Bigfooty Official Phantom Draft - recruiter notes

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hi all,

This year as per tradition I'm recruiting for Collingwood in the annual Bigfooty Official Phantom Draft.

A link for all those who wish to follow it: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-phantom-draft.1231744/

--
My first selections:

And here I had planned all day to take Byrnes, sure he would be there.

Pick 35 - Collingwood (bid on) Bigoa Nyuon (St Kilda NGA)
For those wanting a quick insight: he's a taller, more athletic and a more talented footballer than Aliir Aliir, reading it a lot better than Aliir Aliir did at the same age.

Ysaye do you match?

**Ysaye matched.
Therefore...

#36 - Collingwood - Jack Mahony

Best position:
General forward/inside midfield

Height, weight: 178cm, 72kg

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Projected draft range: 25-50

Plays like: Jack Higgins

October Rankings: 26

Strengths: Crumbing, ground ball winning, forward pressure, tackling, precision kick placement out in front of targets to lead onto, decision making, vision, football IQ, creativity, agility, work rate, best suited as a forward but able to push up through the midfield

Weaknesses: Height, scoreboard impact, reliable but not dominant overhead mark, speed, athleticism

--
Rationale: Feeling Collingwood are a good crumbing forward short I like the fit the crafty Jack Mahony provides. He's ready made and can contend with the likes of Josh Thomas and Callum Brown if not displace them from the senior side next season as someone who compliments Collingwood's marking forwards. Mahony is ideally suited as a front and centre crumber, a missing link in Collingwood's best side, and arguably Mahony can this better than any existing player on the club's list.

I've made the comment before, but I slightly favour Mahony to the more highly touted and likely top-15 selection Cody Weightman with my view being that while he's not nearly as athletic, Mahony is the better footballer.

--
Feel free to ask your draft about my thought process with the bigfooty phantom draft, who I would select or just general draft questions about any prospects of interest and I'm more than happy to answer.

Or alternatively you can post in my main draft thread here and see all my AFL draft articles/rankings/phantom drafts etc here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2019-draft-almanac.1211854/

Small pressure forward who lacks scoreboard impact. Sounds like the second coming of Jarryd Blair. Can’t say I’m inspired by your selection when a player as dynamic as Pickett was still left on the board...

Hi all,

This year as per tradition I'm recruiting for Collingwood in the annual Bigfooty Official Phantom Draft.

A link for all those who wish to follow it: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-phantom-draft.1231744/

--
My first selections:

And here I had planned all day to take Byrnes, sure he would be there.

Pick 35 - Collingwood (bid on) Bigoa Nyuon (St Kilda NGA)
For those wanting a quick insight: he's a taller, more athletic and a more talented footballer than Aliir Aliir, reading it a lot better than Aliir Aliir did at the same age.

Ysaye do you match?

**Ysaye matched.
Therefore...

#36 - Collingwood - Jack Mahony

Best position:
General forward/inside midfield

Height, weight: 178cm, 72kg

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Projected draft range: 25-50

Plays like: Jack Higgins

October Rankings: 26

Strengths: Crumbing, ground ball winning, forward pressure, tackling, precision kick placement out in front of targets to lead onto, decision making, vision, football IQ, creativity, agility, work rate, best suited as a forward but able to push up through the midfield

Weaknesses: Height, scoreboard impact, reliable but not dominant overhead mark, speed, athleticism

--
Rationale: Feeling Collingwood are a good crumbing forward short I like the fit the crafty Jack Mahony provides. He's ready made and can contend with the likes of Josh Thomas and Callum Brown if not displace them from the senior side next season as someone who compliments Collingwood's marking forwards. Mahony is ideally suited as a front and centre crumber, a missing link in Collingwood's best side, and arguably Mahony can this better than any existing player on the club's list.

I've made the comment before, but I slightly favour Mahony to the more highly touted and likely top-15 selection Cody Weightman with my view being that while he's not nearly as athletic, Mahony is the better footballer.

--
Feel free to ask your draft about my thought process with the bigfooty phantom draft, who I would select or just general draft questions about any prospects of interest and I'm more than happy to answer.

Or alternatively you can post in my main draft thread here and see all my AFL draft articles/rankings/phantom drafts etc here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2019-draft-almanac.1211854/

Not gonna lie, I was a bit surprised with this selection KM. I think we are stacked for small forwards. I could see Daicos filling the crumbrole.
However, you’re the pro. So I’ll back you in.
I’d personally gone with Riccardi (since Jones didn’t slide) or Dyson Hilder (hopefully he’s still at our 2nd pick).

• Banned
Small pressure forward who lacks scoreboard impact. Sounds like the second coming of Jarryd Blair. Can’t say I’m inspired by your selection when a player as dynamic as Pickett was still left on the board...

I can't say I was left inspired by those available. It was that first selection where I felt there was decidedly no value available at my pick, with my final remaining top-20 prospect rated taken the selection before my own.

Biggy Nyuon I would have liked but that was somewhat to my surprise matched, so there wasn't a lot left.

Pickett I'd be more inclined to take as a rookie. He doesn't find enough of it to spike my interest this soon. Hits the scoreboard less, finds a lot less of it, while his pressure is nice he doesn't lay as many tackles. If his numbers were better I'd be more interested but he's a roughly 40-50 on my board because he's talent and good moments over performance, and being that at 171cm, it's hard to trust that scope to improve, as likely it's limited at that size and you're really taking them as they are rather than who you hope they become.

Not gonna lie, I was a bit surprised with this selection KM. I think we are stacked for small forwards. I could see Daicos filling the crumbrole.
However, you’re the pro. So I’ll back you in.
I’d personally gone with Riccardi (since Jones didn’t slide) or Dyson Hilder (hopefully he’s still at our 2nd pick).

Collingwood have a lot of small forwards, but none who can crumb that I rate.

Josh Thomas was good in 2018, but he is a one season wonder. Callum Brown has been barely serviceable and Josh Daicos hasn't played to a best 22 standard either. Atu still needs to prove himself. Hoskin-Elliott I'm fine with playing though I'm not high on. Varcoe probably struggles for a game and it's likely this is his last year. So while there are numbers, I don't look at them as good numbers.

I look at Collingwood's front half core as including De Goey/Stephenson/Elliott. I look at that group as more of a marking group, so with Mahony more a natural crumber that works better for me with Mahony someone I can see earning games ahead of Thomas and Brown and complimenting those other forwards better.

Riccardi I'd consider with one of my later picks if there, but there are still one or two others available I slightly prefer and hope won't get chosen before my next pick.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Why would we take another Small Forward which you say Lack of Kicking Goals for?

I'm not sure where the narrative comes from that Jack Mahony can't hit the scoreboard.

Mahony averaged 1.5 goals per game during last year's U18 Champs and spending a fair bit of time through the midfield this year still averaged 1 per game.

I don't consider Mahony not being able to hit the scoreboard to be an accurate assessment.

I'm not sure where the narrative comes from that Jack Mahony can't hit the scoreboard.

Mahony averaged 1.5 goals per game during last year's U18 Champs and spending a fair bit of time through the midfield this year still averaged 1 per game.

I don't consider Mahony not being able to hit the scoreboard to be an accurate assessment.
You did list 'scoreboard impact' among his weaknesses there, KM, so I guess people are keying off of that. Was that wording a bit misleading, or dated?

You also listed 'precision kicking' as a strength, so maybe you could add some further thoughts on his kicking skills?

Thanks a lot for the thread.

Last edited:

Then why would you list his scoreboard impact as a weakness...? Make up your mind!

• Banned
Then why would you list his scoreboard impact as a weakness...? Make up your mind!

You did list 'scoreboard impact' among his weaknesses there, KM, so I guess people are keying off of that. Was that wording a bit misleading, or dated?

You also listed 'precision kicking' as a strength, so maybe you could add some further thoughts on his kicking skills?

Thanks a lot for the thread.

Alas, it is an old profile taken from maybe August that I haven't updated in a fair while. A quick copy/paste job from my own notes. I've since re-watched last years u18 champs involving the games of those from this years draft and through much of this years again also. Basically it's a story of scoreboard impact would be higher if he played forward more.
I can see him kicking roughly 30 goals per season and averaging something like 1.2-1.5 per game most years which is fine.

As a kick, good finisher, instinctive, not phased by pressure remaining composed. Love his kicking i50. As per my profile, lowers his eyes, has the vision to spot up i50 targets, hits the targets in general play and places it out in front with good placement marking it hard to defend his kicks i50. It's one of his major weapons.

Hi Collingwood Board. Hope you don't mind the intrusion.

I have the task of picking for you guys on the Fremantle Board Mock Draft, and I have to say the picks you hold are pretty uninspiring. For your first pick I have taken Cooper Sharman. From a post by TradeDraft I sensed that you could use another KPF, and while Sharman may not quite be that, he seems likely to add something to a forward line. He almost seems like an over-sized medium forward with his speed and skill-set.

I suspect I am way off the mark with the pick.... but it is damn tricky for you this year; hope your List Managers don't accidentally nod off waiting for their pick to come around.

I have the task of picking for you guys on the Fremantle Board Mock Draft, and I have to say the picks you hold are pretty uninspiring. For your first pick I have taken Cooper Sharman. From a post by TradeDraft I sensed that you could use another KPF, and while Sharman may not quite be that, he seems likely to add something to a forward line. He almost seems like an over-sized medium forward with his speed and skill-set.

I suspect I am way off the mark with the pick.... but it is damn tricky for you this year; hope your List Managers don't accidentally nod off waiting for their pick to come around.
Yeah, you’re way off the mark. Medium forwards are amongst the least of our needs given we’ve already got DeGoey, Stephenson and Will Hoskin-Elliott already running around in our forward 50. Unless he has the scope to grow a few more cm I’d be really annoyed if we took him with our first.

Yeah, you’re way off the mark. Medium forwards are amongst the least of our needs given we’ve already got DeGoey, Stephenson and Will Hoskin-Elliott already running around in our forward 50. Unless he has the scope to grow a few more cm I’d be really annoyed if we took him with our first.
Hmmm. I admit I got thrown by Riccardi selected the pick before, and tbh I think clubs wanting KPFs are likely better waiting for next year. But I do think Sharman has upside, and has differences with those three you mention, but yes not ideal for you.

Add in that Jamie Elliott, despite his size, also plays as a medium forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My next selection:

I'm feeling like I'm in a nightmare.

Well done to the selectors before me. Shute, Riccardi and Baker were the next three on my board. And here I was hoping to get all three with my last three choices. Absolutely filthy not one of them made it through.

I'm well aware there are others that others will like here, but I just don't rate anyone remaining and don't share the optimism of the depth in this draft that others have expressed.

I'm at the stage of draft where I'm taking guys I fully expected to only have to consider as rookies.

#61 Collingwood - Ben Sokol
A goalkicking medium forward, Ben Sokol won the Simpson Medal for best on ground in the WAFL Grand Final. Sokol was the WAFL’s leading goalkicker, kicking 60 goals from 20 games while also taking a competition high 166 marks. A hard-leading forward, Sokol demonstrates a high work rate, has a strong body and has developed a reputation for having the strongest hands overhead outside the AFL.

*35 on my draft board.
--
Rationale:
I can't say I had any intention of selecting Sokol here with my expectation being that I could snag him as a rookie, I'd prefer to take someone of AFL standard who is plug-and-play here rather than speculate on a kid who has a couple of traits with 'yeah buts' which is what's left to my eye.

Sokol is one I loved in his draft year from 2013, and still really like, stepping things up each year.

In Collingwood's front half I don't only rate Sokol ahead of Thomas/Varcoe/C.Brown/Daicos, but I also rate Sokol ahead of Will Hoskin-Elliott and feel that's the spot he ultimately takes as a more complete, consistent and influential player.

Sokol adds further flexibility and weaponry to Collingwood's front half as someone who opponents will find hard to match up against as such a powerful mark and body-on-body player who uses his body so well but then has the endurance to work opponents over. If required while he's only 186cm, he can be a fill-in key forward and provide a focal point as needed, and can play a similar role to De Goey which could allow De Goey (still should be used primarily forward) some more regular midfield stints in 2020.

While Sokol hasn't ever played through the midfield, he reminds me so much stylistically of Dane Swan (the forward from earlier in his career before he became a full-time mid) with his body strength and bodywork, overhead marking, work rate and has those same football smarts and instincts for when to hit the ball or contest on the move and the clean hands in close to take it. Then he's obviously adding to all that the scoreboard impact on a high level.

The forward from early in Swan’s career? I only recall him playing half back and very, very sporadically (and poorly) as a forward before he became a full time midfielder.

Edit: To support, 5 goals and 6 goal assists in his first 30 games before he kicked 19 in 2006 playing as a midfielder (averaged 20+ possessions that year too).

2006-2008 Swan spent time forward. At that stage more than any other his overhead marking and 1v1 bodywork was exceptional. Lost that craft to an extent after that when midfield became his main go in the years after that.
Nup can’t agree. Played predominantly through the midfield at that time, and with the exception of a four game period in 2006 failed to regularly trouble the scorers meaningfully.

Also he was fantastic overhead and in a 1v1 contest the entire way through his career, but that got better as he aged, notably after the sub rule came in and Buckley rested him forward more often.

I’m sorry but there’s really not much in your assessment of Swan’s early career that I can agree with.

Nup can’t agree. Played predominantly through the midfield at that time, and with the exception of a four game period in 2006 failed to regularly trouble the scorers meaningfully.

Also he was fantastic overhead and in a 1v1 contest the entire way through his career, but that got better as he aged, notably after the sub rule came in and Buckley rested him forward more often.

I’m sorry but there’s really not much in your assessment of Swan’s early career that I can agree with.

I won't disagree with you that Swan played 'predominantly' midfielder during 2006-2008, but he did during those years receive considerable stints forward.

What happened after that was Swan started getting used differently, no longer receiving periods forward, he was instead hockey style benched to rest then he would go back on recharged, go another 7-10min and rest and repeat. With most of his goals after that seemingly coming from stoppages or general play as a midfielder.

Swan, as with Buckley did lose to an extent his 1v1 and overhead marking craft, by no means completely, it remained a strength by position, and a relative point of difference, but after that period not quite to the same extent with Swan when exposed to 1v1 marking opportunities no longer winning them as consistently to the same rate to my eye test (would love to see stats on this if anyone has them). 2006-2009 was when Swan took his most marks, not dropping below 160 in any of those seasons, nor dropping below 12 contested marks any of those years. It was during those years his most distinct strength whereas particularly from 2010, but to some extent starting 2009 it became more his contested ball winning in combination with the gut-running he could do for those 7-10min periods, rest and go again, like no one else could.

I agree with you. Early days Swan was a fringe player who played a combination of defemce and forward to a mediocre level. He got himself fit and became one of our greats as a midfielder. Just kept on the move and pounced on balls that bobbled out of the pack better than anyone that I've ever seen play the game. Yep, he was elite one on one, but he never really translated that into being a gun forward. Looked like he should have been able to, probably could have done it, but he never really did.

That stint in 2006 where he kicked a string of goals were midfield goals - he was an unheralded forward-running midfielder who wasn't paid enough respect by his opponents.

Last edited:

you poor bugger. Harrison Jones & Riccardi both get chosen just before your (our) pick.

Dyson Hilder, Liam Delahunty & Darcy Chirgwin are my recommendations for the next pick!

I don't mind the Sokol pick at that stage, I think he'd be a handy addition and I think we should probably pull the trigger on a mature option like him in this draft

Sokol I really like, he's one I hope gets drafted as he's been good for so long and is one of those most elite outside the AFL. Most prolific mark and goalkicker outside the AFL ranks.

Knightmare and any other draft watchers.
A question for you.
If we had the option to trade 2019 2nd (35) and 2020 1st for say a 2019 1st (around pick 14) and 2020 2nd (to maintain points for Reef) would you do it? and who would you pick with this hypothetical 2019 pick 14?

Thanks for your time.

I'd probably hold. The one scenario I'd consider is if Brodie Kemp really drops, or perhaps if Gould drops into the 20s I might be open to moving up.

If nothing of interest is likely to be available at 35 I'd be very much open to moving down and getting a second round 2020 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back