Game Day Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants - Grand Final - Sat 28 Sep, 2:30PM AEST, MCG

Tigers or Giants to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t it just be terrific for the long suffering loyal supporters of the giants franchise if they won a premiership? Couldn’t sell 1000 tickets to a home final 2 weeks ago, I hope the tigers beat them by about 30 goals.
The epitome of a franchise, a manufactured team who have had this appearance handed to them on a platter. Wouldn’t surprise me to to see them get a dream run from the maggots next week.
Very disappointed for the Maggies would have been a great grand final.
I just hope a lot of supporters from the other Clubs go to the game and support GWS to shut the noise out from the Richmond supporters🙄

Revisionist stuff here.

Sydney were minor premiers at 17-5 with a percentage of 151% in 2016. Richmond this year were 16-6 with a percentage of 113%.

The Dogs had to travel more than Sydney, too. Perth -> Melbourne -> Sydney -> Melbourne compared to Sydney -> Sydney -> Melbourne -> Melbourne.

Look, not saying that GWS aren't a real risk of copping the next 119 but you are severely underestimating what happened in 2016.

Take into account that Richmond achieved that with wretched injuries. Hence comparing win/loss record and percentage is difficult as they had a few games with literally half their best 22 out, fielding a VFL side.

If they didn't have so many players out in that first half of the season, they could have possibly gone the entire season without a loss. At a minimum they would have finished first on the ladder if they were healthier. Since round 13, they have not lost a game, and they have beaten Collingwood, Brisbane X2, GWS, West Coast, and Geelong. I can't go against a team that has had a clean sweep against every other team in the top 6 teams in the AFL, and all in the second half of the season.

Cameron will name Deledio as he has always said that the reward far outweighs the risk and he’s supposed to be just about right again, plus he just loves him. Same goes for Cogs, surely he plays after him signing on ignited the run. He kicked 4 in a WAFL GF as a 16yo so he just plays. At least I have a team to cheer for now
Lids isn’t playing. Did his calf again.

Best on paper means nothing. We have shown over the last 3 years we have the best team.

Most teams have a gap somewhere... a position on the ground undermanned. A coach with no back up plan. Players that want to leave, or duds coming in. (I pretty much just explained GWS). You have all the pieces lined up very strong. A good coach who knows how to win games. Not any off field issues with players or distracting tribunal stuff. Players are playing for the club and like being there. Players want to go there from other clubs (Lynch), and you have every position covered with talented players.

The arrogance of Richmond supporters gets to me sometimes, so without pandering to you too much.. if you win this week, you set yourselves as the best and most consistent side since that Hawthorn team that got the 3 straight.

You’re also factoring in the psychological component of bringing players into a grand final. Some players, even if fully fit, won’t have the mental ability to step into a Grand Final and perform to a reasonable standard.

Cogs might not be 100%, but won’t die wondering if he’s selected. Deledio has even more impetus to perform, if fit.

Cyril was touch and go to play in 2014 (?), but came in and played his role well.

It’d certainly be a huge boost for the Giants if they can get as many elite players back as possible.

I don't know about that...

I think back to Ben Reid in 2011. Comes in underdone and Hawkins tore him up.

I don't know about that...

I think back to Ben Reid in 2011. Comes in underdone and Hawkins tore him up.

Big difference between a key defender coming in and being relied on to stop a key forward and a midfielder coming in to replace a fringe flanker.

Coniglio wont have his confidence tested the way Reid did, and it’ll all be a matter of weighing up the output of someone like Lloyd in their current form vs projecting Coniglio’s impact given his absence and where he is at with his recovery.

Big difference between a key defender coming in and being relied on to stop a key forward and a midfielder coming in to replace a fringe flanker.

Coniglio wont have his confidence tested the way Reid did, and it’ll all be a matter of weighing up the output of someone like Lloyd in their current form vs projecting Coniglio’s impact given his absence and where he is at with his recovery.
I like Hill, but he looked a bit overawed yesterday. Cogs for him seems a no-brainer if they were going to play him forward. Wouldn't mind them play Cogs in the forward line either. Adds a whole new dimension to it and means they might be able to keep Williams in the midfield.

You hope...

No not hope but a matter of welfare . Major abdominal surgery is something not to underestimate. It’ll be interesting to see if any surgeon( etc ) has the guts to sign off on it . 10 days after surgery, I’m thinking no .
Stay salty , enjoy the Tigers , you know you wAnt to .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Take into account that Richmond achieved that with wretched injuries. Hence comparing win/loss record and percentage is difficult as they had a few games with literally half their best 22 out, fielding a VFL side.

If they didn't have so many players out in that first half of the season, they could have possibly gone the entire season without a loss. At a minimum they would have finished first on the ladder if they were healthier. Since round 13, they have not lost a game, and they have beaten Collingwood, Brisbane X2, GWS, West Coast, and Geelong. I can't go against a team that has had a clean sweep against every other team in the top 6 teams in the AFL, and all in the second half of the season.

I was in no way saying GWS are favourite.

I am just casting doubt on your conviction that they are due to get massacred on Saturday because apparently Richmond were dominant than Sydney in 2016 and because GWS' travel and match load is apparently heavier in the lead up compared to the Dogs in 2016.

I think Richmond will win - easily - and deserve to be hot favourites but GWS are showing something else in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Hill, but he looked a bit overawed yesterday. Cogs for him seems a no-brainer if they were going to play him forward. Wouldn't mind them play Cogs in the forward line either. Adds a whole new dimension to it and means they might be able to keep Williams in the midfield.

I’d say Hill makes way for Greene, then Lloyd comes out for Whitfield.

Then depending on how they want to structure up, one of Reid or Keefe for Cogs.They should have enough tall defenders with Davis, Corr, Taylor and Haynes, so I reckon Keefe will be the unlucky one.

Richmond didn’t even make the Grand Final last year, and haven’t won the grand final this year (yet?), so that’s an audacious claim.

Maybe win next week before you get a full head of steam about being the best team over the last three seasons.

But they already are the best team in the last 3 seasons even if they lose next week. 1 Premiership 1 Grand Final & 1 Prelim

They'd be close with GWS if we extended it to 4 seasons, who would have 1 premiership 2 prelims and 1 semi final vs Richmond with the above and 13th. You could argue a GWS premiership makes them the best team in the past 4 years.

Sometimes having easy matches leading into the PF and GF is not always the best thing. In fact IMO the harder they are the better you are primed for the battle that usually comes in playing in a GF. In this case GWS are more primed, but we shall see who comes out on top at the end of the day!
By half time they will be tired and Richmond will be full of running. I know what I would rather have, not two hard games in a row. I think everyone is underestimating Richmond now. Come Saturday GWS won’t know what hit them. Tigers have been there before and know what it takes to win a flag.

I said this in another thread but if Mumford plans on retiring at the end of the season I wonder if we will get the full Mumford as he seems like the sort who would tackle 300% harder when he knows even if he is suspended for 20 weeks it won’t matter.
I think if they retire and get a massive suspension like that they get fined really hard as well

Most teams have a gap somewhere... a position on the ground undermanned. A coach with no back up plan. Players that want to leave, or duds coming in. (I pretty much just explained GWS). You have all the pieces lined up very strong. A good coach who knows how to win games. Not any off field issues with players or distracting tribunal stuff. Players are playing for the club and like being there. Players want to go there from other clubs (Lynch), and you have every position covered with talented players.

The arrogance of Richmond supporters gets to me sometimes, so without pandering to you too much.. if you win this week, you set yourselves as the best and most consistent side since that Hawthorn team that got the 3 straight.

Arrogance of Richmond supporters?
Remember USA USA USA

Taking the loss well I see . Got a little bit ahead of yourselves....again .

? Your overated club couldn’t quite copy us . Your disengenuous attempt to be Us has been laughable. Please spare the arrogance crap , you are just frustrated that you can’t copy us .

And either way the result goes on Saturday , remember this ; TreLOLoar either choose the wrong club to leave or wrong club not to go to . Now that’s arrogance .

USA USA USA ... we laugh at you ,

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richmond didn’t even make the Grand Final last year, and haven’t won the grand final this year (yet?), so that’s an audacious claim.

Maybe win next week before you get a full head of steam about being the best team over the last three seasons.
Well the last three years they’ve finished 1st, 3rd and either 1st or 2nd. (After finals)
West coast finished 6th, 1st, 5th
If gws win they’ll be 3rd, 5th, 1st.

Statistically tigers have had the best finishes over the last three years.

But they already are the best team in the last 3 seasons even if they lose next week. 1 Premiership 1 Grand Final & 1 Prelim

They'd be close with GWS if we extended it to 4 seasons, who would have 1 premiership 2 prelims and 1 semi final vs Richmond with the above and 13th. You could argue a GWS premiership makes them the best team in the past 4 years.

No one evaluates in reference to making prelims though; Grand Final wins are the only measure that matters, and if Richmond lose next week they’ve only got as many as West Coast and GWS.

If Richmond win however they are clearly the best team over a 3-year period.

By half time they will be tired and Richmond will be full of running. I know what I would rather have, not two hard games in a row. I think everyone is underestimating Richmond now. Come Saturday GWS won’t know what hit them. Tigers have been there before and know what it takes to win a flag.

It should be close and GWS will have their periods of domination but i think a combination of Richmonds fantastic defence and a few terrible umpiring decisions will sap their momentum and hand the Tigers a 2-3 goal buffer that can never be surmounted. Richmond then simply capitalize on a few mistakes to kick their goals, whereas GWS have this massive 3 goal wall to overcome. Richmond should be tactically smarter and win, just. But yes, 2nd half should see Tigers kick away.

No one evaluates in reference to making prelims though; Grand Final wins are the only measure that matters, and if Richmond lose next week they’ve only got as many as West Coast and GWS.

If you’re evaluating the best side over a period, then yes, of course you’d look at that.

It should be close and GWS will have their periods of domination but i think a combination of Richmonds fantastic defence and a few terrible umpiring decisions will sap their momentum and hand the Tigers a 2-3 goal buffer that can never be surmounted. Richmond then simply capitalize on a few mistakes to kick their goals, whereas GWS have this massive 3 goal wall to overcome. Richmond should be tactically smarter and win, just. But yes, 2nd half should see Tigers kick away.
Richmond are last in free kick differential aren’t they? I’m not sure umpiring conspiracies work with them.

If you’re evaluating the best side over a period, then yes, of course you’d look at that.

Depends how much weight you give to just making particular finals.

No doubt Richmond have gone further than most teams, but they’ve still only won one grand final at this point. They are on the same level as the Bulldogs, West Coast and Sydney Grand Final teams, looking at the past decade.

If Richmond wins 2/3 flags they are the best team over that 3 year period?

What a hot take

Back