Training It’s a big preseason for .......

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Might have a high centre of gravity. The first Hoondi Tuscons that came out had a sticker slapped on the sun visor warning not to corner too quickly or the car would roll. I doubt manufacturers could get away with that today though, and much prefer the Hogan was cooked line.
The high centre of gravity would be enhanced by his big head.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Cripps was a big reason we lost the S/F to Geelong ,he was our worst player ..
that's a big call, meaning he was shut down...or just couldn't be bothered turning up, which of course is highly unusual for a pro-player in a semi-final..?

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Jesse Hogans having a big preseason...
Someone tried to cut fyfe off at an intersection

Jesse had to block for him

The fremantle football club would like to thank this young man for his sacrifice

Its not everyday a superstar of the comp shows leadership like this in the offseason said rick hart as he presented nat fyfe with a plaque commemorating the event.

Im sure i speak for jesse as well said rick as he has learnt by example the sacrifices required to be a fremantle player.

Jesse has been further honoured as nat Fyfes offseason car detailer.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Not sure what the latest height is stated for Harry Edwards but he looks to line up at the same height as Hickey.
1575858246551.png

Harry is now listed at 197 cm and Hickey 201 cm. I have a feeling he is likely to have reached the 200 cm club.

Mattman93

high ceiling
Jun 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Would love to know what the actual thinking is regarding Naitanui's conditioning 🤷‍♂️

Do they just let the bloke do what he wants or something?

You certainly don't hear a peep about him kicking any goals, fitness wise, and never have. Unless it's his ongoing rehabilitation. Which includes ninja flips.

How anyone can justify him being that unnecessarily big, while only playing half games, constantly injured AND coming off 2 knee reconstructions amazes me.

I can't find his previous listed playing weights for each season, only that he's currently still listed as 110kg's which is heaviest on our list, 10kg's heavier than Vardy. If anyone else has access to that kind of information it'd be informative. Particularly since 2015 when his TOG dropped dramatically.

1575868505529.png

3 seasons worth of catch up coming back from injuries, and for reasons known only to West Coast he still rolls around heavier than ever.

For a player who's biggest weapon is his agility and athleticism i'd love to get just a modicum of justification for him being the weight he is.

Way i see it, he should be accountable to his fitness just like any other player. Unless we're happy for another season of minimal TOG from him.

Fold the club.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Would love to know what the actual thinking is regarding Naitanui's conditioning 🤷‍♂️

You certainly don't hear a peep about him kicking any goals, fitness wise, and never have. Unless it's his ongoing rehabilitation. Which includes ninja flips.

How anyone can justify him being that unnecessarily big, while only playing half games, constantly injured AND coming off 2 knee reconstructions amazes me.

I can't find his previous listed playing weights for each season, only that he's currently still listed as 110kg's which is heaviest on our list, 10kg's heavier than Vardy. If anyone else has access to that kind of information it'd be informative. Particularly since 2015 when his TOG dropped dramatically.

View attachment 791234

3 seasons worth of catch up coming back from injuries, and for reasons known only to West Coast he still rolls around heavier than ever.

For a player who's biggest weapon is his agility and athleticism i'd love to get just a modicum of justification for him being the weight he is.

Way i see it, he should be accountable to his fitness just like any other player. Unless we're happy for another season of minimal TOG from him.

Fold the club.

Skinfolds the club.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

View attachment 791234

Fold the club.
It's just the gravity of the situation...what goes up must come down,
110kg going up, 110kg crashing back down...
unless someone took his head off in mid-flight,
in which case that would about 105kg coming back down,
which is arguably better for his knees, but a rather short term solution...

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

View attachment 791234

Fold the club.

He has been (in my opinion) not as fit as he could have been for the bulk of his career. Certainly i have long thought that his aerobic capacity has been second rate and the club has never addressed it
Its been largely overlooked when he was younger because it was overshadowed by the brilliant things he can do
Now that he is getting older, getting injured, it matters that he needs to be lighter and fitter
And yet the club doesnt seem to be able to address it, and Nic absolutely doesn't seem like he wants to do anything about it either
This pre season should really be career defining for Nic, and i cant help but think we will get more of the same; A guy, playing roughly half a game, doing the occasional brilliant thing, and spending too much time on the bench

Would be extremely happy if he proves me wrong

I respectfully disagree.

Maybe when he stops being a professional sportsman sure, he can blow out courtesy if his genetics all he wants.

But when you're supposed to be in arguably the fittest code in the country and you're on $1M a season, surely you're supposed to be the best you can be aerobically.

I get that he can do brilliant things and his tap work is clearly outstanding, but he's covered the ground like a truck for the past few years now and the club seemingly doesn't care.

Be interesting to see how a Grundy or Reilly O'brien endurance type ruckman exploit it this year.

Let's just say i can wholeheartedly understand an oppo supporters opinion of him being overrated. From an outsiders perspective it must seem that way.

Reflecting on his career in a few years time will also be interesting.

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
He's as aerobically fit and lean as he'll ever be.

He has/had all sorts of feet/ankle/knee/hamstring problems. So he won't get much fitter because his body doesn't cope well with heavy workloads and the club knows it and manages him accordingly.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Naitanui?

He's never been our best player. Most important? Sure. Best? I don't think so.
Everyone to their own. All I know is that when "on" Nic can turn a game and in the early part of 2018 before Nic did his knee that Nic had a lot of input into those early wins and helped set us up for the season. Of course others had their input as well, but I wouldn't under-estimate Nic's influence. He makes other players around him grow in confidence - Shuey and the like have admitted this. After Nic's injury of course they all had to learn to adapt and obviously did a marvellous job in managing to win the flag. Every player that year just gave their all.

Everyone to their own. All I know is that when "on" Nic can turn a game and in the early part of 2018 before Nic did his knee that Nic had a lot of input into those early wins and helped set us up for the season. Of course others had their input as well, but I wouldn't under-estimate Nic's influence. He makes other players around him grow in confidence - Shuey and the like have admitted this. After Nic's injury of course they all had to learn to adapt and obviously did a marvellous job in managing to win the flag. Every player that year just gave their all.
I don't disagree. But I think it's more a case of 'important' or 'influential' rather than 'best'.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
He's as aerobically fit and lean as he'll ever be.

Lets be point blank honest here, he absolutely isn't. We all love Nic, and we all know what he can do, so we make excuses about his fitness. And we have for years. Its his genetics we would say, he is a power athlete we would say.........like its absolutely impossible to improve his aerobic capacity any more. Which is nonsense. I would love for the Melbourne fitness boss Darren Burgess (who is internationally rated) to get a hold of him for a pre season.........whats the bet that all of a sudden, by magic, he ends up running personal bests and drops about 5-7kgs? That he is as fit and lean as he will ever be is the same line peddled by the club, and honestly, i think its a cop out.

Its like shooting Bambi, how can the Eagles pull up the clubs favorite son for a lack of fitness when he has never, ever been pulled up before? How can the club call him out on it now, when its been previously done because overshadowed by flashes of brilliance?

If you want an example at another club, look at Lance Franklin right now: Sydney trotted out the line that he was fit when he was really carrying too much weight and doing bugger all at training. This pre season he actually showed up to put in some work and now looks as good, physically, as he ever has.

I would be the happiest supporter if Nic proves me wrong, truly. But i just think we will see more of the same

As good as Nic is (and he is very good), he could be better. Get lighter, get leaner, get fitter. Spend more time on the ground, get to more contests, cover more of the field for a season...........and west coast will win the 2020 AFL flag

Back