Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler played 7 games this year
Taylor played 5.

They are both nothing players.

Same could be said for Newman. Only played a handful of games in his final year at the Swans but was great for us.

Butler was an important player in a Premiership.Taylor's won a Rising Star.

Whilst both are not A or B Graders, a change of scenery could make them serviceable.

SOS should have been the one setting the agenda instead of cowtailing to other clubs ******* about.

Should have came out and said if Essendon/Sydney didn't have a deal ready by midday #9 was off the table and he was moving on to other possibilities.

Other possibility of going to the draft and hopefully get Martin in PSD - you mean that other possibility?

I have no tears. I'm just not a sycophant.

But you are a sycophant to your own pessimist doom and gloom

You say we had no plan B or C, how would you know this? Could plan B, be going to the draft which could have better output medium to long term compared to the likes of Butler?

Could plan C be taking DFA, that are rated similar to the likes of a Butler?

See, we can all make assumptions

Last edited:
Same could be said for Newman. Only played a handful of games in his final year at the Swans but was great for us.

Whilst both are not A or B Graders, a change of scenery could make them serviceable.

I think there are enough likely types in the draft that we're better served going there instead.

Papley > draftee > Butler/Taylor

Especially with Betts on board.

Goldcoast to me are disgusting. Easy to play hardball and lose players for free when you are gifted everything from the AFL. More amateur administration. Stand up to Carlton but gift players to your cross town rivals. Makes sense.
I hope we ******* obliterate them next season. I'd be telling the boys to physically crush that side next year.

Blues were done over.

Deals were agreed to, then reneged upon and more, much more was sought for both Papley & Martin.

Last night Dodoro was offered pick 9, next years 1st and 2nd by Swans, who were going to seek AFL approval to enable deal to proceed or obtain a future 2nd as part of other deals.

Dodoro has shafted a family member of Essendon royalty who wanted to leave Melbourne for relative anonymity in Sydney.

AFL complicit in the shafting we received by the Gold Coast Suns, told they needed to flex their muscle and harden up.

SOS didn’t fail, at this point he hasn’t delivered the players but he also didn’t overpay.

Very obvious many in here have never been involved in a commercial negotiation of any significance.
SOS failed

We don't need draft picks, we need players

If Papley was so unattainable, SOS should have seen that coming and not rely so heavily on another club's wheeling and dealing (and fickle temperament). Other players were available

SOS takes too many risks and plays too many games, for my liking

I think there are enough likely types in the draft that we're better served going there instead.

Papley > draftee > Butler/Taylor

Especially with Betts on board.

Yeah for sure.. wasn't proposing they were good for us, more responding to the mention of them as 'nobody players'.

At risk of opening a can of worms, if the player you rate at 9 is a mid, and the player you rate at 10 or 11 is a small forward, and you reeeeallly need a small forward - it's not really a reach.

Wouldn't take Weightman at 9, but if Flanders or Serong are on the board I think you take them.
I think this draft especially is one where you could potentially pick for need ahead of best available, within reason, of course.

Not sold on Taylor but agree with you on Butler. Butler was more so lack of opportunity this year. He filled a required need and was potentially cheap as chips.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone just needs to take a breath. We got Betts. We'll get Martin for free in the draft. Leaving only Papley we missed out on, simply because we're not going to pay overs for a small forward. A midfielder, maybe.. But not a small forward.

Add Newnes as a DFA and it's three players we've added which could very well slot straight in to our best 18.

That's without including the top 10 draft pick we're about to add to the list as well.

Perspective, people.

At risk of opening a can of worms, if the player you rate at 9 is a mid, and the player you rate at 10 or 11 is a small forward, and you reeeeallly need a small forward - it's not really a reach.

Wouldn't take Weightman at 9, but if Flanders or Serong are on the board I think you take them.

When I say reach, i dont mean in terms of picks, I mean compared to your/club's rating of draftees

If you rate the best small forward at 16, you are bypassing 8 other players rated better, no club would do take that risk

I suspect this is actually the case.

Under AFL instruction to act like tough motherf***ers for the first time in their existence.

A necessary change, but yet again, AFL intervention happens at the expense of Carlton, never the other clubs.

Although if it means we get him PSD without trading away anything it's not the worst scenario for us either...

Under AFL instruction to act like tough motherf***ers for the first time in their existence.

A necessary change, but yet again, AFL intervention happens at the expense of Carlton, never the other clubs.

Aye, the Orcs for instance: they have now picked up two of GWS's marqee players (or former marquee players at least) in Scully and Patton - for peanuts. People still seem to love giving Horthawn just what they want.
One can't help but wonder if it would have played out that way for us if we had been chasing those players.

For the record, I hope all goes well for Patto - he had such an appalling start to his career with injury. Just why oh why did it have to be Horthawn?!!

I was just explaining to a work colleague and it just seems too coincidental, but we keep on getting the raw end of any AFL interventions! :mad: :mad: :mad:
The AFL will probably change a few more rules as we head towards to top of the ladder:
1. No compensation for losing players
2. FA can't go to top 4 teams or some other form of restrictions

We have always said we now want elite talent in the positions we need- Papley is literally the only player we need who fits the bill.
He was contracted & Sydney wouldn’t budge when they couldn’t get JD.
It’s really not that difficult to understand. We tried & circumstances stopped it. It’s pretty obvious considering that 9 was bandied round very heavily.
We have a very solid Defence, our Tall forwards are arguably the most promising in the comp & IMO our biggest midfield issue is that our kids were just to small - preseason will go along way to remedying that. Why would we throw picks/trades around for what we don’t need.
When U think about who else was available there’s was nobody worth over paying for.
We will get Martin in the PSD and will pick best available with 9

SOS failed

If Papley was so unattainable, SOS should have seen that coming and not rely so heavily on another club's wheeling and dealing (and fickle temperament). Other players were available

Players we don't want or players who didn't want to play for us or had already agreed to play for someone else - lots of players out there

SOS failed

So, not paying overs for players is deemed as being too risky, and focusing only on a select few players is game playing?

I can't actually hate on Essendon for the Daniher/Papley trade. Sydney wouldn't even put 5 on the table, and flatly refused to trade Papley unless the Daniher trade went through.

Not sure they ever had genuine intentions of dealing. Just kicked tyres for a week and a half.

Bah Humbug. Just got my x-ray scan back from my GP, turns out I have a broken ankle that requires surgery.

Still more annoyed about missing out on Papley and Martin.

giphy.gif

#NightmareOnElmerSt 😥😥😥👹👹👹

We offered a future second and third for Martin. Gold Coast said they have heaps of draft picks so wanted something better than the AFL already gave them. I kid you not. Paraphrasing but that's the crux. Drunk on concessions.

Swans said Papley wasn't being traded unless they got Daniher so our offer doesn't matter.

Imagine what the Suns will ask for in 12 months time when the Crows and Port come for Lukosius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back