Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just skipped 20 pages. If there are any posts I need to know about, like a Jaxon Barham being to blame or anything similar, someone please let me know.
I've been blaming circumcision, but we're both right, as the Beams Barham fued was your classic hoodie versus skivvy stand-off.

Wow, some of the comments here about a Pies premiership player whos obviously going through some serious s**t are brutal. Hopefully he steps away like Jack Steven, Faz, Dusty etc for a bit and gets back to the club. Being around mates at a footy club can often be the best therapy.
I don't get the 'premiership player' bit, I still dislike Thomas and always will.
Liked his time at Carlton more.:D

The snark between posters, the vitriol directed against Beams, the comments on his character and motives by posters who don’t know him etc etc

Best example would be the ongoing criticism of Beams initial move to Brisbane. There was all sorts of speculation at the time this happened that Beams had other motives, that the talk about his fathers illness was a ruse, that he had the all clear from a health
point of view.

Fast forward a few years and his father passes with recurrent cancer. Beams get to spend time with family and a sick father. From that day on there can be no reasonable posting criticising that move.

Still we see in this thread people potting Beams even in retrospect re this. Any post of decency would drop that speculation immediately no matter how they felt about Beams overall.
Whether you like it or not people are entitled to comment on Beams the man because of his track record post 2010,the only reason I would be interested in his mental health is because what sort of detrimental effect it has on Collingwood FC as he has quite a track record on that score.

As others in this thread have pointed out he had only Brisbane as his destination when leaving the 1st time and if we were to pay him out Beams this time would he end up at Essendon mid season a la Mal Michael judging by recent history that could be on the cards.

This all gets back to Beams character and track record not his mental health which is unfortunate but had we done due diligence we would not be having this discourse now,I myself was very much against bringing Beamer home which at this time would have the correct decision.

Another issue you raise is people attacking Beams leaving when his father was ill that is a given that anyone would leave in those circumstances were talking about someones dad,but there are 2 clubs in SE Qld and as a contracted player we should have been able to get the best deal from either club.

Beams came from the gold coast after playing with Southport,I think we did well when he left the 1st time but we have been stitched up completely this time around.

Whether you like it or not people are entitled to comment on Beams the man because of his track record post 2010,the only reason I would be interested in his mental health is because what sort of detrimental effect it has on Collingwood FC as he has quite a track record on that score.

As others in this thread have pointed out he had only Brisbane as his destination when leaving the 1st time and if we were to pay him out Beams this time would he end up at Essendon mid season a la Mal Michael judging by recent history that could be on the cards.

This all gets back to Beams character and track record not his mental health which is unfortunate but had we done due diligence we would not be having this discourse now,I myself was very much against bringing Beamer home which at this time would have the correct decision.

Another issue you raise is people attacking Beams leaving when his father was ill that is a given that anyone would leave in those circumstances were talking about someones dad,but there are 2 clubs in SE Qld and as a contracted player we should have been able to get the best deal from either club.

Beams came from the gold coast after playing with Southport,I think we did well when he left the 1st time but we have been stitched up completely this time around.
As I said from the outset i have no problem people discussing beams the man and footballer. Specific opinions re veracity of his mental health, treatment he is having or his diligence in pursuing them are a no go as nobody knows anything about it or is likely to be qualified to judge.

As to two Qld clubs in the original trade I am struggling to think of any player in recent times who hasnt nominated a specific club and that applies to Melbourne based where thee are a multitude of clubs in much closed proximity. Dont know why Beams is judged for that when no one else is. Especially when you consider his father health. Brisbane was closer to his Dad and that would have likely been a great benefit especially when he was terminally ill and dying.

Ouch, okay. However I don't use that term either.
Ha, all good. maybe im too empathetic towards him. Just feel for the bloke going through this with all the speculation. Now the pressure of wasting 2 first round picks on him will probably be snowballing into all the other s**t hes got scrambled in his head.

Ha, all good. maybe im too empathetic towards him. Just feel for the bloke going through this with all the speculation. Now the pressure of wasting 2 first round picks on him will probably be snowballing into all the other s**t hes got scrambled in his head.
No probs, you have summed it up pretty well.

It is possible to be emphatic and still groan about the trade without the attacks on each other.

If its time we all shut up, then why are you posting? Can we now expect a series of like posts all recommending the maintenance of silence on the subject? And maybe it's not just about what Dayne needs but rather what his teammates want. Who knows?

Discussion about mental illness is generally a positive thing.

You know very well I was talking about HIS INTENT.

That the situation worked out well was FAR from his intent.

Now matter how hard you polish it a turd is still a turd.

Remind me, was Beams still contracted when he asked to be traded to the Bears?

Surely you could have produced a more cleverly relevant example of inappropriate prescriptions than this!! You mentioned the word 'silly' in your reply, but I think this post is about the silliest I have read on this topic. As jmac might say, I'd have thought you capable of better.

Dismiss the threat of smegma at your own peril.

Not suggesting that Connors does. But is it good form for Beams to milk another 3 seasons, take up a list spot at full pay?
I think you're taking a short-sighted approach if you think that taking that option is in Beams best interest.
That would see the club potentially meet the obligation, but cast him aside without support, no potential sponsorship/job at the club and get ignored at 2010 Premiership celebrations by his former teammates. Is that best for a guy who has a vulnerable mental state? I don't think so.

If Beams doesn't play at all in 2020, I think the club will push to off-load at the end of the season. The question is what it costs but most likely a payout hit to the 2020 TPP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the sooky brat who had a swipe at the coach on his way out. Yes he went for personal reasons, but have some respect.

No single individual or their problems are bigger than the club and it’s aspirations. He came to us broken, we paid through the nose to get him...he was supposed to be the difference the player to take us to the next level...had we not done that who knows who we may have been able to lure to the club...Lynch perhaps?

He has just reconfirmed what I thought about him, Thomas and all those that turned their backs when Buckley came in....he’s a self serving piece of s**t.

A quick check of the timeline shows Lynch had already committed to the Tigas well before we locked away Beams.

A quick check of the timeline shows Lynch had already committed to the Tigas well before we locked away Beams.
Lynch to the Tigers was pretty much a done deal the year before he came, Choco let that out of the bag when he was there. Pies just had a throw at the stumps to see if he'd consider coming to them.

I’m not, this is a huge balls up and I’m almost certain that Bucks had no say in this at all. The only good thing to come out of this is that we are now used to playing without him and even when he was playing he added nothing to our midfield.
The bad thing is he’s clogging up our list and taking a pay check for literally doing fu** all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understand why people have certain views about Beams but that's not totally true.

He may not have been at his elite best but 25 disposals and just under 5 clearances is hardly nothing.

Not interested in commenting further on Beams and his situation but I notice suddenly he is being linked with a drug issue. Gambling yes, we have heard a lot about that. But can someone tell me if it is widely accepted there is a drug issue?. I would not have thought so? Am I being naive?

Seems it’s either love or hate here, I’m more toward the middle.

thought the move bringing Beams back was a good one, especially falling short the previous year. Wasn’t a big fan of how he left, some disrespect there. The deal right now looks very ordinary but if he gets himself right there is some definite upside.

i don’t know what he’s going through, don’t pretend to.

Yep, I'm with you and I didn't want him. Can fully understand why we'd welcome him back off the back of his 2018 season.

If you re read my post you will see I didn’t ask people not to discuss mental health. There is no problem with that.

What we would like people to refrain from is making ill informed comments about the specifics of Beam’s mental health issues.

You can discuss his character , positive or negative, and posters can judge that on its merits.

Don’t make judgements on how real or not his issues are, what treatment he is undertaking or how diligently he is taking his recovery. We have no training in the area and no knowledge of what is going on between Beams and his carers.

Talk about mental health management, about your opinion re mental health in our community etc just don’t think that allows you to make any qualified judgements on Dayne’s mental health.
Not to be disrespectful, but I think some of these requests are over the top. It is a discussion forum and I don’t think limits should be placed on what we can say just because you may have a different opinion.

Unless any specific rules are being broken (vitriol at beams I can’t see breaks any rules), then people should be allowed to voice their opinion whether posters agree with it or not.

Re making judgements on how real his issues are, I feel you are using the mental health topic just how he and collingwood want it to be used - to stop all discussion on the topic.

I think we all should be big enough here to handle opinions that we do not share even if they are about topics like mental health.

You have missed the mark on this one, again.

Defending Beams is one thing, but defending the club’s decision making is another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. IMHO the clubs decision to trade him back is easily justifiable whereas defending/attacking him seems to be based purely on individual opinion of the person you perceive him to be.

Not interested in commenting further on Beams and his situation but I notice suddenly he is being linked with a drug issue. Gambling yes, we have heard a lot about that. But can someone tell me if it is widely accepted there is a drug issue?. I would not have thought so? Am I being naive?
There have been drug issues in the past.

He had a mysteriously long quad injury back in 2013 if people remember.

Interested to know whether a player in Dayne’s situation could be placed on the long term injury list allowing a rookie to move n to the senior list.
I assume the answer is no. Perhaps it is something the AFL could consider.

I'd assume the opposite. Depending on medical advise could potentially even get an additional player via the pre-season supp draft or the mid-season draft.

If you could be bothered doing a little basic reading/research (which I find you continually fail at) you will see I haven’t mentioned any disgust for Beams. I comment on what I believe is the right thing to do.
There are people here who obviously think they know Beams a lot better than any of us and so they make comment. If they don’t like the person he is, I don’t know why they should change their opinion because he has an illness. They are mutually exclusive. Why pretend?
I also find it laughable that posters such as yourself shoot down others because you may question their ‘facts’ yet you don’t even know the real facts yourself.
Is Beams doing all he can to get himself healthy? If you say he is, how do you know this? Is this a guess? Is it any different to those who think he could do more?

EFA.

I doubt many if any have any real first hand knowledge.

There have been drug issues in the past.

He had a mysteriously long quad injury back in 2013 if people remember.
I’d love to know how a serious quad injury has anything to do with drugs

Is it really that hard to believe he struggled to get back from what is a tricky injury?

Your constant Beams hate and speculation is growing tiring. Contributing to some other threads would be good... or are you just here to drive his name into the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back