MRP / Trib. 2024 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

And if players haven't done anything wrong, they will go to the tribunal and win.
You can't just legislate out all concussions. Accidents happen in a contact sport.
Totally agree, accidents happen in this game, but the majority of tackles are being suspended when players are concussed. Many of these tackles are within the rules of the game and fair, but momentum and variables come into play. Common sense plays a small part in the AFL system.

Totally agree, accidents happen in this game, but the majority of tackles are being suspended when players are concussed. Many of these tackles are within the rules of the game and fair, but momentum and variables come into play. Common sense plays a small part in the AFL system.
I am confused by your take on common sense TBH.

You tackle someone to the ground and their head hits the ground, you are risking suspension.
You bump someone and hit them in the head, you are risking suspension.

It is pretty simple really.

Tackle so their head doesn't hit the ground.
Bump so it doesn't hit your target in the head.

You tackle someone to the ground and their head hits the ground, you are risking suspension.

So why is it reoccurring?

It reminds me of the angst around Selwood getting paid frees for high contact.
You know what's going to happen so you adjust your approach, pretty simple, continuing with the same approach is just stupid knowing the likely outcome.

If the AFL was both logical and consistent this would make perfect sense.

But too many times players have gotten away with what should be suspensions whilst others have been penalised for significantly less.

Example - I agree with what Brayshaw said in the video I posted above about Crouch. I was genuinely less concerned with that bump than I was the sling tackle. I thought the sling tackle was worse and was previously an instant suspension while Crouch would have been applauded for courageous play despite Carroll being momentarily impacted. And Hogan's was worse than either of them the very next week (in my opinion).

Make it make sense. Please.

We have to remember that the AFL is a chicken s**t outfit that makes up the rules as they go along. They are beholden to the media and the gambling organisations for large amounts of money. And then finally, they are beholden to their own bank accounts come the end of the year when they're writing the big bonus cheques.

If the season has been profitable and the stakeholders (the media and the gambling organisations), they get to write themselves big arse bonus cheques. If there is a season like the COVID season, their cheques aren't that big and the stakeholders aren't that happy.

So, logics and common sense have no place in the modern game of Aussie Rules.

It reminds me of the angst around Selwood getting paid frees for high contact.
You know what's going to happen so you adjust your approach, pretty simple, continuing with the same approach is just stupid knowing the likely outcome.
Other footy leagues have been ahead of the AFL on dangerous tackles and the tackling techniques have adapted.
While the odd dangerous tackle and concussion from still do occur - the number and frequency have dropped over the last couple of years. Players & coaches know, anything that even remotely looks like a dangerous tackle is going to be dealt with harshly.
The only exception to this, is like the Charlie Cameron one. And while the action appeared dangerous, the player being tackled added to the risk of injury to try and get a free kick. This needs to be stamped out and I would personally like to see repercussions for these acts (knowing it wont happen).

Check out the Maynard vision …

Maynard was penalised for a tackle on Owies in the third quarter of the thrilling six-point victory, but has escaped suspension.

The MRO said Maynard didn't sling, drive or rotate the Blues forward into the ground with excessive force as Owies "both leans forward in the tackle and raises his right arm, leading to Maynard falling with and on top of" him.

I thought Owies definitely contributed to that tackle significantly, didn’t think it was even a free kick

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Owies definitely contributed to that tackle significantly, didn’t think it was even a free kick

If Owies doesnt lean forward in the tackle his is pile driven into the ground and risks severe neck injury, it was absolutely a driving tackle and was extremely dangerous.

When seeing it on tv it looked absolutely terrible and I am shocked (but not really) that it was merely a fine.

Would this tackle be allowed or accepted in NRL?

If Owies doesnt lean forward in the tackle his is pile driven into the ground and risks severe neck injury, it was absolutely a driving tackle and was extremely dangerous.

When seeing it on tv it looked absolutely terrible and I am shocked (but not really) that it was merely a fine.

AFL doesn't allow "proper tackles" - rugby codes banned that kind of thing decades ago - because they allow proper tackles. AFL tackling is a running joke in rugby codes for good reason(s)

These are all the things that have been banned in rugy : bumps(hip and shoulders), spear tackles, one arm throws ( slings)

AFL forces danger onto player by calling below the knee tackles 'trips' ( what a disgusting joke that is) and passes 'throws' ( that one makes me larf the hardest because most layers 'throw the ball)

now it is also allowed to drop the ball once contact is made/tackled so incorrect disposal isn't even enforced

it is a dog's breakfast of nonsense.

I feel sorry for the ups and supporters tbh - un - umpireable.

Check out the Maynard vision …

After Owies kicked the goal he stirred them up a bit - as he usually does.

It was funny how players from both sides were all having a bit of a laugh during the pushing and shoving.

Maybe something Owies said...I love how he gets into their faces but I don't think filth players took it too seriously going by all the laughing going on :tearsofjoy:

Nah, I’d be absolutely livid if it was a Collingwood player that received a free for that, let alone a suspension to the Carlton player

Do Collingwood challenge the Schultz punch for insufficient force? Say it wasn't meant for the head and slipped up?

AFL have kind of set a precedent letting Hogan off for his hit on Young

Nah, I’d be absolutely livid if it was a Collingwood player that received a free for that, let alone a suspension to the Carlton player

I’m obviously much softer than you but that tackle had a very high degree of potential to cause severe head/neck injury because he upended Owies and forcibly thrust him toward the ground.

In my mind definitely worth a free and because it was the thug Maynard who has a history of trying to inflict injury I would have given him ooohh let’s say 6 weeks!!!!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back