Bigfooty Official Phantom Draft - recruiter notes

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm hoping Dylan Williams falls at 35, could be anything

Williams would be nice at 35. Probably goes somewhere in the 20s. I rate him around 20 on my own board and feel anywhere 30+ he represents solid value.

Collingwood #76 Sam Lowson

In the mix as a forward, Sam Lowson was one of the favourites to feature during the mid-season draft but unfortunately got hurt at the wrong time, hurting his ankle just days before the draft. Dangerous around goal, Lowson is a good finisher, damaging at ground level, a good athlete who possesses speed, a high leap and applies heavy forward pressure.

Position on draft board: 36
--
Rationale: Best available and while not a need after those first two is someone I can justify from the perspective that if he comes good it allows Collingwood to either move less talented forwards out or give the likes of De Goey and Stephenson more time up the field to expand their games and impact games in more ways.

Collingwood lack a good speedy crumber who can bring forward pressure and Lowson is the best and most ready outside the AFL to provide this.

Sokol I really like, he's one I hope gets drafted as he's been good for so long and is one of those most elite outside the AFL. Most prolific mark and goalkicker outside the AFL ranks.

I'd probably hold. The one scenario I'd consider is if Brodie Kemp really drops, or perhaps if Gould drops into the 20s I might be open to moving up.

If nothing of interest is likely to be available at 35 I'd be very much open to moving down and getting a second round 2020 pick.

Does Gould have the athleticism, speed and agility to be a legitimate AFL prospect?

Does Gould have the athleticism, speed and agility to be a legitimate AFL prospect?

He's fast in game. Has an explosive burst of speed and doesn't look slow. Will provide run and carry though his kicking/hard edge is his calling card.

Tested poorly at the combine, but wasn't in great shape going into the draft combine at 106kg following a SANFL League Grand Final win and gaining some kg before the combine. Has since dropped 6kg from reports and improved his conditioning.

Some see red flags due to weight and poor combine results, I see an undervalued, ready-to-go player who can be one of the best from season one and have one of the best careers from this year's pool. A unique who can play general defence/key defence and can take the kickouts and be a primary rebounder from defence or someone will rattle opponents with the physical brand he plays with.

He's fast in game. Has an explosive burst of speed and doesn't look slow. Will provide run and carry though his kicking/hard edge is his calling card.

Tested poorly at the combine, but wasn't in great shape going into the draft combine at 106kg following a SANFL League Grand Final win and gaining some kg before the combine. Has since dropped 6kg from reports and improved his conditioning.

Some see red flags due to weight and poor combine results, I see an undervalued, ready-to-go player who can be one of the best from season one and have one of the best careers from this year's pool. A unique who can play general defence/key defence and can take the kickouts and be a primary rebounder from defence or someone will rattle opponents with the physical brand he plays with.

I was wondering if his condition at combine had a big effect on his testing. If he has demonstrated athleticism outside that he's interesting. Reckon we have too many developing key backs though to properly develop him.

My next selection:

I'm feeling like I'm in a nightmare.

Well done to the selectors before me. Shute, Riccardi and Baker were the next three on my board. And here I was hoping to get all three with my last three choices. Absolutely filthy not one of them made it through.

I'm well aware there are others that others will like here, but I just don't rate anyone remaining and don't share the optimism of the depth in this draft that others have expressed.

I'm at the stage of draft where I'm taking guys I fully expected to only have to consider as rookies.

#61 Collingwood - Ben Sokol
A goalkicking medium forward, Ben Sokol won the Simpson Medal for best on ground in the WAFL Grand Final. Sokol was the WAFL’s leading goalkicker, kicking 60 goals from 20 games while also taking a competition high 166 marks. A hard-leading forward, Sokol demonstrates a high work rate, has a strong body and has developed a reputation for having the strongest hands overhead outside the AFL.

*35 on my draft board.
--
Rationale:
I can't say I had any intention of selecting Sokol here with my expectation being that I could snag him as a rookie, I'd prefer to take someone of AFL standard who is plug-and-play here rather than speculate on a kid who has a couple of traits with 'yeah buts' which is what's left to my eye.

Sokol is one I loved in his draft year from 2013, and still really like, stepping things up each year.

In Collingwood's front half I don't only rate Sokol ahead of Thomas/Varcoe/C.Brown/Daicos, but I also rate Sokol ahead of Will Hoskin-Elliott and feel that's the spot he ultimately takes as a more complete, consistent and influential player.

Sokol adds further flexibility and weaponry to Collingwood's front half as someone who opponents will find hard to match up against as such a powerful mark and body-on-body player who uses his body so well but then has the endurance to work opponents over. If required while he's only 186cm, he can be a fill-in key forward and provide a focal point as needed, and can play a similar role to De Goey which could allow De Goey (still should be used primarily forward) some more regular midfield stints in 2020.

While Sokol hasn't ever played through the midfield, he reminds me so much stylistically of Dane Swan (the forward from earlier in his career before he became a full-time mid) with his body strength and bodywork, overhead marking, work rate and has those same football smarts and instincts for when to hit the ball or contest on the move and the clean hands in close to take it. Then he's obviously adding to all that the scoreboard impact on a high level.

Why take another Mid Size Forward when we already have:

• De Goey
  • WHE
  • Thomas
  • Elliot
  • Daicos

My next selection:

I'm feeling like I'm in a nightmare.

Well done to the selectors before me. Shute, Riccardi and Baker were the next three on my board. And here I was hoping to get all three with my last three choices. Absolutely filthy not one of them made it through.

--

I think this is just another indication that we'll be trading up this year - it might only take a 5-10 pick rise up the draft order to nab someone we want later in the draft.

Whether this is part of any further plans to move up into the top 15-25 picks of this draft is another story, but I can see a draft-day "swoop" happening if there's a player we want and a willing trade partner happy to move say a 3rd round pick this year in a mutually beneficial swap of 2019 / 2020 picks,especially now that clubs have more time to negotiate swaps in this year's draft.

I was wondering if his condition at combine had a big effect on his testing. If he has demonstrated athleticism outside that he's interesting. Reckon we have too many developing key backs though to properly develop him.

Gould projects to play more of a Hurn role. He can play KPP being 192cm and having his 1v1 strength, but he isn't limited to that and was mostly played this year as a general defender with a focus on rebounding more-so.

I'm sure at some stage there will be footage from the u18 champs. While he's a big body, he moved really well during the u18 champs. Worth watching footage to get a feel for his movement, he doesn't disappoint.

I think this is just another indication that we'll be trading up this year - it might only take a 5-10 pick rise up the draft order to nab someone we want later in the draft.

Whether this is part of any further plans to move up into the top 15-25 picks of this draft is another story, but I can see a draft-day "swoop" happening if there's a player we want and a willing trade partner happy to move say a 3rd round pick this year in a mutually beneficial swap of 2019 / 2020 picks,especially now that clubs have more time to negotiate swaps in this year's draft.

Might be a few clubs with similar plans. Potentially one of the clubs with F/S or NGA prospects might be worth talking to. Perhaps Hawthorn or Port Adelaide might be open to persuasion.

• De Goey
  • WHE
  • Thomas
  • Elliot
  • Daicos

Sokol is better than Thomas/Daicos and I'd argue WHE also.

I don’t think he’ll be a key back at AFL level. Probably a 3rd tall/HBF.

I would look more at what he did during Games then look at his Combine Results

IF he is that Good then would he go higher then Pick 61?

I rate WHE quite Highly(Even IF Stats sometimes does not show it). See him as a Game Winner

IF he is that Good then would he go higher then Pick 61?

I rate WHE quite Highly(Even IF Stats sometimes does not show it). See him as a Game Winner

With Sokol what will put off some is age (24) and his speed and agility. He has the endurance and work rate so he'll run all day and is one of those who is quick of mind where it doesn't matter how fast he is. But he's not breaking the lines or doing anything freakish, but is one who does all the basics so well as with a Swan where he brings basically the same things to the table in terms of capabilities and limitations.

Sokol I view as one where some will view him as limited or just a marking forward or just a goalkicker or just a state leaguers, but my view is his game is a lot more complete, advanced and AFL compatible than other recruiters give him credit for.

Sokol I view as one where some will view him as limited or just a marking forward or just a goalkicker or just a state leaguers, but my view is his game is a lot more complete, advanced and AFL compatible than other recruiters give him credit for.
IF we do take Sokol I hope we see him more then just a Marking Medium Forward who can kick a Goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• De Goey
  • WHE
  • Thomas
  • Elliot
  • Daicos
Watch the replay of this years WAFL grand final and then tell me Thomas and Daicos are better players than Sokol, Sokol would allow JDG and others to rotate more through the midfield

Watch the replay of this years WAFL grand final and then tell me Thomas and Daicos are better players than Sokol, Sokol would allow JDG and others to rotate more through the midfield

Whoops. I was thinking of Someone Else.

He's a great mark and kick but also has a good tank, runs his opponents off their feet, good up the line and ready to play, also, he is a great back up to JDG if he gets injured

Or could say he plays De Goeys Postion up Forward so De Goey can go in the Guts

Are you claiming that WAFL football is anywhere near AFL standard? I respect your opinions but that is a fairly risky claim to be making when comparing players at a lower standard of football to AFL players.

One could quite easily make a case that players like Thomas and Daicos would be well performed at that level and I suspect Thomas in particular would likely be a dominant midfielder-forward in the WAFL with the opportunity he would get at that level.

The lack of speed and athleticism are real issues for mine if they are a negative for Sokol - you need to be quick off the mark and agile enough to be able to turn defenders around on repeat leads in today's AFL, especially if you don't have height on your side and rely more on separation.

Are you claiming that WAFL football is anywhere near AFL standard? I respect your opinions but that is a fairly risky claim to be making when comparing players at a lower standard of football to AFL players.

One could quite easily make a case that players like Thomas and Daicos would be well performed at that level and I suspect Thomas in particular would likely be a dominant midfielder-forward in the WAFL with the opportunity he would get at that level.

The lack of speed and athleticism are real issues for mine if they are a negative for Sokol - you need to be quick off the mark and agile enough to be able to turn defenders around on repeat leads in today's AFL, especially if you don't have height on your side and rely more on separation.
Thomas or Daicos wouldn't kick anywhere near 60 goals in the VFL or the WAFL, WAFL is stronger than the VFL, if you are making speed a factor then we might as well delist both Daicos and Thomas, watch the WAFL Grand final and you might be surprised

Gould projects to play more of a Hurn role. He can play KPP being 192cm and having his 1v1 strength, but he isn't limited to that and was mostly played this year as a general defender with a focus on rebounding more-so.

I'm sure at some stage there will be footage from the u18 champs. While he's a big body, he moved really well during the u18 champs. Worth watching footage to get a feel for his movement, he doesn't disappoint.

Might be a few clubs with similar plans. Potentially one of the clubs with F/S or NGA prospects might be worth talking to. Perhaps Hawthorn or Port Adelaide might be open to persuasion.

Another medium defender is hardly a list need of ours but given our draft hand we probably go best available anyway.

I would look more at what he did during Games then look at his Combine Results

I reckon you do both. Gould's condition at the combine leaves uncertainty that would be worrying for a recruiter.

Thomas or Daicos wouldn't kick anywhere near 60 goals in the VFL or the WAFL, WAFL is stronger than the VFL, if you are making speed a factor then we might as well delist both Daicos and Thomas, watch the WAFL Grand final and you might be surprised

Of course they wouldn't - mostly due to the fact that they wouldn't be playing as a permanent hit up forward. I also highly doubt that Sokol would put up the same goal kicking or for that matter marking numbers playing in shittier Melbourne weather for 60-70% of the season.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that the WAFL is stronger than the VFL - maybe from State of Origin results where VFL representative teams are heavily handicapped in terms of who they can select?

I still maintain that if pace and agility is an issue for Sokol as a medium sized hit up forward then that may very well be an issue at AFL level, where he wont have anywhere near as much time and space (and many key backs can run all day just the same as he can).

I've got nothing against him even though the gaudy numbers have really all come in the past season, but I'm wary of him being undersized and not all that quick / agile according to KM's assessment as those are tools an undersized key forward probably needs to have in the modern game.

Another medium defender is hardly a list need of ours but given our draft hand we probably go best available anyway.

I agree with you that Gould isn't a priority. I like him purely on value proposition if he slid into say the 20s. And I wouldn't overpay to move up. I'm not desperate for anyone in particular this year.

Knightmare.. any lads in the draft like the Gimp re? Someone who can like waltz in to the Love Island Villa and create kaos in the sense that all the lads wanna be him and women wanna be with him and s**t like that?

I doubt it re.. when God created me.. he threw away the mould mate.. that's it mate.

Knightmare was Brock Smith on the board at 35?

I’m strong on the need to replenish our small/ medium defensive stocks with Aish and Murray gone, Greenwood’s career on hold for most of 2020 and big Q’s on Appleby I think he’s one that might really appeal to our recruiters. His athletic profile may turn off a few on here, but his R50 numbers look elite and combined with his confrontational approach he has a Vlaustin vibe about him (a lesser talent obviously).

It seems that Pie 4 Life has him in the 25-50 range so he’s one I’ll be keeping an eye on come draft night ala Murphy in 17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back