What just happened? The Shane Edwards freak show

Remove this Banner Ad

Two-time premiership dreamboat Shane Edwards, has a nice ring to it 🌈💞 How can you not love this guy???

My two personal favourite games for him are:

1) the 2018 Dreamtime game where he was the Yiooken Award recipient and gave everyone a Shedda Masterclass showing his younger indigenous brothers how it’s done (on and off the field).

39074632-B0A4-4277-82D4-9CC7EE185726.jpeg

2) and one of my absolute favourite games ever... Shedda captaining our side to victory (first of many under his leadership) in round 4 of this year against Port Adelaide. Totally set the scene for our premiership and arguably our most important win of the year (including finals) if you ask me.

246CC390-891E-40A6-8915-299F5A525292.jpeg

Just like his career currently I’m certain this bloke will at the end of his career be viewed as one of the all time tiger greats and everyone will say “who?” “What?” And 6 months later they’ll all be saying “yep he was awesome”.
It’s a shame that he’s not seen for what he is right now.

Also, while we are enjoying an Edwards love in, let’s not forget the impact he has had on our club off field.

He is talked about in glowing terms by the entire playing group as a “connector” who gets on with the older players and the kids.

He has gone from pretty much our only indigenous player, who had to research his own cultural heratige, to a real indigenous leader at the club. There in a reason we are able to bring the likes of rioli, Bolton, stack though and along with the KGI, shedda plays a massive role in this. It’s not an exaggeration to say the reason we are in a position to take a punt on the likes of Stack and Pickett is partly due to his off field leadership 😍

Here's my quote from early September 2017...........
"Well done Shane Edwards, has a bad run with injuries the last couple of years but thankfully the club knows how good he is and persisted with him even though many were bagging him back in June. Its understandable that some were losing patience but patience is a virtue and it is now paying off. Sheds will play a huge roll in the coming weeks, will peak on GF day if we make it. Congratulation Shane. Well done RFC and stay passionate tiger army. We will prevail. Eat em alive Tigers."

*ing love Shane Edwards.

Love these threads,

Edwards is a superstar, must now be remembered as our second greatest indigenous footballer ever .

And much much better than Cyril.

How I wish that they never locked that thread
I’m not sure about second best, black magic was a great player , but titch has two flags and been instrumental in both

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, while we are enjoying an Edwards love in, let’s not forget the impact he has had on our club off field.

He is talked about in glowing terms by the entire playing group as a “connector” who gets on with the older players and the kids.

He has gone from pretty much our only indigenous player, who had to research his own cultural heratige, to a real indigenous leader at the club. There in a reason we are able to bring the likes of rioli, Bolton, stack though and along with the KGI, shedda plays a massive role in this. It’s not an exaggeration to say the reason we are in a position to take a punt on the likes of Stack and Pickett is partly due to his off field leadership 😍
100%

Greg Williams and Paul Broderick were similar but not similar if you know what I mean.
Edwards is a better kick than both of them and is faster.
All three got handballs out of from the most impossible situations.

Great thread

The way he can release teammates into space by holding the ball a second longer and then wearing the body contact is an art form that very few players in the league can do these days.

The way he times his run to hit the fall of the ball off the pack at full speed is breathtaking. That play in the prelim I think where he burst through taking the ball off the pack and kicking to Lambert in the square sums up his extraordinary skillset.

I remember 2-3 years ago Dimma mentioned that Shed is the best centre clearance player per minutes spent in the centre in the league. We are lucky to have a player like him that we can put in virtually any part of the ground. Like a few have mentioned, I'll put my hand up - I lost patience and belief that hed ever become the player he is today.

More and more people I know are starting to notice him finally - my brother in law is a mad pies fan and hes just in awe of Shed and what he does out on the ground

I think our new game plan suits indigenous players .
They have great natural flair and vision which compliments our game plan .
Titch has finally realized that he's a great player and has a license too try his magic tricks .
I know Bennell did the dirty on us but he would be a player that would suit ouf game plan .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Since Francis Bourke we have yet to have any player reach 300 games (I'm not including David Cloke).

Due to playing in crap periods we have seen the likes of Knights, Campbell, Bowden, Weightman, Newman and Richo call time in the 265-297 range.

I'm hoping that if form and injuries don't intervene Shane will be the first in a long time to reach the magic milestone (unless Jack beats him to it).

Greg Williams and Paul Broderick were similar but not similar if you know what I mean.
Edwards is a better kick than both of them and is faster.
All three got handballs out of from the most impossible situations.
The best handballers at Richmond I've seen in order IMO:
6.Craig Lambert
5.Matthew Knights
4.Maurice Rioli
3.Paul Broderick
2.Dale Weightman
1.Shane Edwards (best).

Fair company.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back