Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winterbottom/Richards

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What rule is broken exactly?

10.2.2.3 Maintain a maximum distance of 5 Car lengths from the Car in front.
But that rule is hard to enforce until they get within that length.

I'm not suggesting his car was overheating either, that was Ryan Story digging a hole for himself.

T8 did so in NZ last year, I think JW held the field back a long way and was penalised like Fabs was.... Also they did the same at Bathurst in 2015.

My precious Ford..... god you're a child.

Gee, a few people getting wound up here over the usual media beat-up and deliberate misrepresentation for the sake of a story.

Fact 1: Car #12 was found to have breached rule D24.1 in regards to acceptable practices while following a safety car and was penalised accordingly during the race.
Fact 2: The penalty was mainly due to race stewards determining the telemetary data and related evidence from Car #12 did not support the claim from the DRJ team that the car was suffering from over heating.
Fact 3: Race stewards then referred their findings (together with all other race incidents as normal process) to CAMS who are now investigating whether the actions of Car #12 could of affected the outcomes and final results of the race - taking into account there were three subsequent safety cars deployed after the incident.
Fact 4. Until the investigation is completed, on 20/10/19, DJR Team duo Scott McLaughlin and Alex Premat are the provisional winners, with Coulthard and his co-driver Tony D’Alberto sixth.
Fact 5. Cars finishing 1-2-3 throughout the season are required to make their cars available for technical inspection and analysis after every race. Whether or not these inspections take place on all or any cars is at the discretion of race stewards.

Opinion.
Despite the media ignoring most of the above 'facts' and speculating that it is 'highly likely' that Car #17 and/or Car #12 will be disqualified - the reality is, judging by similar incidents and rulings over the past few years, AT WORST, the DRJ team cars/drivers will be fined and lose some championship points.

Even if CAMS conclude that the DRJ team issued an instruction to the Driver of Car #12 to go slow which created an unwarranted large gap between Cars #17 and Car #12 for tactical reasons, it's 'highly unlikely' given the unknown future race permutations that CAMS can/will disqualify either car....

Last edited:
They do, go through history and see how many times teams have done it. Ferrari, Benetton, McLaren, T8, Prodrive, Ganassi..... they've all done it.

They broke the rules on Sunday, I don't see anyone here questioning that at all. You're picking fights you don't really have any authority to do so, especially for someone rarely seen on this board.

You have listed about 8 teams..... what about the other hundreds of Motorsport teams?
Flavio was banned from F1 for race fixing like that.

Gee, a few people getting wound up here over the usual media beat-up and deliberate misrepresentation for the sake of a story.

Fact 1: Car #12 was found to have breached rule D24.1 in regards to acceptable practices while following a safety car and was penalised accordingly during the race.
Fact 2: The penalty was mainly due to race stewards determining the telemetary data and related evidence from Car #12 did not support the claim from the DRJ team that the car was suffering from over heating.
Fact 3: Race stewards then referred their findings (together with all other race incidents as normal process) to CAMS who are now investigating whether the actions of Car #12 could of affected the outcomes and final results of the race - taking into account there were three subsequent safety cars deployed after the incident.
Fact 4. Until the investigation is completed, on 20/10/19, DJR Team duo Scott McLaughlin and Alex Premat are the provisional winners, with Coulthard and his co-driver Tony D’Alberto sixth.
Fact 5. Cars finishing 1-2-3 throughout the season are required to make their cars available for technical inspection and analysis after every race. Whether or not these inspections take place on all or any cars is at the discretion of race stewards.

Opinion.
Despite the media ignoring most of the above 'facts' and speculating that it is 'highly likely' that Car #17 and/or Car #12 will be disqualified - the reality is, judging by similar incidents and rulings over the past few years, AT WORST, the DRJ team cars/drivers will be fined and lose some championship points.

Even if CAMS conclude that the DRJ team issued an instruction to the Driver of Car #12 to go slow which created an unwarranted large gap between Cars #17 and Car #12 for tactical reasons, it's 'highly unlikely' given the unknown future race permutations that CAMS can/will disqualify either car....
Decent post, surely the general view isn't that they are likely to be disqualified? I would have it at about a 5% chance?
Ive also seen people mention that there were 3 subsequent safety cars as if thats supposed to justify the end result?
Surely it doesnt matter if there was 0 or 25 subsequent safety cars.

10.2.2.3 Maintain a maximum distance of 5 Car lengths from the Car in front.
But that rule is hard to enforce until they get within that length.
This rule only applies when you’re behind the safety car.

Decent post, surely the general view isn't that they are likely to be disqualified? I would have it at about a 5% chance?
Ive also seen people mention that there were 3 subsequent safety cars as if thats supposed to justify the end result?
The point being that you can't actually say it determined the course of the race because there's far too many variables.

There's a decent chance that if Whincup doesn't put the foot down and fuel saves he wins, or if he puts fresher tyres on when he does, he might have had enough to pass the 3 in front of him and won. Hell if Scotty doesn't botch his last stop he comes out in front..... Golding doesn't have an issue he might win.

There's too much uncertainty to strip a race winner, but the team should cop it hard for trying.

Much to the media's disappointment (and possibly a few Holden fans) I seriously doubt neither car will be disqualified.

Number of subsequent safety cars after the incident 'shouldn't' matter, correct. I mainly included this in my 'facts' list because the media fail to mention this anywhere as it doesn't suit the 'narrative' of their story - whereas nearly every related article includes Larry Perkins's quote saying car #12's actions were 'disgraceful'!

Consider, if you've just come off a coma and have only read the media's spin on this apparent controversy then you could easily conclude that car #12 deliberately held up the entire field which enabled his team mate to win by half a lap!!!
I'm convinced that some sports journalists rely on the fact that people haven't even watched the event, be it an AFL match or Bathurst etc...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do wonder too whether if the cars are in opposing positions whether they'd have asked Scotty to slow up..... I doubt it.

They were trying to be too clever, if he had held his 10 car lengths as he needed to there's a fair chance the order would have remained very similar if not the same.

They screwed Coulthard, I would imagine he is pretty filthy with the team currently, as will Scott be in the extremely unlikely event they DQ him.

You can't disqualify the Penske cars form the results. But having seen the ramifications of such actions from Coulthard, you put in a rule saying that if you can't keep up a reasonable pace at any stage, you get out of the way and let the cars behind pass.

Then you add another rule to say that if it happens again, Deadly Blood must hire a bobcat to remove the sand from their panties.

You can't disqualify the Penske cars form the results. But having seen the ramifications of such actions from Coulthard, you put in a rule saying that if you can't keep up a reasonable pace at any stage, you get out of the way and let the cars behind pass.

Then you add another rule to say that if it happens again, Deadly Blood must hire a bobcat to remove the sand from their panties.

Agree and if either car, specifically McLaughlin, is disqualified then the fall-out for the sport will be devastating.
CAMS simply won't allow that to happen.
I predict in a cleverly worded statement CAMS will announce that they were unable to determine beyond reasonable doubt that the actions of car #12 did affect or influence the overall race results. However DJR Team Penske have been fined ($XXX,000) for not adhering to the rules as prescribed in D24.1.1 which may have interfered with such results and as a further consequence one (or both) driver/s will have championship point deductions from their respective outcomes.

End of story, see you next year...

Last edited:
I guess the question you all have to ask yourselves is if this were RBR doing the exact same to assist Whincup win..... would you feel the same? And would you be happy with a fine and loss of team points?

I guess the question you all have to ask yourselves is if this were RBR doing the exact same to assist Whincup win..... would you feel the same? And would you be happy with a fine and loss of team points?
It's happened in NZ, you deal with it and move on.

No one then wanted them excluded from the race, they got penalised on race day and that's enough.

Back