Meltdown If Geelong were given home finals would they have won the 14, 16, 17 & 19 flags comfortably

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a valid point. You have to trawl all the way back through the record books to two whole matches ago to find our two longest serving players being the two best players on the ground in a sudden death final
Tell me more about the third qtr of this year’s prelim. Or the first qtr of last year’s elimination final against Melbourne. Or qtr 3 of the Qualifying final against Richmond in 2017. Or the first qtr of the Prelim vs Adelaide that year.

Your example is the outlier. Fact is your leaders just don’t stand up when it’s needed in big games.

Don't get Jenkins, it'll just take too long for him to adjust.

1. Gameplan
2. Having to play in Geelong
3. Having to play 'away' in Melbourne
4. Having to play at 'home' in Melbourne

He'll be 50 by the time he's comfortable.

1980 cats finish top , Tigers premiers
2019 cats finish top, Tigers premiers
Ouchhhhh
yeah all those things that happened before I was born really keep me up at night ;) how'd the Tigers go last time they finished top of the ladder?

I am convinced that 100% they would have won at least 3 of the above 4 flags. Let’s look at it more forensically however:

2014:

Geelong v North Melbourne. Would have been an absolute walk in the park for the cats as north were the 7th- 8th best side in it that year and we had smashed them convincingly throughout the year. Instead we are forced to play in their home city and they get over the line in a close one. Believe we would have gone on to belt Sydney and then had another crack against the hawks in the GF. Prognosis: 50% likelihood.

2016:
Qualifying final. Won by a kick against he hawks. Should have been a much easier game down at Kardinia. Prelim final: here is where we were really robbed. Had won 7 of 8 home games throughout the season and would have started unbackable favourites in this match. Absolutely no doubt in my mind we win this game and go on to demolish the dogs.

2017:
Had comprehensively smashed out direct opponent at Simmonds stadium a couple of weeks before finals and had a number of elite players returning to the side. Instead we play the side that finished 3rd in their cheat ground in front of their fans who bought our tickets in the ballot and with their home town umpiring decisions. Absolutely 100% certain if the game was at gmhba we win. Would go on to demolish our bunnies the giants and crows. 100% certainty

Finished top and had to play 4th on their cheat ground then had to back it up with away game against the eagles and an away game against the 3rd placed side also in their cheat ground. Lost both our qualifying and prelim by a bees dick with some dodgy decisions and biased crowds. With an even run at it we would have been absolute morals to make the GF and belt up on the bye that was GWS in the grand final.

Overall I think it is safe to say at least 3 more flags would be in the coffers (probably 4) if the afl sorted out inequality of making us play away from home in finals
Geelong the moral premiers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The prelim was over in 2016, before the end of the first quarter. It was that much of one sided affair.

I stopped reading from 2016. Next level mental gymnastics..... put down the Geelong advertiser.

It could be argued that your club has a advantage as it plays a home state final, yet still has its own private ground to play on, during H&A.
You travel the same amount as every other Victorian club, but play a huge percentage of your games at your own ground.

2005 semi was at the G instead of scg we win 100%

Like richmond currently do in the A(v)fl?

Richmond do travel for away games-- including down to GMHBA stadium.

Seriously-- this is next level melt. I feel that every other week there's a new thread about Geelong "not being given home finals" despite the fact they choose to play home games @ the MCG during the season.

Richmond do travel for away games-- including down to GMHBA stadium.

Seriously-- this is next level TROLL. I feel that every other week there's a new thread about Geelong "not being given home finals" despite the fact they choose to play home games @ the MCG during the season.
Must be, he can't really be serious.

Only way to win would have been to finish top 4 and then lose the first week of finals.

Geelong are an absolute basket case trying to win coming off a bye, despite any counter arguments the club or some supporters might put up, the figures speak for themselves, they're there for all to see.

It's actually a misconception by many that Geelong's recent finals record is horrible, it is, but, imo, it's as a consequence of the pre-finals bye and the bye before the pf if you manage to earn it.

Having said that, all year I thought that if Geelong made this year's gf, they would have won it. The hardest part was going to be getting into it.

2014, pumped by Hawks in the qf, then knocked out in straight sets the next week by Todd Goldstein. Cats were cooked.

2016, first year of the pre-finals bye. Absolutely cooked, fell over the line against an even more cooked Hawthorn after Smith missed his shot after the final siren. The fact that Geelong won this game tells you how cooked the Hawks were. Earned the bye before the pf and didn't show up in the first 1/4 against the Swans. Was a winnable year, but was a great story with the Dogs getting up.

2017, not good enough. Pumped by the Tiges in the first week, pumped the Swans the 2nd week, pumped by Adelaide in the prelim.

2019, see above. Would have had to beat Richmond on the day to win it, but would have been a huge chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back