Player Watch Wayne Milera

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Tredders seems to be of the opinion that he's now one of our highest paid players, while Bickley has said the opposite and said he sacrificed a bit of coin for the longer deal.

So I guess all we know is everyone is just guessing!
The Bickley scenario would be the one I'd favour on face value as the more realistic especially after Tex's dig at his press conference re Wayne's partner Nina.

Sounds like wedding bells are on the horizon for Wayne.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is a bit of a strange one, happy with it, but would have expected Milera to go short term, back himself to elevate to the next level and go for the big contract sooner.

So I've got no doubt this is a healthy amount with a bit of potential factored in.

I suppose if he does really step up over the next couple of years he will just negotiate an extension at higher dollars over the last couple of years, and we all know that contracts are fairly meaningless, someone with a 5 year deal could request a trade next year and if not get it, get it the next year.

flashcrow

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#weflyasone
How about "The 3 Milerian dollar man"?
Milerian.png

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
It always makes me happy when Doedee in particular gets around them on twitter.
I think there's a very real chance Doedee could end up our next captain. That would be a pretty good result for a guy who, when drafted, was greeted with Crows fans complaining that we didn't draft some bog average vanilla half back Ryan Burton.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think there's a very real chance Doedee could end up our next captain. That would be a pretty good result for a guy who, when drafted, was greeted with Crows fans complaining that we didn't draft some bog average vanilla half back Ryan Burton.
Very happy with Doedee but Burton ain’t a big average vanilla half back

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He has no standout traits other than his long kicking. I'd take Doedee over him any day.
You might and so would I but he ain’t bog average or vanilla.

He can play on talls or smalls and spanked Tex once. Has decent pace, great kick, can play in defence or up forward. He’s suffered due to injuries as has Doedee but he’s a quality young player.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
You might and so would I but he ain’t bog average or vanilla.

He can play on talls or smalls and spanked Tex once. Has decent pace, great kick, can play in defence or up forward. He’s suffered due to injuries as has Doedee but he’s a quality young player.
We must be watching different players. Burton ain't quick. Not saying he's slow either but speed is not a standout attribute. He also doesn't play forward at Port Adelaide. Yes he's gotten on the end of a few chains and kicked a few nice long goals but that doesn't make him a capable forward. By that defintion Smith and Seedsman would be forwards too.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We must be watching different players. Burton ain't quick. Not saying he's slow either but speed is not a standout attribute. He also doesn't play forward at Port Adelaide. Yes he's gotten on the end of a few chains and kicked a few nice long goals but that doesn't make him a capable forward. By that defintion Smith and Seedsman would be forwards too.
For a tall player he’s got reasonable pace.

Just because he doesn’t play forward at Port doesn’t mean he can’t, he played it as a junior, something Seeds and Smith never did.

But I agree, we must be watching two different players.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Tredders seems to be of the opinion that he's now one of our highest paid players, while Bickley has said the opposite and said he sacrificed a bit of coin for the longer deal.

So I guess all we know is everyone is just guessing!
I think he'd be one of the highest paid in guarenteed salary but per year I wouldn't have thought he would be in the top 10 per year

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
For a tall player he’s got reasonable pace.

Just because he doesn’t play forward at Port doesn’t mean he can’t, he played it as a junior, something Seeds and Smith never did.

But I agree, we must be watching two different players.
Oh the old "he played there as a junior so he can play there in the AFL" argument. Yikes.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Oh the “bog average” player because he’s not on our team. Yikes. That’s something I’d expect from Kristof
Burton probably stacks up against other half backs in the league quite well but he's not quick, he's not a forward and he sure as hell aint no Doedee. My point was that people were wrong to criticise Hamish. He knows better than most of us here on BF.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Burton probably stacks up against other half backs in the league quite well but he's not quick, he's not a forward and he sure as hell aint no Doedee. My point was that people were wrong to criticise Hamish. He knows better than most of us here on BF.
You could have done that without being totally wrong about Burton. What position was he playing when he cleaned up Tex? Half back? Do you think for a tall player he’s slow?

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
You could have done that without being totally wrong about Burton. What position was he playing when he cleaned up Tex? Half back? Do you think for a tall player he’s slow?
I didn't say Burton was slow, and Tex is well past his prime. Beating him is not the achievement it once was. It's not 2012 anymore.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I call him a half back because that's where he plays most of his footy. You seem to take that as derogatory. I never said he was a weak defender but his 1v1 game is just another feature of his game which in inferior to Doedee.
I said he was capable of playing multiple positions. You keep referring to him as a half back. I keep referring to his game on Tex because he played as a KPD.

You called him bog average. I think you’d struggle to find another poster that shared that opinion.

As I’ve said I would take Doedee ahead of him but that doesn’t make Burton bog average.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I said he was capable of playing multiple positions. You keep referring to him as a half back. I keep referring to his game on Tex because he played as a KPD.

You called him bog average. I think you’d struggle to find another poster that shared that opinion.

As I’ve said I would take Doedee ahead of him but that doesn’t make Burton bog average.
He's bog average compared to Doedee anyway. Clarko must not have thought much of him either. How many times do you see a Vic club willingly let go of a gun SA player?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think this was a clever decision by the club:
- Milera already has shown enough potential and is on an upward trend (barring the post-shoulder injury in 2019).
- it seems like an early statement as if to say “we’re in a good space right now and the players are backing as in”.
- hopefully can set up a chain reaction for the other young stars (eg. Fog, Doedee) to join in on the chorus with new lengthy contracts.
- perhaps a statement that the Camp back in 2018 wasn’t as bad as it was blown out to be? Particularly as one of the main issue seem to be a cultural indifference between indigenous players (Betts and Hampton were hinted to be involved) and activities.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I think this was a clever decision by the club:
- Milera already has shown enough potential and is on an upward trend (barring the post-shoulder injury in 2019).
- it seems like an early statement as if to say “we’re in a good space right now and the players are backing as in”.
- hopefully can set up a chain reaction for the other young stars (eg. Fog, Doedee) to join in on the chorus with new lengthy contracts.
- perhaps a statement that the Camp back in 2018 wasn’t as bad as it was blown out to be? Particularly as one of the main issue seem to be a cultural indifference between indigenous players (Betts and Hampton were hinted to be involved) and activities.
Damn John you were so close. The first 3 points actually make sense.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Haha you just won’t quit!

Milera re-signing in 2020 after Pyke resigned and Burton and Campo sacked is evidence m that what happened under their watch in 2018 wasn’t so bad. FMD.

Back