Opinion Your best team based on players you've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

ANDREW McLEOD , STEPHEN SILVAGNI , GAVIN WANGANEEN
BRUCE DOULL , ROSS GLENDINNING , KENNY HUNTER
ROBERT FLOWER , GREG WILLIAMS , NICKY WINMAR
WAYNE JOHNSTON , WAYNE CAREY , GARY ABLETT
LEIGH MATTHEWS , TONY LOCKETT , KEVIN BARTLETT
DEAN COX , CHRIS JUDD , MICHAEL VOSS (Captain)
MAURICE RIOLI , CYRIL RIOLI , GARY ABLETT , GARRY WILSON

EMERGENCIES:

SIMON MADDEN
LANCE FRANKLIN
GLEN JAKOVICH
GUY MCKENNA

ANDREW McLEOD STEPHEN SILVAGNI GAVIN WANGANEEN
BRUCE DOULL ROSS GLENDINNING KENNY HUNTER
ROBERT FLOWER GREG WILLIAMS NICKY WINMAR
WAYNE JOHNSTON WAYNE CAREY GARY ABLETT
LEIGH MATTHEWS TONY LOCKETT KEVIN BARTLETT
DEAN COX CHRIS JUDD MICHAEL VOSS (Captain)
MAURICE RIOLI CYRIL RIOLI GARY ABLETT GARRY WILSON

EMERGENCIES:

SIMON MADDEN
LANCE FRANKLIN
GLEN JAKOVICH
GUY MCKENNA

Cox ahead of Madden & Dempsey?...If you saw enough of Doull, Flower & Matthews, then you saw Dempsey.

6 Blues players from a Blues fan is understandable, I guess.....Obviously you missed out on Jezza.

Cox ahead of Madden & Dempsey?...If you saw enough of Doull, Flower & Matthews, then you saw Dempsey.

6 Blues players from a Blues fan is understandable, I guess.....Obviously you missed out on Jezza.
I did not see enough of Dempsey career to include him but heard he was one of better rucks in 70's. Jezza, I saw the very end of his career as a veteran , captain-coach. The highlights of him in his youth, leave me in no doubt that he along with Gary Ablett Senior most skillful players caught on film. But cannot include him as probably saw bits and pieces of 20 to 30 games at most of him on tv replays as a kid.
Madden and Cox is toss of coin really. I feel bad leaving Malcolm Blight out the most. But could not fit him in when include Gary Ablett senior that played same spots.

ANDREW McLEOD , STEPHEN SILVAGNI , GAVIN WANGANEEN
BRUCE DOULL , ROSS GLENDINNING , KENNY HUNTER
ROBERT FLOWER , GREG WILLIAMS , NICKY WINMAR
WAYNE JOHNSTON , WAYNE CAREY , GARY ABLETT
LEIGH MATTHEWS , TONY LOCKETT , KEVIN BARTLETT
DEAN COX , CHRIS JUDD , MICHAEL VOSS (Captain)
MAURICE RIOLI , CYRIL RIOLI , GARY ABLETT , GARRY WILSON

EMERGENCIES:

SIMON MADDEN
LANCE FRANKLIN
GLEN JAKOVICH
GUY MCKENNA

Love the Garry Wilson selection mate. Could have easily been a multiple Brownlow winner. An absolute champion.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a bad team but lol@Leon Davis
Jetta and Greene probably not at the level butfilezilla uc browser rufus Greene plays the flank as good as anyone I've seen and Jetta is the best shutdown small defender IMO because he uses the ball so well and doesn't seem to lose many 1v1s, although Grimes is very, very good I think he partly benefits from being in the best defence in the league.

Last edited:
malthouse scarlett enright
croswell knights ayres
greig raines schimmelbusch
G.ablett(snr) carey mercuri
bartlett lockett templeton(foots)

s.madden blight matthews

inter : black voss matera a.edwards(richmond 75-78)

Have to say, Mercuri stands-out here as a player who simply doesn't belong in this company, like the proverbial sore thumb actually....And Malthouse isn't far behind him either.

Have to say, Mercuri stands-out here as a player who simply doesn't belong in this company, like the proverbial sore thumb actually....And Malthouse isn't far behind him either.
[/QUOTE
well it is about who the individual cosiders to be the best theyve seen,, silky mover mercuri,was a good watch & could play imo,
on mick..only reason carlton won '82 GF was becos bourke broke malthouses collarbone last training drill on the thursday,marcou ashman,sheldon etc slept like babies knowing mad mick wasnt gonna be there clipping them all day,becos hed done it all year,lets just say that mosquito fleet walked a foot taller that day on the abscence of malthouse,thats y i rate him... i went to every game that year,HE was the difference,not taylor being left out

Last edited:

C'mon man, I can name 2 far superior half forward flankers from the Hawks, right off the bat: Gary Buckenara & Darren Jarman.....And there'd be a dozen more from other clubs over the years far more worthy.....Much as there'd be at lest 20 far superior back pockets to Old Micky Malthouse.

C'mon man, I can name 2 far superior half forward flankers from the Hawks, right off the bat: Gary Buckenara & Darren Jarman.....And there'd be a dozen more from other clubs over the years far more worthy.....Much as there'd be at lest 20 far superior back pockets to Old Micky Malthouse.
lol mick was backline boss...jarman and buckenara were good..but i'll stick..u barrack for hawthorn..its understandable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Gary Ayres, David Dench, John Rantall
HB: Bruce Doull, Peter Knights, Francis Bourke
CT: Keith Greig, Sam Mitchell, Robert Flower
HF: Alex Jesaulenko, Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett Snr
FF: Leigh Matthews, Tony Lockett, Jason Dunstall
Ru: Gary Dempsey, Malcolm Blight, Kevin Bartlett

Int: Lance Franklin, Gary Ablett Jnr, Simon Madden
sam mitchell???played in an era when theres 6-8 midfielders,not including wingmen..no opponent ,loses points for that unfortunately
jurys out on dempsey??
Flower wouldnt get to tie schimmelbusch or greigs bootlaces...good player in s**t teams

sam mitchell???played in an era when theres 6-8 midfielders,not including wingmen..no opponent ,loses points for that unfortunately
jurys out on dempsey??
Flower wouldnt get to tie schimmelbusch or greigs bootlaces...good player in s**t teams

Mate, Flower had 10x the natural ability & grace of Schimma.....Schimma was all heart, soul, guts & determination.....Lets get real here.

Sam Mitchell was the single most important cog in leading the Hawks to the Triple Crown…..His finals record even surpasses Matthews & Knights for high-end consistency, throughout our clubs storied history....His 5 club B&F's in an era of champions, is second only to Leigh Matthews.

Mate, Flower had 10x the natural ability & grace of Schimma.....Schimma was all heart, soul, guts & determination.....Lets get real here.

Sam Mitchell was the single most important cog in leading the Hawks to the Triple Crown…..His finals record even surpasses Matthews & Knights for high-end consistency, throughout our clubs storied history....His 5 club B&F's in an era of champions, is second only to Leigh Matthews.
mate when i was a kid kicking cans & stones around the outers in the 70's we all pretended to be knights or bartlett,grieg,shcimma,hudson or lethal or the ghost or blight...no one ever wanted to be robert flower..no disrespect

mate when i was a kid kicking cans & stones around the outers in the 70's we all pretended to be knights or bartlett,grieg,shcimma,hudson or lethal or the ghost or blight...no one ever wanted to be robert flower..no disrespect

That's because he played for a cellar-dwelling, unglamorous club, that spent almost the entire 70's rooted to the bottom half of the table.

The true test came when he represented the Vics, where he showed up the best of the best, as the most highly-skilled wingman in the history of the comp.

B: Gavin Wanganeen - Stephen Silvagni - Matthew Scarlett

HB: Paul Roos - Glenn Jakovich - Andrew McLeod

C: Peter Matera - Greg Williams - Chris Judd

HF: Gary Ablett Sr. - Wayne Carey - James Hird

F: Jason Dunstall - Tony Lockett - Peter Daicos

R: Simon Madden - Michael Voss - Gary Ablett Jr.

I: Nathan Buckley - Paul Salmon - Mark Ricciuto - Robert Harvey

That team up against West Coast's best team right now, can't see West Coast getting within 5 goals of them.

Madden v Naitanui, Madden would win that battle and then good luck preventing Voss, Ablett, Harvey, Buckley and Roo from winning the contested footy.

Players I’ve seen

Enright Scarlett hird
Hodge (c) rance McLeod
Judd Buckley richo
Voss n Riewoldt buddy
Boomer Lloyd Stevie j
Cox Ablett Jnr Mitchell
Dusty pendles Pavlich Goodes

Good luck going up against these boys
Yes dusty may be premature but when he’s done the pick will be validated

B Rance Silvagni Wanganeen
HB Hodge Jakovich McLeod
C Judd Williams Matera
HF Ablett Snr Carey Hird
F Dunstall Lockett B.Harvey
R Cox, Buckley, Ablett Jnr
I Voss, Martin, R.Harvey, Goodes
E Cousins, Black, Pendlebury, Salmon

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

B Rance Silvagni Wanganeen
HB Hodge Jakovich McLeod
C Judd Williams Matera
HF Ablett Snr Carey Hird
F Dunstall Lockett B.Harvey
R Cox, Buckley, Ablett Jnr
I Voss, Martin, R.Harvey, Goodes
E Cousins, Black, Pendlebury, Salmon

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm guessing you forgot about Buddy....Has Hird covered easily.

B: Gavin Wanganeen - Stephen Silvagni - Matthew Scarlett

HB: Paul Roos - Glenn Jakovich - Andrew McLeod

C: Peter Matera - Greg Williams - Chris Judd

HF: Gary Ablett Sr. - Wayne Carey - James Hird

F: Jason Dunstall - Tony Lockett - Peter Daicos

R: Simon Madden - Michael Voss - Gary Ablett Jr.

I: Nathan Buckley - Paul Salmon - Mark Ricciuto - Robert Harvey
Very similar team to my own. I’ve copied my team directly from a thread I have on this ‘Lists’ page

Best Combined Team since 1980
Wanganeen Scarlett Fletcher
McLeod G Jakovich Roos
Pe Matera Williams Voss
Hird Carey(c) Ablett Sr
Matthews Lockett Franklin
S Madden T Watson Ablett Jr
Buckley Salmon Judd Goodes

Emerg: Blight Quinlan Doull Dunstall

2nd XXII
Enright Silvagni Archer
Doull Glendinning Hodge
Flower S Mitchell Akermanis
Blight Kernahan N Riewoldt
Daicos Dunstall Quinlan
Cox R Harvey D Jarman
Brereton Bartlett Pavlich Ricciuto

Emerg: Black Lloyd Dangerfield Martin

Players that I have that you don’t are 2 Bombers who I may be accused of bias for including but don’t really give 2 rats about because they were absolutely worthy - Tim Watson and Fletch. I’ve also included Matthews, Franklin and Goodes. I had Daics in my team for a long time before I included Buddy so we were very similar. You must be of similar vintage.

Seems that you’re still strangely intent on bagging other posters’ affinity with the sublime talents of Mercuri. He was a gun, deal with it.

Mercuri was better than Bucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back