Meltdown If Geelong were given home finals would they have won the 14, 16, 17 & 19 flags comfortably

Remove this Banner Ad

I am convinced that 100% they would have won at least 3 of the above 4 flags. Let’s look at it more forensically however:

2014:

Geelong v North Melbourne. Would have been an absolute walk in the park for the cats as north were the 7th- 8th best side in it that year and we had smashed them convincingly throughout the year. Instead we are forced to play in their home city and they get over the line in a close one. Believe we would have gone on to belt Sydney and then had another crack against the hawks in the GF. Prognosis: 50% likelihood.

2016:
Qualifying final. Won by a kick against he hawks. Should have been a much easier game down at Kardinia. Prelim final: here is where we were really robbed. Had won 7 of 8 home games throughout the season and would have started unbackable favourites in this match. Absolutely no doubt in my mind we win this game and go on to demolish the dogs.

2017:
Had comprehensively smashed out direct opponent at Simmonds stadium a couple of weeks before finals and had a number of elite players returning to the side. Instead we play the side that finished 3rd in their cheat ground in front of their fans who bought our tickets in the ballot and with their home town umpiring decisions. Absolutely 100% certain if the game was at gmhba we win. Would go on to demolish our bunnies the giants and crows. 100% certainty

Finished top and had to play 4th on their cheat ground then had to back it up with away game against the eagles and an away game against the 3rd placed side also in their cheat ground. Lost both our qualifying and prelim by a bees dick with some dodgy decisions and biased crowds. With an even run at it we would have been absolute morals to make the GF and belt up on the bye that was GWS in the grand final.

Overall I think it is safe to say at least 3 more flags would be in the coffers (probably 4) if the afl sorted out inequality of making us play away from home in finals

What alot of crap. They weren't good enough. They got a home final in 2013 and got beaten.

It's home state finals not home ground. If they had to play the the MCG and Marvel like every other Victorian club has to they may not have been top 4 some years. They get a huge advantage on Victorian clubs playing home games at Kardinia Park.

I am convinced that 100% they would have won at least 3 of the above 4 flags. Let’s look at it more forensically however:

2014:

Geelong v North Melbourne. Would have been an absolute walk in the park for the cats as north were the 7th- 8th best side in it that year and we had smashed them convincingly throughout the year. Instead we are forced to play in their home city and they get over the line in a close one. Believe we would have gone on to belt Sydney and then had another crack against the hawks in the GF. Prognosis: 50% likelihood.

2016:
Qualifying final. Won by a kick against he hawks. Should have been a much easier game down at Kardinia. Prelim final: here is where we were really robbed. Had won 7 of 8 home games throughout the season and would have started unbackable favourites in this match. Absolutely no doubt in my mind we win this game and go on to demolish the dogs.

2017:
Had comprehensively smashed out direct opponent at Simmonds stadium a couple of weeks before finals and had a number of elite players returning to the side. Instead we play the side that finished 3rd in their cheat ground in front of their fans who bought our tickets in the ballot and with their home town umpiring decisions. Absolutely 100% certain if the game was at gmhba we win. Would go on to demolish our bunnies the giants and crows. 100% certainty

Finished top and had to play 4th on their cheat ground then had to back it up with away game against the eagles and an away game against the 3rd placed side also in their cheat ground. Lost both our qualifying and prelim by a bees dick with some dodgy decisions and biased crowds. With an even run at it we would have been absolute morals to make the GF and belt up on the bye that was GWS in the grand final.

Overall I think it is safe to say at least 3 more flags would be in the coffers (probably 4) if the afl sorted out inequality of making us play away from home in finals
What a hero. Where's 2013 in this?

Gee that one hour drive down the highway must be something else...

I have sympathy for the interstate teams and the travelling they do frequently which makes their successes more impressive, but absolutely no sympathy for Geelong and this petty argument that comes up year after year. You are a much looked after team. You are gifted a handful of certain wins each year at Kardinia park/Skilled/GHMBA or whatever the heck they are calling it these days which pretty much guarantees finals, you get a pretty decent ride from the umpires and have more voices in the media than any other Victorian team. But when the moment arises, you fail... and you sound like a bunch of petulant children who claim that it's all just unfair that you have to leave the confines of your own stadium.

The rules state that if you finish top 4 you are entitled to a HOME STATE FINAL... not a home ground final. You were not robbed of success, you were not denied anything and this thread is insulting to the teams that have been premiers, particularly one of the greatest all time teams (3 peat team) in Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs, the club who were given nothing by the league.

2014:

2016:

2017:

If we got 11 home games instead of 7-9 we would also finish higher on the ladder and earn even more home finals.

Geelong faces world sports greatest injustice. Even the pakistan cricket team has it better.

Its about time other teams supporters recognise this as it puts a huge asterik over results. Needs to be fixed ASAP. And a public apology from the league.

Agree. His leadership when challenged will be missed. Now it’s up to Dads Army to change their stripes.

Reinforcements arriving today.

It’s a valid point. You have to trawl all the way back through the record books to two whole matches ago to find our two longest serving players being the two best players on the ground in a sudden death final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. His leadership when challenged will be missed. Now it’s up to Dads Army to change their stripes.

Reinforcements arriving today.
I love that even after 2 flags in 3 years Richmond fans still have PTSD regarding the Geelong hidings they copped from the early 90s through to 2016 or so

Not sure what is more entertaining about this line--- that RedVest4 thinks that the 2019 Prelim was a "biased crowd' when the Cats were the AWAY team in a post asking for the Cats to play finals down at GHMBA.

Or that he thought they lost the Qualifying final & Prelim by a "bees dick". It was 10 points & 19 points respectively-- if that's a "bees dick" I want to see the size of bees down in Geelong.

Agree with OP. Robbed of another dynasty. Absolute disgrace!

2017:

LOL we were even encouraged by our club social media to do this. We took Geelong's tickets and then we took their souls.

Ruthless Richmond.

Oh well.

If it's any consolation, we will always have catman.gif to look back on fondly.

Yet all those wins are now meaningless because Geelong can't beat Richmond when it matters in finals
not really, during those wins the Cats beat the Tigers in a PF and claimed 3 of their own flags

Agree with OP. Robbed of another dynasty. Absolute disgrace!

LOL we were even encouraged by our club social media to do this. We took Geelong's tickets and then we took their souls.

Ruthless Richmond.

Oh well.

If it's any consolation, we will always have catman.gif to look back on fondly.

Hadnt seen that in full as a I was at the ground. Pretty funny

2014:

2016:

2017:

If like interstate clubs you get home finals but either 0,1,2 mcg games a year you might find you make the granny and lose.

2014:

Huh? Geelong is an MCG tenant in the H&A season, and North Melbourne is not. Sounds like a pretty clear advantage in Geelong's favour to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back