The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
The NRL Nines are returning in 2020 to be played in Perth. Here is the new logo for the tournament.
9F38E9ED-1E6D-4CD3-84EA-EA753C3A2A14.jpeg

Made the trip to Adelaide for the FFA Cup final and to kill time while my room gets ready, thought I’d give that logo a sus. Doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere because it’s everywhere. Keychains, shirts, signs, coasters etc
f1c990f293f04fbf6d67108679e0d7e8.jpg

Also saw a Guernsey Pr0n addition
eb97fa04a6811c9b69d5bbe74b5b29d4.jpg

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Made the trip to Adelaide for the FFA Cup final and to kill time while my room gets ready, thought I’d give that logo a sus. Doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere because it’s everywhere. Keychains, shirts, signs, coasters etc
f1c990f293f04fbf6d67108679e0d7e8.jpg

Also saw a Guernsey Pr0n addition
eb97fa04a6811c9b69d5bbe74b5b29d4.jpg
What did you think of the heritage/history on display? I love losing track of time in that space!

What did you think of the heritage/history on display? I love losing track of time in that space!

Happy to see the real Nike heritage ones with my eyes. Enjoyed looking at that more than what Melb City put on tonight. Especially the old trophies, footballs (Yellow Ansett one stood out for me) and the S.A state jumpers. I’m intrigued by the middle one. Either that Vee was yellow and faded or it was meant to be white. I went up close to it, it didn’t look off to me.
5bda2884037d20044866811698d24ba9.jpg

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
It looks as if Carlton has ditched the logo with the wreath in favour of just the CFC
View attachment 772908
Once it's on the AFL website it's official!
Terrible choice by the club. The retro monogram works on a jumper because of its ruggedness and affinity with a time when jumpers could only be crudely (by today's standards) made (see the old Saints crest as another example of this). It does not work at all when reproduced on media or documents, where applications can and should be more refined.
Now they have shot themselves in the foot in the name of brand consistency, banishing the laurel and monogram logo which has been associated with the club since the early 20th century.
9676cd60a6e00769dbc7b08c43364ddd.jpg
be3d839bc33cfa533272998c1118f358.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
Hope we keep the old logo, and the AFL site update is just a secondary logo make the site cleaner.
It's a no-show on the team website and none of the just released Puma gear features the laurel and monogram logo. I am dumfounded that a club like Carlton fail to understand basic design principles and the importance of history. It's akin to Coca Cola ditching their script logo.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
It's a no-show on the team website and none of the just released Puma gear features the laurel and monogram logo. I am dumfounded that a club like Carlton fail to understand basic design principles and the importance of history. It's akin to Coca Cola ditching their script logo.
See I don't think so. Most people recognise the CFC and the laurel etc is just extra stuff they probably don't even see. Whereas the script IS the logo. Historically yeah I get it but I don't think most people will notice because it's just the stuff "around the logo" to them.

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
See I don't think so. Most people recognise the CFC and the laurel etc is just extra stuff they probably don't even see. Whereas the script IS the logo. Historically yeah I get it but I don't think most people will notice because it's just the stuff "around the logo" to them.
The wreath logo has been around in some form since at least 1905. I doubt people simply 'don't even see it'.
Let me rephrase, It's akin to Coca Cola ditching their script logo and replacing it with a crude reproduction from the 1920s meant for a specific and completely different application.

Carlton just needed to put the monogram thats on the guernsey into the wreath
The issue with that is it makes the CFC look lopsided. The stem of the 'F' isn't perfectly centred, whereas the monograms from 1998-2014 is more central and aesthetically pleasing.

Back