News Staying: Knight says GTFO Carlton you losers, signs one more year

What will we get for Riley?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Knight to Sydney has a bit of the Marty Mattners about it for mine. Good young player with potential properly unlocked by a club that knows how to best use him.

Hope this doesn't come back and bit us on the arse.

I think Mattner was a prominent player for us then than Knight has been, and Mattner had attributes that eclipse that of Knight's.

Knight to Sydney has a bit of the Marty Mattners about it for mine. Good young player with potential properly unlocked by a club that knows how to best use him.

If we used the logic of 'it's possible he could improve' for every bit of deadwood, then we'd never move any player on.

He's shown barely anything and has no stand out traits. Lyons had at least put some good performances on the board with limited opportunity.

Mattner wasnt a whole lot better for them than us.
I would've said slightly at best, which co-incided with his latter career.

As others have mentioned though he was a higher quality player than knight.

If we used the logic of 'it's possible he could improve' for every bit of deadwood, then we'd never move any player on.

He's shown barely anything and has no stand out traits. Lyons had at least put some good performances on the board with limited opportunity.
I'm one of the minority who really think he could be a significant player for us - tough, competetive, thrives on a challenge and has a huge tank. But he's been played as a small pressure forward all year, simply because we're philisophically opposed to the idea of tagging.

Some other team will pick him up and play him a Cameron Ling type role, and I reckon will reap the rewards.

I'm one of the minority who really think he could be a significant player for us - tough, competetive, thrives on a challenge and has a huge tank. But he's been played as a small pressure forward all year, simply because we're philisophically opposed to the idea of tagging.

Some other team will pick him up and play him a Cameron Ling type role, and I reckon will reap the rewards.
Maybe he'll be a good full time tagger I dunno. If we're not using a tagger I don't want him in the team.

I don't think a tagger has to be full time or even experienced. Look what Graham did in the gf.

Yep thats fantastic.
I havent got the stats in front of me but I would estimate 65% of Norths forward entries go to brown.

Put it this way. Would you have him over Hawkins, Cameron, Buddy, Kennedy, Darling, Lynch, Riewoldt?

Thats just the obvious ones. I would still prefer Tex to him, and probably also guys like Hipwood and Noughton who have a higher ceiling.

Brown is super one dimensional playing as the only target in a poor side.

You need to just stop talking. You’re not very good at it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems to be a habit that you’re quite loose with the facts

In this case the facts dont matter to your dumb ignorant opinion.
Cant see the forest for the trees.

Just a tip. Dont look at the draft this year. I'm sure we're going to miss out on someone better who goes after our picks.

Yeh but thats the point of losing him and not other players in different positions.
he might be an overall better player, but theres no spot for him.
If you’re talking about Greenwood, he’s got gun hands both in marking and clean possessions around stoppages. All he needs is improving his engine and you can easily find a spot for him in midfield or forward flank (like McGovern), or just alternating between these 2 zones.

Losing Greenwood has the potential to bite us hard something like a Gunston more than a Lyons.

Knight, on the other hand, already has the fitness, but his brilliance shown thus far is of limited capacity. We need to play kids who have the potential to outdo Sloane/Crouches if we’re going to be a premiership threat. I don’t think Knight is going to be the answer for us going forward. But I would be happy for him to stay as a fringe midfielder/tagger as a cheaper midfield option.

If you’re talking about Greenwood, he’s got gun hands both in marking and clean possessions around stoppages. All he needs is improving his engine and you can easily find a spot for him in midfield or forward flank (like McGovern), or just alternating between these 2 zones.

Losing Greenwood has the potential to bite us hard something like a Gunston more than a Lyons.

Knight, on the other hand, already has the fitness, but his brilliance shown thus far is of limited capacity. We need to play kids who have the potential to outdo Sloane/Crouches if we’re going to be a premiership threat. I don’t think Knight is going to be the answer for us going forward. But I would be happy for him to stay as a fringe midfielder/tagger as a cheaper midfield option.

His best position is inside midfield.
IN fact its his only real position. He can rest forward but I dont think he could play as a permanent forward.

He cant play in a team with Crouch, Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs.

We were too slow all year and unfortunately as much as I like Hugh hes not as good as the other guys at that position.

In this case the facts dont matter to your dumb ignorant opinion.
Cant see the forest for the trees.

Just a tip. Dont look at the draft this year. I'm sure we're going to miss out on someone better who goes after our picks.
Facts don’t matter when you’ve been found to make them up, right.

Facts don’t matter when you’ve been found to make them up, right.

In the case of your point, no they dont matter.

Whether its pick 1 or 1000 there will be better players chosen later and worse players chosen earlier.
This is just a fact of life you're going to have to get used to.

I agree. I'd love to see Knight as a tagger. He's done a good job on Selwood on the past, and is an absolute campaigner on field. Perfectly suited to it.

The small pressure forward is interesting, as really, Murphy really ripped the bottom out of Knights Adelaide career, despite not setting the world on fire by just being Knights but younger.

Riley is a conundrum. Doesn't really ooze talent and frankly doesn't really have a genuine position either.

BUT and it's a big BUT - Has a crack. Seems to play with a little bit of heart and seems to always try and work hard.

These kind of players are handy to have around the club, especially one like ours. But will he play 15+ games at Adelaide in 2020? Unlikely.

I wouldn't judge him at all if he left, especially if he is being offered a 2-3 year deal with some job security.

Easy trade option too if you ask me.

ADELAIDE GET: Pick 41

CARLTON GET: Eddie Betts & Riley Knight

Done and done.
I'd say more of an enigma.

This.
I'm not happy that Greenwood is leaving.
I liked Knight's mongrel as well, but he doesn't look like he's going to get much, if any, better.

John ...we're moving on, what I call the skin that covers the teams skeleton ....players, call them depth players if you like, that'll play ok in a good winning side ....but struggle in a losing side

We have to clear the decks of these fringe players ....and find a few "stars" ASAP ....yes thy all won't work out, but we'll turn over quickly over 2 year contracts ..... I like the urgency of this rebuild

I like the urgency of this rebuild
I think you're right. It's urgent, and it's a rebuild.
I would not consider Keath and Greenwood to be "fringe players", nor even JJ whose problem is consistency/attitude, not size or ability.
Pre-bye, posters in here were ebullient about Keath's rise --- a future star, AA form etc --- with good reason. He was playing really well. I understand why Jacobs/Betts/Keath/Greenwood and even Crouch are seeking longer contracts than those offered by the Crows, but their stated intention to leave before a new Coach has been found is troubling.
Also, all the noise and bluster about those players and Pyke's 'resignation' are welcome diversions away from the accountability of the real culprits of the Crows' failures --- specifically Chapman/Fagan/Roo/Burton/Hass and Campo/Hart, who will be happy that the spotlight has been deflected away from them.
(Edit: I'd like the "rebuild" to be less urgent/hasty and more thorough)

Last edited:
Back