Roast AFLW Tiresome Debate Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would that outrage anyone?

Predatory behaviour by anyone aimed at children is abhorrent.
This is coming from Papa G, so I’m reading ‘predatory lesbian’ as an exaggeration of ‘a lesbian exists in a place at a time’.

Particularly attached to a rumour reliant on the supposed high respect we should have for an unnamed party

This will cause outrage among a few of you but...

I know of a highly respected ex AFL footballer who in the end didn't let his daughter play AFLW due to the high incidence of predatory Lesbians playing the game.

AM?

Nah it's a grass roots thing.

You can't just pluck the best female athletes in the country at 18, hand them a footy and a cheque of 100k a year and expect good skills. It comes from not taking their footy away when they turn 12/13 but developing them throughout
Young women and girls can choose any sport, and for the same reason why AFL had to be fully professional to get first dibs on young male talent, its the same with women’s sport

AFLW is a clear attempt to become Australia’s dominant winter sport. It shows girls there’s a pathway to something that pays, maybe even better than US basketball or international soccer. It helps with recruitment.

The AFL have also been around long enough, as have its sponsors and advertisers, to know that women are very often the main decision maker for a household. AFL and co want to reach them, and starting young is how.

As for constantly deriding AFLW for free entry, how many other things to we get ’free’ and why? Same reasons.

Google turned free everything for decades into profitability through ad sales. AFLW is on a smaller scale but will do the same.

The only conflict between AFLW players and the AFL is in how quickly to go fully professional, not in doing it at all. Neither side wants to wait for the league’s independent profitability.

Edit: For GremioPower , supply/demand is just a sideshow when you’re looking at market politics and the fight to be market leader. Big companies force out small companies all the time with unsustainably cheap product.

Last edited:
It means the same as in any other sexual predatory way.

Well to me this either indicates that sexual assault/rape/harrassment is going on, in which case it should be reported and I'd be surprised if it was going on as there hasn't been any reports of this thus far to my knowledge.

If it isn't talking about these things then it's a confusing term to use.

As for constantly deriding AFLW for free entry, how many other things to we get ’free’ and why? Same reasons.

Arguing that AFLW should charge entry, either through tickets or donations at the gate, is not necessarily derision. I take this position strongly because I think it is the best pathway forward.

Arguing that AFLW should charge entry, either through tickets or donations at the gate, is not necessarily derision. I take this position strongly because I think it is the best pathway forward.
Why put up barriers to new brand attachment for a trivial volume of income (which it is re:AFL income streams)

Free is always more attractive than $10 off or 80% off.

Young women and girls can choose any sport, and for the same reason why AFL had to be fully professional to get first dibs on young male talent, its the same with women’s sport

AFLW is a clear attempt to become Australia’s dominant winter sport. It shows girls there’s a pathway to something that pays, maybe even better than US basketball or international soccer. It helps with recruitment.

The AFL have also been around long enough, as have its sponsors and advertisers, to know that women are very often the main decision maker for a household. AFL and co want to reach them, and starting young is how.

Google turned free everything for decades into profitability through ad sales. AFLW is on a smaller scale but will do the same.

The only conflict between AFLW players and the AFL is in how quickly to go fully professional, not in doing it at all. Neither side wants to wait for the league’s independent profitability.
I haven't said anything about it being bad for being free, it's at the stage where it needs eyeballs so no I presume you're responding to someone else but just being too lazy to find their quote

You're underestimating that accessibility at a young age is more important than long term career path. You could go play underage girls footy but it was it wasn't as easy as playing underage men's footy. Having heroes and people to look up to is important but they don't need to be paid professionally if you get them enough eyeballs (back to the free is good at this stage)

If it's easier/ as easy to play footy with their friends at primary school and high school/club level than to play netball/soccer/other sports that will go a longer way to increasing the standard and professionalism of AFLW than paying the current players substantially more.

Why put up barriers to new brand attachment for a trivial volume of income?

I think the idea of it being a barrier is highly overstated. Asking adults to throw down a tenner for entry I would say would deter very few people who would be going anyway. Make it under 18s free if you're really worried.

In terms of triviality - in the 2019 AFLW season there were ~250,000 total entries, or around 6500 per match. Even if we assumed that we get an average of $5 out of each punter (which I think is very low), that's $1.25 million. That's not a small amount for growing league.

It's a validation of the concept and would provide a great amount of agency to the players, as well as attracting sponsors and administrators at a much more serious level.

I haven't said anything about it being bad for being free, it's at the stage where it needs eyeballs so no I presume you're responding to someone else but just being too lazy to find their quote
Yeah it was a combined reply, lock me up guv

You’re underestimating that accessibility at a young age is more important than long term career path. You could go play underage girls footy but it was it wasn't as easy as playing underage men's footy. Having heroes and people to look up to is important but they don't need to be paid professionally if you get them enough eyeballs (back to the free is good at this stage)
We have had Auskick for girls for at least a decade. Grassroots is there.

The ’need’ for AFLW players to be paid professionally has nothing to do with football for 12 and unders. For teenagers thinking about their futures it absolutely does.

If it's easier/ as easy to play footy with their friends at primary school and high school/club level than to play netball/soccer/other sports that will go a longer way to increasing the standard and professionalism of AFLW than paying the current players substantially more.
Nope.

Why put up barriers to new brand attachment for a trivial volume of income (which it is re:AFL income streams)

Free is always more attractive than $10 off or 80% off.

I think this is still part of the problem. Once you start charging, you can stop considering how it's doing relative to AFLM because it stands on it's own two feet.

Well to me this either indicates that sexual assault/rape/harrassment is going on, in which case it should be reported and I'd be surprised if it was going on as there hasn't been any reports of this thus far to my knowledge.

If it isn't talking about these things then it's a confusing term to use.

There are certainly these behaviours going on and they have been documented in some cases, but as with 99% of it, most isn't. Women's footy does disproportionately skew compared to the general population. A situation where people are sexually attracted to each other and there is a power discrepancy (yet they have to get physical and often naked together) can't be easily dismissed.

i have seen it within my teams, it is very uncomfortable for some girls/women and they often feel how they feel outside of sport when men do it.

Whether it is enough or dangerous enough to avoid playing altogether is a different issue and one a parent is quite within their rights to assess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the idea of it being a barrier is highly overstated. Asking adults to throw down a tenner for entry I would say would deter very few people who would be going anyway. Make it under 18s free if you're really worried
So you really don’t see a difference between:

’Lets go to this free thing with the kids’

and

’Lets go do this thing that costs $20 just to get in’

as a factor in decision making for the attendees the AFL wants most?

There are certainly these behaviours going on and they have been documented in some cases, but as with 99% of it, most isn't. Women's footy does disproportionately skew compared to the general population and a situation where people are sexually attracted to each other and there is a power discrepancy (yet they have to get physical and often naked together) can't be easily dismissed.

Whether it is enough or dangerous enough to avoid playing altogether is a different issue and one a parent is quite within their rights to assess.

Do you have a link to where it has been documented? Not being a smartass here, genuinely never heard of it in AFLW.

Do you have a link to where it has been documented? Not being a smartass here, genuinely never heard of it in AFLW.
documented as in rumours etc. i think there was a publicised case as well last year. There is a discussion in the AFLW thread.

I see it in the teams i coach, it's a real thing and no more acceptable than if a man was doing it, the difference here is that a man wouldn't have access to the changing rooms.

Yeah it was a combined reply, lock me up guv

We have had Auskick for girls for at least a decade. Grassroots is there.

The ’need’ for AFLW players to be paid professionally has nothing to do with football for 12 and unders. For teenagers thinking about their futures it absolutely does.

Nope.
Agree to disagree
Taking away footy for 95 percent of girls at age 13 did a lot more harm than having AFLW being professional
Also girl participation in Auskick has increased dramatically since AFLW without then being full time professionals

There are certainly these behaviours going on and they have been documented in some cases, but as with 99% of it, most isn't. Women's footy does disproportionately skew compared to the general population and a situation where people are sexually attracted to each other and there is a power discrepancy (yet they have to get physical and often naked together) can't be easily dismissed.
Just like every gay guy is constantly spunking loads every time he’s in a mens changeroom, huh?

So you really don’t see a difference between:

’Lets go to this free thing with the kids’

and

’Lets go do this thing that costs $20 just to get in’

as a factor in decision making for the attendees the AFL wants most?

Not really, no. I doubt it would reduce attendances by more than 10% if there is any effect. I could be wrong, but that would be my guess.

It doesn't change the fact that you could do voluntary payments at the gate anyway so those that want to come in for just about free can - if people want to put in a gold coin, that's fine. Some people would still put in $50. And I still say you would probably get ~$5 per punter on average.

Just like every gay guy is constantly spunking loads every time he’s in a mens changeroom, huh?
if you think the dynamics and numbers are similar then you are being disingenuous.

Six figure sums for at best a 12 week season if you make finals lol carn'

The difference is that in AFLW, Lesbianism is common, open and accepted. In fact it is in most traditionally male sports played by women, soccer and cricket being prime examples. You can not say the same for gay men in the same sports. In fact it is quite the opposite.

Not really, no. I doubt it would reduce attendances by more than 10% if there is any effect. I could be wrong, but that would be my guess.

It doesn't change the fact that you could do voluntary payments at the gate anyway so those that want to come in for just about free can - if people want to put in a gold coin, that's fine. Some people would still put in $50. And I still say you would probably get ~$5 per punter on average.
I reckon the first step in monetising attendance woud be better as AFLW memberships giving you access to seats/good seats/reserved seats. Adding in free attendees until membership is sustainable still makes the crowd bigger and adds to atmosphere (and catering profits because with no entry fee suddenly a hot snack can be on the menu)