Four Corners - Predators at St Kevin’s

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see the deputy lasting much longer either. If she did block the mandatory reporting of events she will gave to go.
Both the deputy and the head were acting like they could offer up some trite words of apology and everything would be okay.
If that's the attitude at the top, those below who are interested in the boys know they can get away with things

Yep sounds like she's also very much in line for replacement if this allegation is true, fortunately the incoming Headmaster appears to have done the right things at St Patrick's Ballarat and isn't averse to making the necessary changes to clear out the detritus

Every time something like this comes to light we get the same old assurances that measures are now in place to ensure that this will never happen again, until the next time. It's about as convincing as my efforts to stop smoking.

Yep, spot on. It may slowly get better but in the main incidents like this dont make the media and are swept under the carpet. Too many sickos in high places and too much money getting handed around to cover these things up.

Deputy gone.

It is very important that we establish if their someone worse though for Taylor guys

I write to advise that St Kevin’s College Deputy Principal Janet Canny has been asked to step aside from her duties pending an investigation into allegations regarding her handling of a staff member’s complaint.

Mrs Canny strongly refutes these allegations.

The investigation will receive the highest priority and be conducted by professionals external to the College and EREA.

Our students and their wellbeing are our priority and given this latest development, John Crowley will assume the position of Acting Principal of St Kevin’s College today.

John will be introduced to College staff and meet with the leadership team during the day. He will communicate to the broader community of St Kevin’s through the College newsletter later this evening.

Why is it even relevant to this thread?
Deputy gone.

It is very important that we establish if there is someone worse though for Taylor guys
You're completely missing the point of what I'm saying.

The Catholic church is everywhere, there are so many interactions with vulnerable children that their raw numbers are significantly higher than the rest but if the actual rate of offending (as in offenses per child) is lower than some other institution then we need to look at that institution first.

People have been saying in this thread that the catholic church needs to be taken care of because of this, and they should for covering things up, but we need to look at the data and see where the actual worst case is and start there - it might be the catholic church, but just as I expect there are lots more Mormon complaints in Utah - because that's where a lot are - there are a heap of catholic programs running here.

If any group is going to be first on the list of those banned, it should be the worst, not just the most prevalent.

We need mandatory reporting to be enforced or legislated.

Mandatory reporting is legislated with people in numerous professions compelled to undergo professional development/training. This is precisely why there are numerous issues with the culture of both St Kevin's and the wider Catholic Church.

You're completely missing the point of what I'm saying.

The Catholic church is everywhere, there are so many interactions with vulnerable children that their raw numbers are significantly higher than the rest but if the actual rate of offending (as in offenses per child) is lower than some other institution then we need to look at that institution first.

People have been saying in this thread that the catholic church needs to be taken care of because of this, and they should for covering things up, but we need to look at the data and see where the actual worst case is and start there - it might be the catholic church, but just as I expect there are lots more Mormon complaints in Utah - because that's where a lot are - there are a heap of catholic programs running here.

If any group is going to be first on the list of those banned, it should be the worst, not just the most prevalent.

You are missing the point - we need to start everywhere. We need to look at every institution at once. And when the opportunity comes to make an example of one institution we need to take it to ensure that the next institution or group or club or whatever does not do it.

It makes zero difference if they are Catholic, Jewish, the Boy Scouts or the local footy club.

Here we have another instance of a powerful institution thinking they have the right to ignore their statutory obligations just to protect their own reputation.

St Kevins has chosen to IGNORE THE LAW because apparently they are more important. There reputation is more important.

And to emphasise how obscenely arrogant they are they have chosen to do this right in the middle of the child abuse royal commission.

I have no idea how they - a school whose primary responsibility is children - decide to protect themselves over the rights of a child but that is precisely what they have done.

Every single time an institution does something like this they should be annihilated by all and sundry.

Maybe then they will stop. But apparently it is still only a maybe :rolleyes:

Every single time an institution does something like this they should be annihilated

Not sure this solves anything really, I'd rather see the people who commit crimes held accountable, those who facilitate or cover up reports removed, and the various institutions cleaned up.

Sounds like this Crowley has done exactly that at St Patrick's Ballarat, and my hope would be that St Kevin's gets a good clean-out and student welfare returns to being the first priority - as it should be.

3 high level staff have now gone in two days, we're starting to see ripple effects that involve numerous staff from other schools. I hope this doesn't start and end at just St Kevin's.

Not sure this solves anything really, I'd rather see the people who commit crimes held accountable, those who facilitate or cover up reports removed, and the various institutions cleaned up.

Sounds like this Crowley has done exactly that at St Patrick's Ballarat, and my hope would be that St Kevin's gets a good clean-out and student welfare returns to being the first priority - as it should be.

3 high level staff have now gone in two days, we're starting to see ripple effects that involve numerous staff from other schools. I hope this doesn't start and end at just St Kevin's.

Maybe annihilated is the wrong word. But what is happening at St Kevins is exactly what should happen - people should be held to account and this time they are.

And institutions like St Kevins MUST meet their statutory requirements.

Missing something is one thing - deliberately ignoring the law is completely another thing.

You are missing the point - we need to start everywhere. We need to look at every institution at once. And when the opportunity comes to make an example of one institution we need to take it to ensure that the next institution or group or club or whatever does not do it.

It makes zero difference if they are Catholic, Jewish, the Boy Scouts or the local footy club.

Here we have another instance of a powerful institution thinking they have the right to ignore their statutory obligations just to protect their own reputation.

St Kevins has chosen to IGNORE THE LAW because apparently they are more important. There reputation is more important.

And to emphasise how obscenely arrogant they are they have chosen to do this right in the middle of the child abuse royal commission.

I have no idea how they - a school whose primary responsibility is children - decide to protect themselves over the rights of a child but that is precisely what they have done.

Every single time an institution does something like this they should be annihilated by all and sundry.

Maybe then they will stop. But apparently it is still only a maybe :rolleyes:
I completely agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe annihilated is the wrong word. But what is happening at St Kevins is exactly what should happen - people should be held to account and this time they are.

Missing something is one thing - deliberately ignoring the law is completely another thing.

Hopefully wakes a few schools up who have swept incidents under the carpet before - wont hold me breath

Agree here, the allegation from the head of counselling that she was impeded from fulfilling mandatory reporting requirements is very serious.

I did read that and I want to see the figures so that when they say "rates" I can tell if they mean total instances or as a percentage of total interactions.

The former is not a rate. Thats not what the word means :) . A rate is a coparison between two values, usually measured as a percentage or ratio.

So for example, me pouring 4 liters of water into a bath is not a rate.

Me pouring 4 liters of water per hour into a bath is a rate.

Similarly, 10 catholic institutions found grooming children is not a rate.

10 in 100 catholic institutions found to be grooming children is a rate.

The article mentions comparisons of rates between groups, not total numbers. Your concern isn't warrented.

Last edited:
Maybe we need financial sanctions against these types of schools. Ie reduction of funding in cases like this.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe fines and also their ability to implement systemic child grooming practices like safe schools. Seems like appropriate punishment.

I'm not looking for what the Catholic church isn't the worst, I think they are the most prevalent in the community and have larger numbers because of it.

Running off on raw numbers leads to mistakes.
Institutional y they are by far the worst

Yep sounds like she's also very much in line for replacement if this allegation is true, fortunately the incoming Headmaster appears to have done the right things at St Patrick's Ballarat and isn't averse to making the necessary changes to clear out the detritus
If proven she could be in the big house for 3 years. Really is appalling from an entity that obviously has not learnt anything. How the board of the school isn't sacked, the head or Edmund Rice still has a job, and the local bishops are silent is just amazing.

The parents of kids going to that school just accept it?

If proven she could be in the big house for 3 years. Really is appalling from an entity that obviously has not learnt anything. How the board of the school isn't sacked, the head or Edmund Rice still has a job, and the local bishops are silent is just amazing.

The parents of kids going to that school just accept it?

Weird post.

It's been less than 3 days since that Four Corners report aired; the Headmaster and Dean of Sport were removed yesterday, the Deputy Headmaster stood down today, and a new Headmaster has commenced already.

To what extent the board has been involved prior to this I can't say, but they're certainly acting very quickly at the moment, and I'd imagine the parents of the students have raised a lot of their concerns directly with the school. Certainly I'd be very surprised if they're 'just accepting it' like you're trying to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back