Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

More of a chance this year than for last year, given the losses of Anderson and Fisher, but I'd be far from absolute about this.
We just do quirky things in the NB's and oddly somehow the NB's boys have had preference over the CFC listed mids' Anderson, Wilson, Fisher....

Other mids that will likely at least start at the NB's:
Seems to me that Kennedy is on a forward player or bust journey.
Philp? We'll see where he starts and I feel it may be in the backline or wing, with midfield minutes.
Dow may start here and given he's three years in now, he'd be the first call midfielder....you'd think.

Forward? I don't know. Just seems suited to be where the ball is.

With all the slick forward delivery honey will be providing our forwards, the ball will always be in our forward line.. So may as well put stocker there. 😜

I’m not sure. Jsos and maybe Kennedy don’t seem to have much aerial ability either though. I like the idea of having a solid body in the forward mix.

I'd rate Kennedy's ability overhead as very good, JSOS not quite as strong but makes up for it with footy smarts. I haven't noticed Stocker overhead yet, but needs to be a prerequisite for spending a lot of time forward.

I'd rate Kennedy's ability overhead as very good, JSOS not quite as strong but makes up for it with footy smarts. I haven't noticed Stocker overhead yet, but needs to be a prerequisite for spending a lot of time forward.

JSilvagni may surprise you this year then, as I've seen some strong aerial work from him this pre-season.

He's not the push-over he was in his first couple of years. Fair lump of a lad....as they say.

I thought Kennedy's overhead work was poor a few days ago. JSOS was getting hands to absolutely everything, at least.
Theres being good in the air and being capable of holding down a key position. Kennedy and JSOS are the former rather than the later. Can't expect them to compete with someone 4 inches taller.

JSilvagni may surprise you this year then, as I've seen some strong aerial work from him this pre-season.

He's not the push-over he was in his first couple of years. Fair lump of a lad....as they say.

I'm not sure it'll be a surprise, he has just lacked that little bit of strength to regularly clunk it. Will be a nice addition to his game when it comes.

Theres being good in the air and being capable of holding down a key position. Kennedy and JSOS are the former rather than the later. Can't expect them to compete with someone 4 inches taller.

Certainly, that is beyond the scope of their roles. A benefit is that Silvagni can neutralise contests with guys bigger than him now.

If we do require a 3rd tall, though, Silvagni is a superior option, both in the air and at ground level. Although, Kennedy is a much better set shot for goal.

Re Stocker,

I know it doesn’t make sense to have him forward,

But having him come on with the ressies in a forward pocket doesn’t make much sense either.

So, just trying to make some sense out of it. But perhaps there’s none.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There will be some 'trials' via the NB's this year. There often is.
The players I see being moved away from what may be seen to be their principle roles are -

BSilvagni spending more time forward - This sort of makes sense for his development and given list status. i.e. NB's will have plenty of tall backs.
Philp I'll be watching as to where he's going to play. It may likely be off a wing, but I just see a back spot for him opening up.
Polson as a small back-man - We said this months ago and Thursday proved that this will be the case.
Cottrell also playing off a wing. Wasn't his best game on Thursday, but that's no reason to forget about him. He's been terrific for most off the pre-season.

What I see with what may be something like our seconds squad, should all be up and running...at least to start -

Philp Goddard Polson
Marchbank Macreadie Newman

Pittonet Stocker Dow
Cottrell Kennedy O'Brien

Lang DeKoning Phillips
Honey BSilvagni Owies

Ramsay *Kemp **** ****

Of course there will be injuries and NB players will be included here and there as required, but maybe something like that should all be well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the 2 areas he needed to improve in to be impactful on matches, clunk the overhead marks & put it through the big sticks when it was his chance.

Would it be fair to say Pittonet is is in the Mumford-style mould?

Big, solid boy.
A real competitor.
Not super athletic, but doesn't mind throwing his body around. Has a bit of agro.
Not really going to too much around the ground, but a real presence at ruck contests....

Re Stocker,

I know it doesn’t make sense to have him forward,

But having him come on with the ressies in a forward pocket doesn’t make much sense either.

So, just trying to make some sense out of it. But perhaps there’s none.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clearly Teague is totally keeping him under wraps - I thought playing Cuningham one out in midfield was interesting as well.

Big, solid boy.
A real competitor.
Not super athletic, but doesn't mind throwing his body around. Has a bit of agro.
Not really going to too much around the ground, but a real presence at ruck contests....

Not quite that level of intensity. He could throw the body around in general play a bit more against the smaller players (without sniping like Mummy), but perhaps he hasn't got the endurance for that.

There will be some 'trials' via the NB's this year. There often is.
The players I see being moved away from what may be seen to be their principle roles are -

BSilvagni spending more time forward - This sort of makes sense for his development and given list status. i.e. NB's will have plenty of tall backs.
Philp I'll be watching as to where he's going to play. It may likely be off a wing, but I just see a back spot for him opening up.
Polson as a small back-man - We said this months ago and Thursday proved that this will be the case.
Cottrell also playing off a wing. Wasn't his best game on Thursday, but that's no reason to forget about him. He's been terrific for most off the pre-season.

What I see with what may be something like our seconds squad, should all be up and running...at least to start -

Philp Goddard Polson
Marchbank Macreadie Newman

Pittonet Stocker Dow
Cottrell Kennedy O'Brien

Lang DeKoning Phillips
Honey BSilvagni Owies

Ramsay *Kemp **** ****

Of course there will be injuries and NB players will be included here and there as required, but maybe something like that should all be well.
As long as Fraser prioritises our young mids over NB players I’ll be happy as we need them to get proper development, hopefully Power has a say being our main development man, we also need to be playing the same game style/plan as the seniors so that transition between the two is seamless.

As long as Fraser prioritises our young mids over NB players I’ll be happy as we need them to get proper development, hopefully Power has a say being our main development man, we also need to be playing the same game style/plan as the seniors so that transition between the two is seamless.

It hasn't been the case for quite a few years now and this goes back to when Lambert, Meese and Marcon were playing NB's

The only time our mids have taken precedence is when some senior players were coming back from injury or had a bout of poor form; Robinson, Ellard, Bell etc.

This year though will have to be different if for no other reason than the NB's aren't blessed with senior quality mids.

Big, solid boy.
A real competitor.

Perfect comparison

Big, solid boy.
A real competitor.

I'd say he's more like Nankervis, maybe McEvoy.

I'd say he's more like Nankervis, maybe McEvoy.

Yeah. Not much like Mumford at all.
The player that reminded me of Mumford was someone who never played AFL but was under our nose - Nick Meese.
If Nick was a few centimetres taller, things may have been a little different for him. Absolute brute of a player but 197cm and not particularly athletic...

Interesting watching the pies double and triple team Walsh and Crippa, then add in our other developing mid field beasts, Stocker, Setters, Kemp, Dow, etc, etc.
The opposition are going to be struggling to maintain the level of manning up to negate our play makers. They won't have enough taggers.
How sweet it is.
Exciting times ahead baggers 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back