Stopping the Tigers 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Between 1983 & 2016, was anyone concerned how many games Richmond played at the MCG?
No

Did WCE realise that they’d have to travel more than Melbourne based teams when they joined the AFL?
Yes

Did Richmond make the draw for 2019 or any other season?
No

Were WCE responsible for missing a top two spot & 2 Home Finals by losing “at least“ two matches they should have won?
Yes

Why do we have to hear the same crap over & over from West Coast fans??? It’s beyond ridiculous
Probs not cos 9th was a favourite spot. BTW, I have Vic mates who whinged more about the bounty of games at the G. It's not the Tiges fault. It will only be an even comp, when each team plays each other 2x away and at home!!
I love all, west coast and the Tiges of the last 4 years are quality.

Probs not cos 9th was a favourite spot. BTW, I have Vic mates who whinged more about the bounty of games at the G. It's not the Tiges fault. It will only be an even comp, when each team plays each other 2x away and at home!!

Unfortunately the majority of your club’s supporters on here are:
1. blaming Richmond for decisions made by the AFL
2. not acknowledging that we were a pretty decent side in the second half of the season

Being a Richmond supporter, I was cheering the Weagles home against Collingwood in the ‘18 GF ... much rather your mob win than those horrible Magpies

So if each team played home and away (like EPL system), Eagles/Freo would have to travel 16 times, and Vic based club would get more games at the G etc. I can guarantee that “some” Eagles fans would be non-stop complaining about the extra travel/Richmond 22 games (minimum) at the G.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So if each team played home and away (like EPL system), Eagles/Freo would have to travel 16 times, and Vic based club would get more games at the G etc. I can guarantee that “some” Eagles fans would be non-stop complaining about the extra travel/Richmond 22 games (minimum) at the G.

they expect all Melbourne teams to play all the interstate sides away. Which is fine BUT then the whinge will be not enough MCG games

If we played every team twice, H&A, the whingers would still whinge.

Non Vic teams would 'only' play 17 or 18 games at home.

Melbourne teams would play ~21 at their ground, and 25 in their city.

So going by this post season, there would be sooking about getting 25 'home' games.

Reading through this thread has absolutely blown my mind. The amount of sooking from WC fans is shocking! Infact it hasn't stopped for 5 months.
Honestly I thought Geelong were the biggest sooks in the land but surely Chris Scott has rubbed off on the Weagles.
They seem to take no responsibility for their own choking.
Key losses that proved their unsuccessful back to back campaign that they seem to dismiss;

Round 17 - reverse choke from the 18 GF.
Round 22 - lost to the better team in their quest to secure top 2.
Round 23...... Well and truly s**t the bed!
SF - no match for a much superior Geelong outfit.

Only have yourselves to blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought this would be an interesting thread.

then I read it and found it was about WC supporters complaining that Richmond had too many games at their home ground, despite the fact that West Coast derailed their own finals campaign by losing at home. If Richmond had done the same, then like West Coast they wouldn’t be premiers.

Reading through this thread has absolutely blown my mind. The amount of sooking from WC fans is shocking! Infact it hasn't stopped for 5 months.
Honestly I thought Geelong were the biggest sooks in the land but surely Chris Scott has rubbed off on the Weagles.
They seem to take no responsibility for their own choking.
Key losses that proved their unsuccessful back to back campaign that they seem to dismiss;

Round 17 - reverse choke from the 18 GF.
Round 22 - lost to the better team in their quest to secure top 2.
Round 23...... Well and truly s**t the bed!
SF - no match for a much superior Geelong outfit.

Only have yourselves to blame.

Especially the Hawthorn game. Threw away a top 4 finish.

Absolutely no excuse for blowing that.

Especially the Hawthorn game. Threw away a top 4 finish.

Absolutely no excuse for blowing that.
Yep. Would have pushed Richmond out of the four and made it much more challenging for them. Couple that with the last minute brain fart by the Eagles defenders in the Richmond game and they would have finished first and been favourite for back to back.

Instead of looking inward at missed opportunities they blame everything else. Which i don’t mind.

But the repetitive nature of hundreds of posts on the topic by a couple of their supporters is worryingly obsessive. To each their own, everyone has to get their joy in life somewhere- weird way to do it through repetitive bitterness though.

1. Win the ball.

Beating their contested mids (Cotchin, Prestia, Martin, Edwards) is not as easy as it seems, but of the tasks one needs to do to beat Richmond, it's probably the easiest. They're okay at contested ball, not exceptional, but that means next to nothing if you can't...

2. Retain the ball

This is where things get tricky. You've won the ball, now you've got to win it free. You can try a) breaking through the first line of tacklers, but doing so requires players who can keep their feet through the tackle (against tacklers who are trained to bring you to ground, even on glancing contact) or players with pinpoint disposal by hand first, by foot second.

The Dogs and/or Collingwood have established how to beat them in a contested way; beat them around the ball to the extent that sheer effort allows you to win free, winning the ball so much and so often that sheer weight of numbers allows them to win clear, but I feel this is playing their game their way. You're risking getting the panics around the ball, and that is precisely what the Tiger's defensive setup around the ball is designed to generate, and once they've got you, they've got you.

They have the fitness to be patient, and will wait until the final ten minutes of the game if they have to. They'll give Dusty plenty of time off the field, so he's good and fresh for the final term and ready to lead his team on a 6 goal burst late in games.

The key here is one of either GWS or WC. Both teams have the size of mid and the caliber of ball carrier to win the ball and to win it free without doing so by sheer effort alone. The dogs can do this too, but their game is designed to negate turnovers rather than precision, it would require a change of mindset for this to work.

And, finally...

3. Move the ball deliberately forward.

You want to know how to lose games to Richmond? You win the ball, you win it clear, you've got loads of space and plenty of time, but then you waste it all by bombing long, trying to go too quickly. Astbury, Grimes, Houli, Vlaustin, Nankervis (to a lesser extent) and previously Rance intercept, get the ball into one of their quicks hands and out the other side, and it's bit you in the arse on turnover. They do this to isolate Riewoldt/Lynch out against defenders, and both players are exceptional one on one.

You're almost better off letting them win the clearance and cluttering up the back six than you are bombing long. It gives them the space they want, and they will beat you back to their half. You're not winning that battle.

So, you do as Collingwood did, early in 2019. You remain content to wait, to go slow, to play your game. If you can go quick, do so, but always keep your eyes lowered. Trick here is that Richmond's helter-skelter game makes you want to go quick; you've got to move the ball ever faster it seems to beat the tackling ring around the stoppage, and so it becomes infectious. You can see it, halfway through third terms and late in halves of footy; teams unable to see that they're panicking.

You probably need a set of decent onfield leaders for this, so Brisbane is out. WB had the leaders, we'll see if they still do.

Either contested marking, or a forward line willing to sacrifice their games to create space in the back half; take a leaf from Jack Riewoldt, actually. Draw the ball, and the player, but ensure that even if you can't mark the ball be willing to sacrifice your game for the sake of the team and smash the thing into dangerous areas. Have your smalls situated marginally further back than you usually would, and swarm their defence, impeding the switch, and try to prevent that quick movement from the back half.

Seems to me that WC are the team best equipped to do this, but beating Richmond at the G is no small thing. More space there than almost any other ground, and Richmond thrive in space. Still, that's how I think you beat them.

Geelong & Chris SOOK no longer have the mantle of the biggest whingers it is now well and truly been handed over to the overly obsessive Eagle sooks.

Truly regret going for them in the 18 GF as it seems they're just greedy.

I still couldn’t barrack for the Pies against anyone though

1. Win the ball.

Beating their contested mids (Cotchin, Prestia, Martin, Edwards) is not as easy as it seems, but of the tasks one needs to do to beat Richmond, it's probably the easiest. They're okay at contested ball, not exceptional, but that means next to nothing if you can't...

2. Retain the ball

This is where things get tricky. You've won the ball, now you've got to win it free. You can try a) breaking through the first line of tacklers, but doing so requires players who can keep their feet through the tackle (against tacklers who are trained to bring you to ground, even on glancing contact) or players with pinpoint disposal by hand first, by foot second.

The Dogs and/or Collingwood have established how to beat them in a contested way; beat them around the ball to the extent that sheer effort allows you to win free, winning the ball so much and so often that sheer weight of numbers allows them to win clear, but I feel this is playing their game their way. You're risking getting the panics around the ball, and that is precisely what the Tiger's defensive setup around the ball is designed to generate, and once they've got you, they've got you.

They have the fitness to be patient, and will wait until the final ten minutes of the game if they have to. They'll give Dusty plenty of time off the field, so he's good and fresh for the final term and ready to lead his team on a 6 goal burst late in games.

The key here is one of either GWS or WC. Both teams have the size of mid and the caliber of ball carrier to win the ball and to win it free without doing so by sheer effort alone. The dogs can do this too, but their game is designed to negate turnovers rather than precision, it would require a change of mindset for this to work.

And, finally...

3. Move the ball deliberately forward.

You want to know how to lose games to Richmond? You win the ball, you win it clear, you've got loads of space and plenty of time, but then you waste it all by bombing long, trying to go too quickly. Astbury, Grimes, Houli, Vlaustin, Nankervis (to a lesser extent) and previously Rance intercept, get the ball into one of their quicks hands and out the other side, and it's bit you in the arse on turnover. They do this to isolate Riewoldt/Lynch out against defenders, and both players are exceptional one on one.

You're almost better off letting them win the clearance and cluttering up the back six than you are bombing long. It gives them the space they want, and they will beat you back to their half. You're not winning that battle.

So, you do as Collingwood did, early in 2019. You remain content to wait, to go slow, to play your game. If you can go quick, do so, but always keep your eyes lowered. Trick here is that Richmond's helter-skelter game makes you want to go quick; you've got to move the ball ever faster it seems to beat the tackling ring around the stoppage, and so it becomes infectious. You can see it, halfway through third terms and late in halves of footy; teams unable to see that they're panicking.

You probably need a set of decent onfield leaders for this, so Brisbane is out. WB had the leaders, we'll see if they still do.

Either contested marking, or a forward line willing to sacrifice their games to create space in the back half; take a leaf from Jack Riewoldt, actually. Draw the ball, and the player, but ensure that even if you can't mark the ball be willing to sacrifice your game for the sake of the team and smash the thing into dangerous areas. Have your smalls situated marginally further back than you usually would, and swarm their defence, impeding the switch, and try to prevent that quick movement from the back half.

Seems to me that WC are the team best equipped to do this, but beating Richmond at the G is no small thing. More space there than almost any other ground, and Richmond thrive in space. Still, that's how I think you beat them.

👍🏼

Back on topic

So, as a non-Richmond team, do you prepare your game plan to beat Richmond, or do you prepare to beat every other team? With Richmond having a significantly different structure to all other teams, it makes it really hard to design a one-off plan.

So to beat Richmond, you just have to have your own plan that is better than theirs. Don’t worry too much about what Richmond is doing. Just do your own thing. Frankly that’s what all good non-Chris-Scott-coached teams do anyway.

So, as a non-Richmond team, do you prepare your game plan to beat Richmond, or do you prepare to beat every other team? With Richmond having a significantly different structure to all other teams, it makes it really hard to design a one-off plan.

So to beat Richmond, you just have to have your own plan that is better than theirs. Don’t worry too much about what Richmond is doing. Just do your own thing. Frankly that’s what all good non-Chris-Scott-coached teams do anyway.

That makes the most sense to me. Obviously every team has players you would try to nullify to a degree, but otherwise get your game going as much as possible.

Plus playing key defenders on a wing. The competition remains terrified by that stroke of genius.

you design a plan that suits your cattle and your group. Ypu would never design a plan to counter one team. You may make adjustments and minor subtlety to counteract Richmond but ultimately you stick to your guns and your structure and back what you do in

More games for interstate sides at the G in my opinion makes for a fairer comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back