Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel is being refurbished right now. It would want to be a lot better cos it’s a poor experience being boarded up

All the improvements Wwill overlook the train tracks not the harbour so yet another docklands fail?

We got blackmailed into spending a billion dollars on a stadium we don't need, and I don't believe that it was necessary to do that to get a team. It's not like we were given alternatives, and it's not like there would have been none.

The Carter report proposed options to relocate or create a joint venture with an existing club would provide a more sustainable outcome. These options were rejected outright.

It then became a case of "how do we make a stand-alone club financially sustainable?"

But I'm sure the AFL commission and 18 club presidents know what's best for Tasmania, no doubt at all

Certainly, the AFL would know better than you what gives an AFL club the best chance of thriving and being financially viable in a State with 500K people split across an island.

Calling it "blackmail" is deranged

There is no reason why Utas Stadium shouldn't host at least as many games as Hobart. It's getting upgraded, it already get bigger crowds than Hobart and has had AFL footy for a decade longer.

Unless of course they need to justify the enormous cost of a new stadium. That might be a reason.
I'm not sure if we will get bigger crowds than Hobart with our own team though because obviously Hobart has North Melbourne that often struggle to pull 15,000 in Melbourne. Both the hurricanes and Jackjumpers crowds are Bigger down Hobart than up here so it will be interesting to see what the crowds will be like in both cities when the team starts playing.

I'm not sure if we will get bigger crowds than Hobart with our own team though because obviously Hobart has North Melbourne that often struggle to pull 15,000 in Melbourne. Both the hurricanes and Jackjumpers crowds are Bigger down Hobart than up here so it will be interesting to see what the crowds will be like in both cities when the team starts playing.
No doubt if the AFL team ends up a Hobart team like the other two then crowds will be lower in Launceston, but I'm hoping that sense will prevail and that won't happen. Why would you ignore half the state?

There is no reason why Utas Stadium shouldn't host at least as many games as Hobart. It's getting upgraded, it already get bigger crowds than Hobart and has had AFL footy for a decade longer.

Unless of course they need to justify the enormous cost of a new stadium. That might be a reason.
I think the 7-4 split seems about right. Launnie does have a decent track record of drawing crowds, although the players will need to fly interstate every second week, so the trip to Launnie for every other home game would probably be a bit excessive.

No doubt if the AFL team ends up a Hobart team like the other two then crowds will be lower in Launceston, but I'm hoping that sense will prevail and that won't happen. Why would you ignore half the state?
Both the hurricanes and the Jackjumpers are Tasmanian teams and get statewide support and the Tassie team is going to be no different.

I think the 7-4 split seems about right. Launnie does have a decent track record of drawing crowds, although the players will need to fly interstate every second week, so the trip to Launnie for every other home game would probably be a bit excessive.
We have Hawk's in Launceston so obviously the crowds are going to be bigger but Hobart pulls bigger crowds to both the hurricanes and Jackjumpers so I'm not sure what the case will be with our own AFL team.

It has to be predominantly Hobart based, so 3 games in Lonnie is plenty.
There are many people in the North and North West who would be pissed with anything other than a 6-5 split, so IMO 3 wouldn’t be plenty, it would be absolute minimum. The taskforce and Premier both said that Launceston shouldn’t host fewer games than what they currently do (which is 4).

We have Hawk's in Launceston so obviously the crowds are going to be bigger but Hobart pulls bigger crowds to both the hurricanes and Jackjumpers so I'm not sure what the case will be with our own AFL team.

Well the Hurricanes are explicitly a Hobart team and the JackJumpers don't play anywhere near enough games outside of Hobart to be considered anything but a Hobart team. The AFL team has to be a state team in more than just name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does it have to be predominantly Hobart based?
Because that's where the new $700m+ stadium is going to be. I think that was briefly mentioned earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back