Richmond's 7 Consecutive MCG Games

Is Richmond's 7 consecutive games at the MVG unfair?

• Yes

Votes: 156 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 188 54.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how Richmond fans would react if their fixture was flipped around?
Getting all of the cream at the start of the year and then dealing with all of the rubbish after the bye in the lead up to September
Well for one thing we weren't whining about our draw half way through the season after we had a difficult draw, nobody was saying, gee Richmond are having a tough time of it. So probably not much other than to acknowledge we would have a tough draw coming home. All it would take was for our draw to have one away game in that last 7 games and this conversation wouldn't be taking place. Do you recognise how thin and whiny your argument is.

So probably not much other than to acknowledge we would have a tough draw coming home.
Riiight. I reckon that there would be more than just a couple of threads on bigfooty over it.

Remember, we’re talking about a fan base who basically put out a call to arms the last time Richmond had to play a game in Geelong

Getting all of the cream at the start of the year and then dealing with all of the rubbish after the bye in the lead up to September
Going by this thread it would have been interstate supporters up in arms for the supposed leg up we would have received in the first half of the season.
Some find a reason to whinge about anything as we know.

Riiight. I reckon that there would be more than just a couple of threads on bigfooty over it.

Remember, we’re talking about a fan base who basically put out a call to arms the last time Richmond had to play a game in Geelong
We have played in Geelong more times than I can remember, the last time 2017. As the same question to a Collingwood supporter... 14 years.
And were there threads on here about Richmond's tough draw at the start of the year. No.

Geelong get 9 games for the year at home. Richmond got 7 in a row leading into finals.

And yet Scott is a sook for complaining.

Tiggies fans, just bail. You can't win this argument. Your team got gifted the greatest run into finals in modern football history. If you can't see that assisted your chances of a top 4 spot which set you up in finals, you are deluded.

Worst draw in his history. Everyone knows you want your wins early.

Showdowns and derbies are as close to finals as you can get for non Victorian clubs. Especially if they’re both up and about. Comparatively the closest thing you’d get in Melbourne is Anzac Day or Easter Monday. No one gives a toss about most of your Melbourne clashes, your fans don’t care and you only sell out a handful of them a year between the lot of you

I agree that after all the ebbs and flows throughout the home and away season, everything usually pretty much evens out in the end, and super strong teams no matter where they’re from will always win almost all of theirs games at home.

But when a contending mcg based team gets gifted a run of 7 consecutive games at home, with constant 7+ day breaks for more than a month leading into finals, its just an embarrassing blight on the integrity of the competition on top of all the other advantages mcg tenants already get over the rest of the competition

Get your wins early.. everyone knows that. Our draw was a coach killer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just be happy Richmond choked in last years prelim, otherwise Richmond would've won 3 in a row
Honestly if we came against West Coast in the 2018 GF it could have been anyones game imo. Our form was on a downward trajectory going into finals and West Coast were a very good team that year.

I personally don't just assume it's a fait accompli we would have won the 2018 GF if we made it.

We have played in Geelong more times than I can remember, the last time 2017. As the same question to a Collingwood supporter... 14 years.
And were there threads on here about Richmond's tough draw at the start of the year. No.
Why would anyone start a thread about Richmond’s tough start to the year? Everyone would just look at your fixture as a whole and laugh you off the site

Can you remember all of the commotion and carry on by Richmond supporters over playing that game in 2017? They were borderline ready to riot over it. Imagine the uproar if Richmond had to get on a plane a few times in the lead up to September! Gill would probably get strung up

I can't really see much difference. The early fan es s are worth 4 points whether it's at the start of the season or towards the end.

It's just either a case of setting up ourselves up at the start of the season with bit of a slog towards the end or vice versa.

Several years ago it may have bit of an influence, but now with the bye before the finals it gives the players some time to recover. So I don't mind so much.

How good was our draw mid year when we went
Neutral game
6 day break
Neutral
6 day
Away game
7 day
Home game
6 day
Away game

Our kids were absolutely cooked after that run. That last game was v adelaide at AO in R13. I’d have traded that game for our Carlton game in R21 at the G.

We’d only have a 4 game streak at the G, and we’d have finished 17-5, on top of the ladder, and wouldn’t have had to travel week 1 of finals.
1570837654482.png

At the start you were out of contention. Playing one game outside of Melbourne after the bye and playing 7 in a row at your home ground at the end got you back into it
Actually, getting our players back after the bye got us into it. But yeah, forget that ay.

Missing out on a single home cooked dinner to play Gold Coast after the bye sure didn’t hurt either

At the time getting pumped by the undermanned hawks at home was seen as a pretty big choke.

Not sure if there was much mention of richmond games at the mcg then

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back