AFLW Draft 2019 10:40am Tuesday 22/10

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2019 NAB AFLW Draft will be held on Tuesday, October 22 from 10:30am in the Victoria Pavilion at Melbourne Showgrounds.

Thought we could share resources for checking out prospective draftees and sharing contenders.

AFLW draft news site

So far we've picked up a couple of rookies (thanks to Aph and J for not missing the news)

Grace Egan from Shepp, another Rugby 7's player Katie Harrison and an Irish lass Joanne Doonan

For your exploration;

Draft combine results

Scouting notes from afl draft central

I'd like us to continue to load up on the youngsters. Their skills and game sense are so much better for having the opportunity to play in their teens.

We’ve got picks 2, 26, 36, 44, 52 and 59.

We also had pick 13, but we put in a bid for Grace Egan, who was a part of Richmond’s academy, and the Tigers didn’t match.

Sounds like the top 3 prospects are Gabby Newton (key forward), Georgia Patrikios (wing) and Lucy McEvoy (utility).

All have nominated for the Melbourne Metro draft pool, with McEvoy being a surprise given she’s from Geelong.

The anaerobic testing looks very good compared to the boys, but the endurance testing is extremely poor, particularly the 2km.

It doesn't matter as much for the reduced format currently, but if the league wants a 14 or 18 competition by 2022, they need to get serious about which part of the calendar the matches are played in, and the length of said games.

No more T20 format for the premier women's football competition thanks.

One Georgia Patrikios please.

Agreed. Best friends with Prespakis and Blues supporter growing up, so we won't lose them.

I know we could do with a Bri Davey type big body, but we definitely need some outside run and Patrikios has burst speed we lack.

Either of the top 3 prospects would fit in to our side, key forward, big bodied mid, outside pacy mid but we should play it smart. Really hope the Dogs see it this way too and let her slide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping the dogs choose McEvoy given they just lost Katie Brennan to the tigers ad need that utility role.

But yeah, it could go either way.

Thrilled for the women getting their opportunity, but holy crap they need to put a bit more effort into this shindig.

Only seem to have photos of the Victorian players, hosts haven't even heard of every third or fourth player, and are looking them up on Facebook to try and offer some info?!

I'd be pretty put out if I got drafted at Pick 35, the hosts looked at eachoher saying "Do you know anything about that player?", "Nope, but I can tell you their club had a tough season..." - and then the player picked at 36 had their photo displayed and got talked about in glowing terms for their ability to play in three positions and blah blah blah.

Can't have been that hard to get every player who nominated to submit a photo (from their respective club's team photo shoots) and a short paragraph from their most recent coach about their position and strengths.

No.2 – Lucy McEvoy (Geelong Falcons)
No.13 – Grace Egan (Richmond VFLW)
No. 26 – Brooke Vernon (Dandenong Stingrays)
No. 36 – Sharnie Whiting (Williamstown VFLW)
No. 44 – Serena Gibbs (Eastern Ranges)
No.52 – Vaomua Laloifi (Western Bulldogs VFLW)
No.59 – Courtney Jones (Southern Saints VFLW)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back