help in shrugging off tacklers (eg Cooney, Dangerfield).

Richards and JJ often show how that half a yard of extra pace can allow them to evade the tackler and get a relatively unpressured disposal on the run. As we saw last night and many times through the season the 6-6-6 rule means the ability to burst clear at centre bounces can be deadly.

A great example of the opposite - being too slow (both legspeed and execution) - was how Tom Lynch was run down late in last night's game. He had just enough time and it should have been an easy deep entry or even a direct goal. Instead it was a turnover free kick.

FWIW I think Bont and Bailey Smith can do it. What makes Bont so good at it (despite not being super quick over 10m) is his sense of purpose. If he gets a yard clear you know he's going to make the most of it and drill it to advantage deep into the f50. Bailey might need to watch the maestro a bit more to realise what he's capable of himself.

Depending on how Richards develops he could become another if he gets some midfield time. He certainly has the zip, the agility and the kick.

I see the annual leg speed vs ball movement debate has finally started.

You just missed the bi-weekly Sam Power should be fired out of a cannon into the sun discussion...

How good would Moore and Elliot be 🤤 would happily give up this and next years 1st picks

I'd like to see Dunkly do some sprint training. I've always thought he was slowish but I've seen him motor a few times this year. And he's obviously athletic a/f.
Agree, I don’t think he’s as slow as you would be led to believe from reading this thread....many teams that have won the granny in the last 15 years have not been super quick - I.e Sydney, hawthorn, west coast - but what they do is play to their strengths. That’s the key to success, are you able to get the opposition team playing on your terms. That said I do wish a couple more of our guys were a little speedier....

Last edited:
A high rated player better option that Keath to be honest way more long term and tbh with Keath was really disappointing in the second half of the year think he got injured against us before that couldn't say I saw him
I’ve had a few and even I don’t understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back