Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ve looked into SOS’s crystal ball...

Papley will be a blue in 2021 after Sydney secure Daniher via Free agency.

Martin will land in blue in the upcoming PSD with top frontloaded $ on his head and play round 1, 2020.

So is everyone over there little tanty's now... finished tossing the toys out of the pram?

Good... SOS has responded well to what was basically an attempted strong arm effort from GC17, and by extension the AFL, to hand over another top 10 pick to good old Gold Coast.

SOS offered up a number of good deals to GC17, who was apparently under instructions from the AFL to be harder at the negotiating table. But it helps to be tough at the negotiating table when you are in a position of strength. Unfortunately for them, they were trying to be tough negotiators from a position of weakness. Martin is uncontracted and will now be pissed off with GC17 because of the stupid stance that they took... especially after trading Ah Chee for two 2020 picks... I'm sure you all know which rounds they are in. SOS looked at their final offer and told them to pound sand before walking out of the room laughing at their weak efforts.

Mind you, he came across as a bit perturbed with both GC17's list manager and that stupid twat from * who basically wasted the whole trade period for us and pretty much for Shitney. Mind you, he did screw Dodoro over when he got pick 57 and 70 for Phillips and 61 and 72. s**t, I would have taken pick 70 on it's own for Phillips after doing a Grigg on us.

As for the deal with Shitney for Papley, it was always going to be dependent on the Daniher trade and when that collapsed, Shitney no longer needed pick 9 so the Papley deal died in the arse. What sort of deadshit a-hole wants 2 first round picks for a guy who has hardly got on the field in the last 2 years... oh that's right... it's Dodoro. I'm certain that the guy cooks his own bread at home every day... a bit of a master baker if you will.

Now, I've heard a whole lot of "what about plan B" on Farcebook and on Twitter... we should have taken Butler... or Cutler... why didn't we look at some other small forward? Scak SOS... this has been a failure of a trade period!

Why?

Butler has played 22 games in the last 2 years... and has only played 45 games over the course of his 5 season career so far! Butler kicked 53 goals from his 45 games at Bitchmond... massive!
Cutler has played a whopping 66 games in 6 seasons at the paddlepops and only played 3 games this year. He has kicked a whopping 32 goals... in 66 matches.

Lewis Taylor... 112 games, 88 goals, 5 games this year.
Callum Ah Chee... 45 games, 24 goals. 1 game this year.

There is a reason why all 4 of those guys went for late picks and played bugger all games this year... they are not A grade small forwards.

Eddie had a poor year by his standards... he played 21 games and kicked 37 goals. If we want an experienced depth small forward... we could always pick up Jeffy as a DFA.

Now... I don't know about you lot, but I am actually pretty happy that we walked out of the trade period with a good backup to Kreuzer for bugger all, and we also got back Eddie for 12 months to act as a player/mentor. I'm also happy that GC17 have managed to screw themselves with Martin because he is out of contract and will walk into the PSD and probably as for a 12 month 1.2 million dollar contract. Out of GC17, the Dees and us... Carlton are the only team that can afford that sort of contract. I'm not saying that we would be so crass as to tamper with the PSD and get Martin to screw his old club... but * it... they have 4 top 20 picks. If they can't pick up some serious talent with that lot, they need to offer SOS 2 million a year to go to the Gold Coast for 3 years and rebuild their entire list.

I think I am over yesterday. Can’t help the Papley situation since Dodoro is a moron. Hopefully we pick him up in 12 months when/if Daniher nominates Sydney again. If Dodoro is a moron again, can Sydney offer Daniher a stupid contract and just get him in the PSD?

We should blow GCS and Melbourne out of the water for Jack Martin. If we get Martin in the PSD, the trade/draft window would still be a success. Papley is disappointing but not the end of the world.

Last edited:
I think I am over yesterdays disappointment now. Can help the Papley situation since Dodoro is a moron. Hopefully we pick him up in 12 months when/if Daniher nominates Sydney again. If Dodoro is a moron again, can Sydney offer Daniher a stupid contract and just get him in the PSD?

We should total blow GCS and Melbourne out of the water for Jack Martin. If we get Martin in the PSD, the trade/draft window would still be a success. Papley is disappointing but not the end of the world.

If Daniher wants to go next year he will be going as a free agent.

So once GCS realised that the Papley deal wasn't going down, they up their price because we still have pick #9 that they now want...and we just accept that? How is that brave?

Ellis did the same thing after the Cogs deal fell over, and upped his asking price to us as a FA because he knew we had the money to spend....we told him politely to gagf....and rightly so.

Anyway, worse comes to worse, we just pick Martin up as a FA in 2020.

As our ITK's tell us... things change. Being the tough guy with Brandon Ellis was both easy and correct. Taking the same approach with Jack Martin was also "easy" in my view, but wrong. We might well get Martin "free", but will pay the price when trying to get our preferred uncontracted players to nominate us at the end of 2020... any player with half a brain would be gun-shy, after last night.

The only mitigation against any of this is if the Papley deal was never dead, as we have been told. But we have also been told Daniher negotiations broke down 45 minutes before deadline, and if true, I find it hard to see how the Papley deal could have survived that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably best not to listen to the media today.
They'll have a field day for us not hitting our targets.

Can't help Dodoro not wanting to trade Daniher, I guess.
Said it many times earlier that once GC got all they wanted and more by way of 'support', they'd be puffing their chests out....and so they did.

It is what it is now and just want us to somehow lift that forward line without the addition of Papley.
I also wonder as how we'll review our efforts through this trade period. Questions will be asked, one would assume.

People seem to forget in all the hysteria that most players (Papley excluded) we were linked to are fringe players who werent getying regular senior footy at their clubs. They might play a role, fill a need, but they don't significantly improve our list.

Cutler to help out Cripps? Please..spare me!. Ellis, meh, Butler meh. Cannot believe the view that this has derailed us. It's business as usual.

Damn, I just read the last few pages. What the hell happened?

Save your likes people. I sense a thread cleanup when the mods wake up this morning.
I sense it would just be easier to take a match to it... 😉

In any event, some top shelf melting by some of you on here over night, I can't believe no one here has started the 'Sack SOS' thread yet.

Anyway i woke this morning and you wouldn't believe it.....the sun still came up.

Just some more thoughts..

I do believe this ‘leave it to the death’ stuff that SOS allows himself to get into needs to end. I think he hands over too much leverage in the process. We seem too keen to the opponent. In my experience this has the psychological effect of creating a view that we will eventually up the offer.

Again, in my commercial experience this is a dangerous thing to do because inside the competitors 4 walls it creates expectation. “They want him bad, they will lift the offer.” You’re allowing the opponent to get out of control in their expectations. They tell their management they’ll get more. Etc etc. then when they don’t its hard for them to save face.

I’d strongly advise a revisit of approach. I would suggest regardless of target we do a 180 on all this.

I also think allowing ourselves to be entangled with Essendon was a serious error. Sure the Swans and Bimbers has every right to do that. And we had every right to pull out of that situation and look to do other things with 9.

Putting all that together I’d have said to the Swans a week ago: “we have a lot we can do with 9, if you want it, here it is. Outright on its own. No chipping back (no asking for second rounders back etc). But we can’t wait around for you and Essendon. So let us know by tomorrow.”

Best offer put down. Force a yes or no. Move on. Arrow we didn’t have plans capable of being executed after all. We left it all too late. We will never know what could have been created out of Wines, Crouch or other had we just walked away a week ago.

I’m not trying to bag SOs. I just think he needs to change negotiating approach. Put your best offer and then walk away.

I’m also a bit over the chipping. The desperation to ‘win’ the trade. In the cool light of day the Martin deal offered by GC was worth probably 100-200 points more than what we offered. I doubt we keep 9 through the pick swap process anyway. I doubt we believe there’s a gulf between what we’d get at 9 and what’s available at 15. It’s all sillyness.

You’d really want to be sure you’ll end up with Martin through the PSD to have made that decision. If we don’t end up with him then I’ll go from ‘understanding’ to fuming.

With that in mind: go to GC today and offer a simple win win picks trade that leads to them delisting him as a DFA.

Nothing like a good witch hunt to start the mornin'.

'ITKs' post in the bluemour file... bluemour is a play on the word rumour but blue because Carlton.

Rumour - gossip (usually a mixture of truth and untruth) passed around by word of mouth

You can't be upset with 'ITKs', you chose to read it and take it as truth when in truth... it was a rumour.
But the general understanding is that they have inside information. so I don’t treat their posts as just rumours. No harm done apart from getting our hopes high and then having them quashed.

Yep.

AFL have f***ed us over royally.

I reckon someone slapped Gil to within an inch of his life as child - with a Carlton doll.

He has f**ked us over every chance he’s had.

The Coniglio screw over and now giving GCS so many picks they only want high R1 picks in any trade.
He is still salty that he didn't get rookied by us all those years ago.

Not an easy thing to do to put your reputation as a poster on the line. Right or wrong, you have to respect and understand that things change constantly during negotiations and what may be factual on Wednesday at 3:05pm may be false at 3:07pm.

Hats off to the ones willing to put the info they have out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, this is a major blight on silvagni, there is playing hard ball and there is stupidity. We are not the mafia where we say," accept this deal or we'll cut off a finger", when it came down to it. If we ended up paying major overs for martin and giving them a future first, do you think it would matter in the long run. And how about dan butler or gray from port, just a major fu** up in my opinion. Stephen silvagni has beena fantastic list manager for us, getting great trades done and doing well in the draft since he came along. But this hard lines approach of having to win every trade eventually catches up with you , because clubs become reluctant to deal with you, because they think that they are going to get unders for every trade they do with carlton, and no professional list manager or clubs wants to come out looking like a loser. i just don't understand how this happened, i guess over time it become clearer, i guess.

Have to agree. In trade period SOS is a great seller at a high price but in some circumstances you have to be prepared to pay the overs and get your man in. You look at the way Geelong deal and it is so strong, efficient & straightforward. Really disappointing our entire list management team didn’t have a Plan B & Plan C to just get a deal done for our two targeted players.
A big failure. Whilst the Papley deal might have been out of our hands in many ways it was bad night for our footy club. Two gun youngsters who would of really added to us are left stranded and we’re left holding our....

Just some more thoughts..

I do believe this ‘leave it to the death’ stuff that SOS allows himself to get into needs to end. I think he hands over too much leverage in the process. We seem too keen to the opponent. In my experience this has the psychological effect of creating a view that we will eventually up the offer.

Again, in my commercial experience this is a dangerous thing to do because inside the competitors 4 walls it creates expectation. “They want him bad, they will lift the offer.” You’re allowing the opponent to get out of control in their expectations. They tell their management they’ll get more. Etc etc. then when they don’t its hard for them to save face.

I’d strongly advise a revisit of approach. I would suggest regardless of target we do a 180 on all this.

I also think allowing ourselves to be entangled with Essendon was a serious error. Sure the Swans and Bimbers has every right to do that. And we had every right to pull out of that situation and look to do other things with 9.

Putting all that together I’d have said to the Swans a week ago: “we have a lot we can do with 9, if you want it, here it is. Outright on its own. No chipping back (no asking for second rounders back etc). But we can’t wait around for you and Essendon. So let us know by tomorrow.”

Best offer put down. Force a yes or no. Move on. Arrow we didn’t have plans capable of being executed after all. We left it all too late. We will never know what could have been created out of Wines, Crouch or other had we just walked away a week ago.

I’m not trying to bag SOs. I just think he needs to change negotiating approach. Put your best offer and then walk away.

I’m also a bit over the chipping. The desperation to ‘win’ the trade. In the cool light of day the Martin deal offered by GC was worth probably 100-200 points more than what we offered. I doubt we keep 9 through the pick swap process anyway. I doubt we believe there’s a gulf between what we’d get at 9 and what’s available at 15. It’s all sillyness.

You’d really want to be sure you’ll end up with Martin through the PSD to have made that decision. If we don’t end up with him then I’ll go from ‘understanding’ to fuming.

With that in mind: go to GC today and offer a simple win win picks trade that leads to them delisting him as a DFA.
It depends if you’re buying or selling. Leaving it to the death with Gibbs helped us immensely.

If Daniher wants to go next year he will be going as a free agent.

I am still getting a handle of how things work. Some players are off contract and can leave as FA’s. Other players are uncontracted and have to be traded for.

AFL contracts really are confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back