Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tasmania is an awesome place, and I actually doubt they’ll have issues with retention with Melbourne close by.

Would the AFL create a supporting academy ala GC and GWS?
Close by although it may as well be WA or SA or NSW or QLD. The player still needs to get to an airport to fly home and back so it's kind of irrelevant that it might be a slightly shorter plane trip.

Where it might be some advantage is playing away games it's a shorter trip to Melbourne, but a longer trip elsewhere.

Factor in the horrible cold, grey, wet weather in winter with less sun, thats been linked to poorer mood, I think player retention will be the biggest issue the club faces.

Close by although it may as well be WA or SA or NSW or QLD. The player still needs to get to an airport to fly home and back so it's kind of irrelevant that it might be a slightly shorter plane trip.

Where it might be some advantage is playing away games it's a shorter trip to Melbourne, but a longer trip elsewhere.

Factor in the horrible cold, grey, wet weather in winter with less sun, thats been linked to poorer mood, I think player retention will be the biggest issue the club faces.

Hobart has pretty much the same sunshine hours as Melbourne. About 3.50 in June & 8hrs in January, +/- a few minutes.

Hobart has less rain than Melbourne.

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is noticed more one moves away from the equator in winter. I don't think is a major issue at 42d south. Like most mood disorders, its helped by physical exercise. Thus one would think ultra fit AFL players would have less of such a problem. Maybe they'll get some anxiety disorders from reading the negative nellies on BF? ;)

Hobart has pretty much the same sunshine hours as Melbourne. About 3.50 in June & 8hrs in January, +/- a few minutes.

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is noticed more one moves away from the equator in winter. I don't think is a major issue at 42d south. Like most mood disorders, its helped by physical exercise. Thus one would think ultra fit AFL players would have less of such a problem. Maybe they'll get some anxiety disorders from reading the negative nellies on BF? ;)
We just need to move into our own timezone, 30 mins ahead of the mainland. That way, players can train and still get in a round of golf by 5 in the winter. That would fix it right away. *

On the Tasmania club board, perhaps when we actually have a date when we are in the AFL. I don't know what I and other Tasmanians can really discuss before then that can't be said already in other places and have already been trodded on.

* I am taking the piss btw of a recent discussion in the recent Liberal meeting, where one of the considerations was moving us 30 mins ahead of the mainland, so we get more time in the afternoon in winter. It isn't going ahead thank god.

Yeh maybe, for a number of reasons I still think player retention will be the greatest challenge.

Yeh maybe, for a number of reasons I still think player retention will be the greatest challenge.

I've said before, if 18 year olds don't want to live on the Gold Coast, they are hardly going to prefer Hobart.
Even if you are allowed to keep every Tasmanian, up to 30 players extra players will be needed.
That's a lot.
Not saying impossible, but a huge challenge.
ps personally, I'd like to see a Tassie team, and I like Hobart and Lonnie

Yeh, maybe? don't you like the facts?
It's a fair point on sunshine hours (assuming your stats are correct with a reputable source) but ignored everything else. It's still a fair bit colder and the extremes in winter are a lot lower too, I don't think you'd find the majority would prefer the weather in Tassie's winter over weather on the mainland.

Is colder weather a big enough factor on it's own? Maybe not. Is it potentially a negative factor to the majority that could add up with other negative factors? Maybe.

I've been very adamant Tassie needs a team, and I strongly believe the state will get around them and support it strongly. I think a club will succeed there. However it's the player retention that might be the issue. If you look at the cities/places in Aus that are preferred to live in, Tassie isn't high on the list. It might be easy to overcome this challenge, but I can still see it as a challenge.

Tassie has it's charm for sure, but I'd bet a lot of my dollars that for the demographic of male athletes with a lot of money between age 18-35 that Tasmania isn't their preferred Australian state to live in and play footy.... I mean, can you imagine Friday night games in the middle of July? I'm not sure how many players prefer to play their footy in windy 4C temperatures.

It's a fair point on sunshine hours (assuming your stats are correct with a reputable source) but ignored everything else. It's still a fair bit colder and the extremes in winter are a lot lower too, I don't think you'd find the majority would prefer the weather in Tassie's winter over weather on the mainland.

Is colder weather a big enough factor on it's own? Maybe not. Is it potentially a negative factor to the majority that could add up with other negative factors? Maybe.

I've been very adamant Tassie needs a team, and I strongly believe the state will get around them and support it strongly. I think a club will succeed there. However it's the player retention that might be the issue. If you look at the cities/places in Aus that are preferred to live in, Tassie isn't high on the list. It might be easy to overcome this challenge, but I can still see it as a challenge.

Tassie has it's charm for sure, but I'd bet a lot of my dollars that for the demographic of male athletes with a lot of money between age 18-35 that Tasmania isn't their preferred Australian state to live in and play footy.... I mean, can you imagine Friday night games in the middle of July? I'm not sure how many players prefer to play their footy in windy 4C temperatures.

I was just a bit miffed at your response to some facts. You brought up the weather & 'mood disorders'! Maybe you should have looked it up yourself before posting?

A few years ago Hockey Australia cancelled an International game they'd scheduled for Hobart virtually at the last minute. They said it was too cold & could cause injury just before the Commonwealth games!! FMD, they're based in Canberra!!!! Talk about insulting CRAP! They made themselves look utterly stupid.

I've lived in Melbourne & well remember being at the footy at VFA & AFL games. The difference in conditions for spectators in the open VFA grounds & stadiums like the MCG is quite noticeable. We saw an AFL game in Ballarat last year, in snow. Its a winter game!!!!!

Imagine playing footy in Canberra! Well FMD, they do play in Canberra!! Gold Coast player retention issues can't be weather related, unless its too sunny for the little lads can it?

Maybe its about club & footy culture? About being in a footy community?

Mood disorders? FMD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the self-indulgence but ESPN's produced a couple of stories that digs pretty deep into the Tassie AFL push:

Inside Tasmania's push for an AFL team -> http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/27763688/inside-tasmania-push-afl-team

Tasmania's AFL push: The burning questions -> https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/27763110/tasmania-afl-push-burning-questions

Quite nice pieces. I've met most of the people speaking on the vid! I guess the overall package & presentation to the AFL will count for something.

If they reject it & remain a mainland league, the game will here will die.

The NBL plan will go ahead, unless the Wilkinsons point development hits some snag. Using the DEC & the silverdome in Launceston. The Hurricanes will continue to use YP & BRO. Who knows what will happen to FIFO footy. I think less people will bother going over time.

I was just a bit miffed at your response to some facts. You brought up the weather & 'mood disorders'! Maybe you should have looked it up yourself before posting?

A few years ago Hockey Australia cancelled an International game they'd scheduled for Hobart virtually at the last minute. They said it was too cold & could cause injury just before the Commonwealth games!! FMD, they're based in Canberra!!!! Talk about insulting CRAP! They made themselves look utterly stupid.

I've lived in Melbourne & well remember being at the footy at VFA & AFL games. The difference in conditions for spectators in the open VFA grounds & stadiums like the MCG is quite noticeable. We saw an AFL game in Ballarat last year, in snow. Its a winter game!!!!!

Imagine playing footy in Canberra! Well FMD, they do play in Canberra!! Gold Coast player retention issues can't be weather related, unless its too sunny for the little lads can it?

Maybe its about club & footy culture? About being in a footy community?

Mood disorders? FMD.
It's about contributing factors over time. Weather might be one of them. There are others. I don't care that much other than to make the point I think player retention/acquisition will be a larger issue than club support.

Quite nice pieces. I've met most of the people speaking on the vid! I guess the overall package & presentation to the AFL will count for something.

The NBL plan will go ahead, unless the Wilkinsons point development hits some snag. Using the DEC & the silverdome in Launceston. The Hurricanes will continue to use YP & BRO. Who knows what will happen to FIFO footy. I think less people will bother going over time.
The FlFO models

The big concern is what keeping the FIFO footy here will do to our chances of a getting an AFL team,the attendances are already in decline,the numbers will be an absolute embrassment before long in less we start getting some good games.Attendances of less that 10000 will probably become a regular thing,it won't help our case when we start getting as little as 5000 to games,which is chance of being the case in the near future.

It's about contributing factors over time. Weather might be one of them. There are others. I don't care that much other than to make the point I think player retention/acquisition will be a larger issue than club support.

The weather? Given the facts on the weather/climate (not opinion or preconceived ideas) can be seen on the Bureau of Meteorology website, I don't know what particular thing leads you to fixate on that.

Player retention is an issue ( for a number of clubs as well) no doubt. I think that is a lot to do with the footy culture. Richmond was in the wilderness for 30 odd years before it got itself together. It now has a good footy culture & the success has followed. North Melbourne on the other hand seems not to be able to attract the players it needs. StKilda is another club that has mainly struggled apart from a few bright spots. All in the same city. The player lifestyle is the same, So whats the difference?

The FlFO models

The big concern is what keeping the FIFO footy here will do to our chances of a getting an AFL team,the attendances are already in decline,the numbers will be an absolute embrassment before long in less we start getting some good games.Attendances of less that 10000 will probably become a regular thing,it won't help our case when we start getting as little as 5000 to games,which is chance of being the case in the near future.

Embarrassment? The Embarrassment is that they've been here so long they've worn out the welcome mat. Past their use by date. etc etc. ;)

The NBL team happening is largely dependant on the government putting in 25 million to upgrade the Dec and putting in a large sum to keep it going yearly,so the government will have the final say on whether it happens.

The weather? Given the facts on the weather/climate (not opinion or preconceived ideas) can be seen on the Bureau of Meteorology website, I don't know what particular thing leads you to fixate on that.

Player retention is an issue ( for a number of clubs as well) no doubt. I think that is a lot to do with the footy culture. Richmond was in the wilderness for 30 odd years before it got itself together. It now has a good footy culture & the success has followed. North Melbourne on the other hand seems not to be able to attract the players it needs. StKilda is another club that has mainly struggled apart from a few bright spots. All in the same city. The player lifestyle is the same, So whats the difference?
Number of factors at play. I don't care that much other than to make the point I think player retention/acquisition will be a larger issue than club support for this potential club.

The ‘vibe’ about tassie weather is the same as people’s ‘vibe’ about gold coast being retirees, no families and transient.
Perception is another word for it, and perception is a pretty important factor in decision making and how someone experiences their reality.

The NBL team happening is largely dependant on the government putting in 25 million to upgrade the Dec and putting in a large sum to keep it going yearly,so the government will have the final say on whether it happens.

That happens in most places for most sports. Nearly all sports venues are funded by Government for a start.

Look at the money spent to attract things like F1 racing. Multi millions for one event.

The Wilkinsons point/DEC/NBL tie up could see the vacant land & the run down DEC benefit to the tune of $200mil. so it has a huge commercial development involved in it. Whether the NBL come or not, the DEC needs $millions spent to get it modernised for any events they want to bring to Hobart.

That happens in most places for most sports. Nearly all sports venues are funded by Government for a start.

Look at the money spent to attract things like F1 racing. Multi millions for one event.

The Wilkinsons point/DEC/NBL tie up could see the vacant land & the run down DEC benefit to the tune of $200mil. so it has a huge commercial development involved in it. Whether the NBL come or not, the DEC needs $millions spent to get it modernised for any events they want to bring to Hobart.
I agree the benifits are going be to huge if we get an NBL team,so the government will be silly to ignore something soo major.I look forward to signing up as a member of both an AFL and NBL team,and I'm more than happy to travel from Scottsdale to Hobart to see our own teams play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back