Shattered, onto 2020. Where now?

Remove this Banner Ad

I commented on that during the game. I told my mate it reminded me of the primary school days when one or two kids could roost the pill forty metres down the ground and it took the average sized kids three kicks to get it back to where it came from. Noble, Phillips Mayne, Sidey, Wills, Moore and Cox would struggle to drill a goal from just outside the 50 metre arc. Mayne's shot that was touched on the line was from inside the arc. The Giants seem to have a number of thumping kicks. It's not a major concern but it can make a difference in a tight game. Tony Shaw couldn't kick more than 40 to 45 metres on a good day and he is a club legend. Did I just refute my own post?
Yep, all those guys you mention and can add Aish, Scharenberg and Langdon to the list as well. Moore and Cox both both should be able to easily score from outside 50m given their leverage and weight but both kick very straight-legged, depriving them of the power that comes from properly coiling up and then unloading through the ball.

I'd love for us to be more intent on moving the ball forward next year around stoppages, rather than this preplanned formulaic backwards handball. It often leads to a turnover due to overuse and if a team is on from a tackling perspective it only succeeds in putting guys under the hammer alot.

With the relaxed rules with ruckman and 6-6-6 rules, we really should have Brodie taking it out of the ruck and kicking it forward as something that should be utilised more regularly.

If we don't have cap space to do much, then I think we need to utilise guys better , while moving on guys who can't do it when heat is on. Move Treloar to a wing for Phillips, take him away from congestion where he is forced to be more of a link player to use his pace and running. Move Sidebottom to a half forward flank, where he can still run but he is more a goalside player. He has become a nothing player as a winger this year. He would replace JT.

Move Pendlebury around more, not just on all, but move him behind the ball and to the wing at times. Put Maynard and Crisp in the centre square more.

I'd love another cheap solid KPD defender so Moore could be deployed more as a weapon around the ground when required. Less worried about 2 lockdown KP defenders when we have alot of intercept midsize defenders in the squad.

Just some random thoughts going forward.

Really disappointed with this match, a poor 1st 3 quarters and left it too late. Hard week ahead.

Where to now? Who knows?

Let’s discuss it.

Being at the game, and its the first time l felt physically ill during a game. The first 3 quarters l could barely watch, and then to see the complete domination and fight in the last quarter, when l actually thought we were going to end up winning this game by a couple of goals as the GWS players were running on the spot, left me angry and so disappointed l couldn't even talk to anyone, and still can't! I wont watch anything to do with footy this week, and will take my son to watch a movie gf day.
I was so angry because of the question "why couldn't we have played like that in the 3rd quarter or 2nd? it just left a shallow, horrible, sickly feeling. The trip home last night from the G, was excruciating.
Where to from here, well we already say bye to Sacka and Wellsy, l think Dunn, Varcoe and Reid may follow. We will have our normal delistings, those will be interesting reading in the next week or so, and we then may see the moving on of players, maybe a Elliott, Scharenberg, WHE, Thomas to name a few. Then the club needs to sort out the Grundy situation as a priority, and give him 5 years at least, or find out from him now his intentions, and are they to return home to SA in 2021 no matter what the club can offer him here, if so sort out a trade this year for the great man.
As for the list requirements pace, a key forward and crumbing forward.

Last edited:

Last few minutes hrs days on this site for me ladies and gents..

Off to Tuscany and the Seychelles.. then New York.. working over at JP Morgan.

Been a pleasurable albeit interesting 4 yrs on here.. but I'm done re.
They have the internet overseas dude.

They have the internet overseas dude.

Far too intense for my liking.. can't say it hasn't been fun.. had some great times.. but I actually enjoyed my football a lot more without it. No disrespect to it.

I much prefer discussing my footy in a small group. To me.. it's football. I don't think it's right to be as intrusive as we are when it comes to the club/players. Nor do I feel it's right that club/players get involved in the media as much as they do.

For me.. it's a working week.. come home.. watch a bit of the footy and chill out.. it just doesn't feel that way any more.

All good re.

Far too intense for my liking.. can't say it hasn't been fun.. had some great times.. but I actually enjoyed my football a lot more without it. No disrespect to it.

I much prefer discussing my footy in a small group. To me.. it's football. I don't think it's right to be as intrusive as we are when it comes to the club. Nor do I feel it's right that players get involved with the media as much as they do.

For me.. it's a working week.. come home.. watch a bit of the footy and chill out.. it just doesn't feel that way any more.

All good re.
Fair enough, all the best.

Think if we dont win it next year we will start regressing, think its happening already. Pendles, Sidey and a few others past there prime. Not a great deal of young talent coming through due to trading away all our first and second round picks the last 3 or more years. Us and Geelong in the same boat list wise.

Think if we dont win it next year we will start regressing, think its happening already. Pendles, Sidey and a few others past there prime. Not a great deal of young talent coming through due to trading away all our first and second round picks the last 3 or more years. Us and Geelong in the same boat list wise.
We have plenty of young talent who will be together for at least 5 years

Mayne was absolutely instrumental in that comeback yesterday.

Thats the thing with f/a though - to get someone to cross the country you tend to overpay.

Bad luck yesterday fellas - one of the best finals comebacks you will ever see and i suspect its robbed us of an epic grand final for the ages.

Hopefully next year our two teams can do the rematch

Our window is shut so we won't be replaying last year, you guys however..............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our window is shut so we won't be replaying last year, you guys however..............
Dude - are you shitting me

Theres brisbane, richmond, yours/ours/gws in that order who have their windows wide open.

I remember you saying collingwood had zero chance of winning against us in perth this year - yet somehow you did.

If you guys get a decent run with injuries you are one of the top 3 teams in it - with a s**t run you are one of the top 4-5

Thats not a team thats out of it. You lost by under a goal yesterday and are the team out if the top 4 with the best chance of beating richmond.

Theres glass half empty - then theres smashing the glass, kicking the wine bottle over and throwing the car keys down the septic and whinging that youve got no piss to drink.....

Where to now?
Firstly straight to Jamie Elliott’s signature in a contract.
Just give him the years....we have Wells a 3yr deal at 32 with a broken body for FFS!

He’s clearly shown he was our most important forward the last 6 weeks and yesterday was the only player capable of marking cleanly and moving.

Dude - are you s**tting me

Theres brisbane, richmond, yours/ours/gws in that order who have their windows wide open.

I remember you saying collingwood had zero chance of winning against us in perth this year - yet somehow you did.

If you guys get a decent run with injuries you are one of the top 3 teams in it - with a s**t run you are one of the top 4-5

Thats not a team thats out of it. You lost by under a goal yesterday and are the team out if the top 4 with the best chance of beating richmond.

Theres glass half empty - then theres smashing the glass, kicking the wine bottle over and throwing the car keys down the septic and whinging that youve got no piss to drink.....
Well said. As you can see, there has been a fair amount of indulgent sookie la la posts going on.
The truth is we had a decent year and will be around the mark next year. With some luck we can definitely go all the way.

Stuff the Football Dept. spending we desperately need a ruck coach. There were times in the game where Grundy should have knocked the ball forward instead of at the feet of the mids where it becomes a 50/50.

Not a lot of young talent coming through? We have Stephenson, DeGoey, Moore, Maynard as proven young stars, we have Grundy, Crisp, Treloar, Adams, Langdon, Elliot as great players in their prime, we have good experience guns in Pendles, Sidebottom, Howe and potentially Beams.

Quaynor, Sier and Murphy have potential and role players like Mihocek, Thomas, Roughead are as a good a quality as any team has. Cox might have a big 2020.

It would be great if we could snag speed and class in the draft and look for some key position support, but people saying we just need to get rid of guys like Sidebottom have no idea.

Our list is as good as any in the comp.

It’s not shut at all. Don’t be so dramatic.

Dramatic? How about you take off those rose coloured glasses and actually view where we really are.

I'd very very surprised if Pendles can emulate this season again given his age. I'd be very surprised if Beams can get back to his best.

We've played above ourselves for the last two season on the back of tactical brilliance not talent, how long can that hold up? We need these two at minimum to be playing at potential to get anywhere near it given we rely on the system.

I could go on about other issues we have that points to us not getting back, continual soft tissue injuries is one.

Am I being dramatic? Slightly pessimistic maybe but light years away from your blind optimism.

Dramatic? How about you take off those rose coloured glasses and actually view where we really are.

I'd very very surprised if Pendles can emulate this season again given his age. I'd be very surprised if Beams can get back to his best.

We've played above ourselves for the last two season on the back of tactical brilliance not talent, how long can that hold up? We need these two at minimum to be playing at potential to get anywhere near it given we rely on the system.

I could go on about other issues we have that points to us not getting back, continual soft tissue injuries is one.

Am I being dramatic? Slightly pessimistic maybe but light years away from your blind optimism.
We have a tremendous core of young players who will see us contend next year. That’s a fact.

We have a tremendous core of young players who will see us contend next year. That’s a fact.

There’s no guarantees.
Nothing is a fact.

Whilst I do agree the list is in healthy enough shape to see us remain in contention to do so—-it will be for nothing if we do not get the signatures of all of Grundy, Elliott, Moore and JDG to longer term deals.

Dude - are you s**tting me

Think you're over stating a little there Kranky, I'm viewing this realistically.

We're a system team and light years behind in talent compared to those other lists you mentioned, to be honest I don't know how long it can hold up. It's unpredictability is now gone. Admittedly it is very difficult to defeat and no it does not rely on talent and that moots how much the opp knows the system, but the talent is the bonus you need to go all the way.

I doubt Pendles can re emulate this season again and to be honest we have more talent at the wrong end of the age spectrum, Moore, JDG and Stevo being the youngens but Moore is an injury issue.

Injury is another issue, year on year we have more injuries than most teams and sometime the most. It's unlikely you can go all the way when injuries are continuous - is that going to just turn around all of a sudden? When was the last time we excelled in this area?

Drafting and trading has not been our forte', I'd argue we've been really s*** in this area. Is that going to just turn around all of a sudden? When was the last time we excelled in this area?

And finally that little sprinkling of luck when you need it, for the first time since the gf draw have we had any real luck go our way this year - and yet we still blew it.

Nah, we've been playing above ourselves for the last two seasons on the back of tactical brilliance.

Am I being pessimistic? Maybe but it's hard to argue these points I've mentioned so it's hardly smashing the glass, kicking the bottle over or throwing the keys down the drain.

Think you're over stating a little there Kranky, I'm viewing this realistically.

We're a system team and light years behind in talent compared to those other lists you mentioned, to be honest I don't know how long it can hold up. It's unpredictability is now gone. Admittedly it is very difficult to defeat and no it does not rely on talent and that moots how much the opp knows the system, but the talent is the bonus you need to go all the way.

I doubt Pendles can re emulate this season again and to be honest we have more talent at the wrong end of the age spectrum, Moore, JDG and Stevo being the youngens but Moore is an injury issue.

Injury is another issue, year on year we have more injuries than most teams and sometime the most. It's unlikely you can go all the way when injuries are continuous - is that going to just turn around all of a sudden? When was the last time we excelled in this area?

Drafting and trading has not been our forte', I'd argue we've been really s*** in this area. Is that going to just turn around all of a sudden? When was the last time we excelled in this area?

And finally that little sprinkling of luck when you need it, for the first time since the gf draw have we had any real luck go our way this year - and yet we still blew it.

Nah, we've been playing above ourselves for the last two seasons on the back of tactical brilliance.

Am I being pessimistic? Maybe but it's hard to argue these points I've mentioned so it's hardly smashing the glass, kicking the bottle over or throwing the keys down the drain.
Freo fans would love to have your problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back